Subject: Suggestions for a board game comparable to a miniature game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James Staley
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hello all,
I am once again looking for some suggestions on a game and now have a slightly better understanding of what I want.

I've been playing Chain of command by toofatlardies (sort of) but whilst I love the mechanics thanks to my lack of time/space/effort I'm playing with unpainted minis and stand in terrain which isn't really delivering the experience of a miniatures game.

I don't intend to give up on it but I do want some alternative that gives me a similar feel.

Can anyone make a suggestion for a WW2 wargame which might fit. The key parts I think I want from it are:
Roughly platoon sized games ideally squads/sections broken down to teams
Some kind of command and control limitation. I like the command dice of chain of command but I appreciate an exact match is unlikely.
Reasonable reward for appropriate tactics. My knowledge of WW2 is not high but from what I have read chain of command does do this.

Cost isn't a huge factor in terms of decision - just how long it takes me to buy.

Thanks for opinions as always. James.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Zettlemoyer
United States
Fort Washington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Live It, Love it
badge
If This Be Doomsday...
mbmbmbmbmb
While I have it, but haven't played it, maybe look at Heroes of Normandie?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will H
United States
Canonsburg
PA
flag msg tools
You might enjoy Combat Commander: Europe.

It seems to satisfy most of your requirements: ww2 theme, roughly platoon sized with soldiers organized into squads and teams, command and control limitations, a reasonable degree of realism. In your previous post, you indicated that you are interested in something you could play solo. That is the only drawback: because CC is a card drive game, it is difficult to play by yourself. Fortunately, the game is popular, so it shouldn't be too difficult to scare up an opponent, either in person or over VASSAL. Also, several BGG users have created solo variants, though I have not tried any of them and cannot comment on their quality.

Hope that helps!

Also, it looks like you have a little one. If you are interested in a ww2 wargame that is kid-friendly (age 10-12), check out Memoir 44. Arguably, it is less realistic than its competitors, but it is easily one of the most accessible wargames on the market.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Staley
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thanks both.

I had briefly looked at heroes of Normandie. seems quite simple and looks great.

Admittedly I haven't given it much research but the platoon structures didn't seem quite right based on the stuff I've seen.

For the other stuff. Yes solo would be good. I'm fairly comfortable playing both sides but I guess anything which should be really hidden wouldn't work well.

And finally in terms of my daughter, we've found some games we enjoy and she doesn't really have an interest in WW2 so this one's really just for me and complexity isn't a deal breaker on this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Nemo
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Superfurrymaniac wrote:
Hello all,

I don't intend to give up on it but I do want some alternative that gives me a similar feel.

Do check for a local club on the CLUBS & SOCIETIES page.
http://www.newarkirregulars.org.uk
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Schulz
United States
Saint Michael
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Available on Ebay...

Squad Leader
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Luksich
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Going to round out the usual suspects with Conflict of Heroes: Awakening the Bear! (second edition). Simple but interesting rules that cover everything from infantry to mortars to tanks. It consists of a series of many quick turns (Each turn consists of one action, regardless of if it is shooting, moving, rallying, or sending a wave of Soviet infantry forward) which keeps both sides pretty well engaged throughout the whole game. And it plays up to four!

But regardless I think you won't be short of good options for WWII tactical boardgames!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sergeants Miniatures Game might be a good choice. It has miniatures but still uses a board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vance Strickland
Canada
Nepean
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kentreuber wrote:
Sergeants Miniatures Game might be a good choice. It has miniatures but still uses a board.

And the minis come painted. Fun game... a bit pricey for some though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Escobedo
United States
Rockville
MD
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gettysburg: The Wheatfield is basically a minis game played with counters.

Jesse
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Logs
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out Tide of Iron: Next Wave

It has active expansions and a support base.

[edit: adding the original game link that has more reference info: Tide of Iron]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Cawley
United States
Anthem
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Conflict of Heroes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron A
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Tobruk: Tank Battles in North Africa 1942-- I used to play this back in the day. While I've never played any actual miniatures rules, Tobruk has been compared to a hex and counter version of miniatures-- see here: http://mapandcounters.blogspot.com/2009/05/tahgc-tobruk-tank... for example. OOP for ages, it shouldn't be TOO hard to find on secondary market.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Stewart
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
Matthews & Moorcock Magnificent Magicians of the Multiverse
mbmbmbmbmb
As someone who has played both Chain of Command AND Heroes of Normandie, I'd suggest using the latter's pieces but with the former's rules, seeing as you like the command & control, and force structure of CoC. It has been something that has crossed my mind to try, for when I don't want to set up a miniatures table.
You just need to work out a conversion of the inch ranges of CoC to the scale of HoN - as the HoN pieces are as near as dammit to 15mm scale you almost don't need to convert, you really only need to use more tiles than in a standard HoN game because those scenarios are more close range affairs.
And use markers for casualties on the tiles as they are multi-figure pieces.

While good games in their own right, all the previous suggestions are games that DON'T have command & control mechanisms anywhere near as well modelled as Chain of Command.
And something like Memoir 44 has no relation to WW2 platoon/company force composition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Bosmans
Belgium
Mechelen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JasonC wrote:

Conflict of Heroes.

It is the only boardgame where my boards and counters are being stocked and cared for as if they were miniatures.

Incredible detailed and superbly coated 1" (!) counters and winner of around 25 award prices in gaming land (from 2008 till 2013).

Nothing comes even close and wait till this sytem gets its SOLO ... expansion (this year finally)... developped by John H. Butterfield (!) (Ambush/RAF/Omaha Beachhead,...) himself.

/ End of discussion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew N
United States
Rochester
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Panzer (second edition)/MBT (second edition) and Huzzah! Four Battles of the American Civil War Vol. 1 are both evolutions of game series that have started off as board wargames, morphed into miniatures games, and then back to board wargames.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Staley
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
There's almost too much choice.

Thanks for all the suggestions, the idea of just using the minis rules I'm used to with counters from another game is pretty appealing so I'm tempted to try that. Just a case of deciding which lend themselves best to that purpose, HoN may up there since I do like the style.

Other than that, now I have some suggestions I'll get out there and watch some vids of them in action to get some more detail.

Thanks again, James,

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Walters
United States
Chesterfield
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
"...the art of manoeuvering armies...an art which none may master by the light of nature. but to which, if he is to attain success, a man must serve a long apprenticeship." -- G.F.R. Henderson
mbmbmbmbmb
wernervoss wrote:
Panzer (second edition)/MBT (second edition) and Huzzah! Four Battles of the American Civil War Vol. 1 are both evolutions of game series that have started off as board wargames, morphed into miniatures games, and then back to board wargames.

Strongly second this recommendation/observation! I would also add that both systems, while begun as board games, had borrowed so many things from miniatures systems that it was easy to convert them to miniatures systems.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lots of good choices here. For solitaire, look for Ambush! or Ranger or NUTS! Second Edition (individual soldiers).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Lund
Denmark
Århus
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Yes, Beware the Geek bringing gifts!
mbmbmbmbmb
wernervoss wrote:

Thirded!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.