Hide
7 Posts

Cthulhu Wars» Forums » Rules

Subject: Hastur's vengence, target a specific unit or type of unit? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
shion smith
msg tools
So can Hastur say he wants to pain/kill the specific cultist controlling a gate assuming there are several cultists in the location?

The reason this might come up is if Hastur has a cultist with him and wants to claim the gate with his unlimited action afterwards.

Oh and in 2p mode... Yellow Signs power says he must give 3 doom to "another player" as opposed to another faction. I assume he can give the 3 doom to the other faction the player controls?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Cochran
United States
Costa Mesa
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
As far as I know, Hastur gets to say "that figure right there, that's the one I'm killing. Yummy!" So yeah, he can pick the cultist on the gate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
shion smith
msg tools
Ah that's nasty as a last action when the opponent is out of power and can't recap before gather power phase... especially with Hastur's ability to use He Who Shall Not Be Named to show up anywhere.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Andersson
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shion_ca wrote:
Oh and in 2p mode... Yellow Signs power says he must give 3 doom to "another player" as opposed to another faction. I assume he can give the 3 doom to the other faction the player controls?

Correct. I saw Sandy say on here once that as far as the game and rules are concerned each faction is a separate player, even if they're controlled by the same person for 2 vs 2.

I really don't think the game rules were written with the 2-player game in mind. You just have to act as if it's a 4-player game with two teams.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
shion_ca wrote:

I assumed it was exactly because of two-player games that the text says "player" instead of "faction". Either way, it just doesn't feel right to be allowed to choose your other faction for this benefit.

On the other question, I thought it was a kind of golden rule that units lost are always chosen by the player losing them, and having other cultists in the same area would prevent losing the one controlling the gate. How about Cthulhu's pre-battle ability?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Starks
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hastur's Vengeance ability explicitly breaks that golden rule. Cthulhu's Devour does not, and so when fighting him multiple Cultists can act as a shield for the one on the gate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Mendiola
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd recommend future questions re-reading the ability in question or the FAQ. The ability description answers this question.

Quote:
Vengeance: (Post Battle) If Hastur is involved in a Battle, choose which Combat results are applied to which enemy Unit.(e.g. apply a Kill to a particular Great Old One)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.