Hide
6 Posts

Smash Up» Forums » Variants

Subject: Custom Faction: The Underdogs! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel F
msg tools
Hey all, I would love feedback! Please be as harsh as you want, I welcome the criticism!

The Underdogs (They are all adorable little puppies)
The Underdogs are here to save the day! Well..maybe... These little pups may not seem like much, but count them out too early and you may be in for a nasty surprise as they build of power for the endgame.

NOTE: All minions have a printed power of 1

Underdog Avenger-Ongoing: Gains 1 power for each Underdog minion in your discard pile
Search Underdog-Talent: If you have 2 or less power on this base, you may play an extra minion here this turn.
Hound Underdog(x4)-Gains +2 power for each Hound Underdog in the discard pile
Lap Underdog- Talent: Choose a minion. That minion’s power is 1 until the end of the turn.
Guard Underdog – Talent: Choose a minion of power 1 or less. That minion cannot be destroyed until the start of your next turn.
Bull Underdog- Talent: choose another minion of power 1 or less. Increase that minion’s power by 4 until the end of the turn.
Underdog Cheerleader- You may put a +1 power counter on as many minions in play as you would like

Plot Twist!- Each of your minions of power 1 or less has 5 power, regardless of other modifiers, until the end of the turn
Underdoghouse- Play on a base. Your minions here are not affected by other players’ abilities
Cryin’ All the Time--Play on a base. After this base scores, if you do not get 1st place on this base, gain 1VP. This card is not affected by other players’ actions
Ain’t Nothin’ But an Underdog-- Play on a base. Your minions of power 1 or less are not affected by other players’ abilities
Well That Was Just a Lie – Special. Play before a base scores. If you have less power here than any other player, you may play an extra minion and/or destroy one minion of power 4 or less.
They said you was Low-classed- Play on a minion. Talent: If this minion has the least power on this base, you may draw a card
You Ain’t No Friend of Mine(x2)- Play on a minion. This minion has -3 power.
Underdog Whistle– Reveal the top 5 cards of your deck. Put each Underdog minion (if any) into either your hand or discard pile. Return the other cards in any order.
You Ain’t Caught a Rabbit - Special. Play after a base scores. If you did not score any points on that base, you may search the base deck for a base and play that base as the replacement. Shuffle the base deck.

Hydrant(10) -- 0, 3, 1 — Minions of power 3 or more cannot be played or moved here
Underdog Pound(20)—3,2,2 -- Minions of power 2 or less on this base are not affected by other players’ abilities
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Hurley
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Original mechanical theme. I like it. My suggestions:

Minions:
Change out a Hound Underdog (3 copies instead of 4) for a Search Underdog (2 copies instead of 1). That way, their power caps at 5 instead of 7.

Avoid using Power Tokens/Madness Cards in your decks. They're (so far) reserved for factions from their respective expansions. So, change your Hound Cheerleader to Ongoing: +1 power for all your minions or something.

Actions:
Plot Twist! is incredibly overpowered. (For reference: Dinosaur's Augmentation gives +4 power, Horses' Space Armour might give between +6-10 on a good play. This card can very easily hit +20) Reduce the strength, or better yet ditch it altogether and double up on another action. My suggestion would be "They Said you was Low-Classed."

Bases:
I don't think anyone would ever play minions on the hydrant as is (Terraforming plays not withstanding). Change the point spread to 1,1,1 at least.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel F
msg tools
Thanks for the feedback! Here's why I made those choices:

Quote:
Change out a Hound Underdog (3 copies instead of 4) for a Search Underdog (2 copies instead of 1). That way, their power caps at 5 instead of 7.

I did consider making only 3 hound dogs. I settled on posting 4 here, but that's something I'm looking to playtest. Maybe I'll start with 3!

Quote:
Avoid using Power Tokens/Madness Cards in your decks. They're (so far) reserved for factions from their respective expansions. So, change your Hound Cheerleader to Ongoing: +1 power for all your minions or something.

I know some people are against using PCs or Madness outside of their "home" expansions, and I see why it makes sense, but I guess I just don't share that reservation! I think that having just a few ways to get them adds a little synergy with those factions, and at least in my play group the power counter factions are rarely used. Madness cards require components all players may not have, so I understand leaving them out, but power counters don't have the same limitation, so I like the idea of more factions using them--obviously that's preference.

Quote:
Actions:
Plot Twist! is incredibly overpowered. (For reference: Dinosaur's Augmentation gives +4 power, Horses' Space Armour might give between +6-10 on a good play. This card can very easily hit +20) Reduce the strength, or better yet ditch it altogether and double up on another action. My suggestion would be "They Said you was Low-Classed."

I agree that Plot Twist! is very powerful, but I really like the idea. I can adjust the power with playtesting, but here's why I made it so high off the bat: each minion has only 1 power. That is really, really detrimental. Other "normal" factions average 2.7, so about 3. If you consider how below the average these are to begin with, it's really only a +2 from "average." Now, obviously, by not having that "average" amount out there, you gain the ability to make a bigger surprise play with that action, but they are just so frustratingly weak that they need a few cards to let them make big plays, because they probably aren't going to be winning many bases otherwise. Unless The Factory is out, it will almost always be a less good action than Terraforming (maybe a bit of an unfair comparison because Terraforming is a bit broken), and the alien minions seem better than these on top of that. It IS an augmentation level boost on all your minions, but with augmentation all your minions start significantly higher. Balance is hard...

Quote:
Bases:
I don't think anyone would ever play minions on the hydrant as is (Terraforming plays not withstanding). Change the point spread to 1,1,1 at least.

I totally agree about Hydrant. It's definitely the card in this set I like least--I just didn't have a great idea. It would put another unnecessary notch in Terraforming's belt (the "trick players into playing all their power on this base then swap it for a base where they get nothing for winning" notch). I could keep the same base ability but make it a more normal 3-2-1?

Thanks again!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mat Effect
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like some ideas of this deck. In fact, I have my own custom deck I'm testing and editing which use a similar mechanich.

My thoughts about Underdogs: I understand you only have minions of power 1, but many of they grow as the game goes on.

In my opinion, Plot Twist is overpowered. All your minions grow up to 5 Power... You can break all the Bases in play at the same time with only that card. Maybe the effect should apply only to all your minions ON ONE BASE. I repeat, your minions grow with the discard pile, you don't are so underpowered if you play well. Even more,some of your minions substract or give power to others. With this deck, the only thing you don't want to happen is to draw your last card of your deck to shuffle the discard pile.

Mmm maybe I see sinergy with Phantoms, discarding cards from your deck to give power to your minions in play.

Crying all the time, i think should be destroyable. It seems many of your Actions are designed to say "I always win whatever you do". Once more, I understand you don't have minions with great printed power, but a think i see fun in board games the interaction among players. I want to piss them off ruining their strategies with my cards, for example. You don't have to play that Action in turn one, for example, and wait what happens later. You can -and should play it- when the Base is near to break or breaking and your opponents doesn't have time or cards to destroy that Action. some actions of this deck seem have like an autopilot mode to victory. For the other hand, not every faction has to be powerful to be an "always win". Some factions are to support others. Ninjas are great to support, they use to be runners up.

Underdog house is good. Only one base for the effect. But I don't see the same with Aint nothing but an underdog. Reading the card I understand this affect to all your minions in play, not on one Base. Psss. But most important: how many time will you have these underdogs with Power 1 if they grow as turns pass? Maybe this card doesn't need changes, but I should need test it.

Even all my sugestions, i think this could be a good faction, and as I said, I like some ideas. Congrats!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J M
msg tools
i liked it except for all the Elvis themed card names.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel F
msg tools
Quote:
In my opinion, Plot Twist is overpowered. All your minions grow up to 5 Power... You can break all the Bases in play at the same time with only that card. Maybe the effect should apply only to all your minions ON ONE BASE. I repeat, your minions grow with the discard pile, you don't are so underpowered if you play well. Even more,some of your minions substract or give power to others. With this deck, the only thing you don't want to happen is to draw your last card of your deck to shuffle the discard pile.

Okay--now that two different people have said this, maybe I'll start playtesting at 4 power for that card instead of 5. I do think that, like you said in a comment later, some of your P1 minions will already be modified higher, so it's not like ALL your minions will suddenly be boosted, just the power 1s

Quote:
Crying all the time, i think should be destroyable. It seems many of your Actions are designed to say "I always win whatever you do". Once more, I understand you don't have minions with great printed power, but a think i see fun in board games the interaction among players. I want to piss them off ruining their strategies with my cards, for example. You don't have to play that Action in turn one, for example, and wait what happens later. You can -and should play it- when the Base is near to break or breaking and your opponents doesn't have time or cards to destroy that Action. some actions of this deck seem have like an autopilot mode to victory. For the other hand, not every faction has to be powerful to be an "always win". Some factions are to support others. Ninjas are great to support, they use to be runners up.

Yeah, after thinking about this a bit more, I think you're right. It should be destroyable.

Quote:
Underdog house is good. Only one base for the effect. But I don't see the same with Aint nothing but an underdog. Reading the card I understand this affect to all your minions in play, not on one Base. Psss. But most important: how many time will you have these underdogs with Power 1 if they grow as turns pass? Maybe this card doesn't need changes, but I should need test it.

Yeah I agree, this could be overpowered, but my thinking was since these are weak, they need protection because they are easily destroyed by any destroy effect. That's also why I limited it to P1 minions though, so they wouldn't just always be protected. Needs testing.

Quote:
Even all my sugestions, i think this could be a good faction, and as I said, I like some ideas. Congrats!

Thanks, and thanks for all the suggestions/feedback! I really appreciate it!

Combatclown wrote:
i liked it except for all the Elvis themed card names.

Haha Thanks! I'm not a huge Elvis fan either, but it's a pretty iconic song to go with the "dog" thing. I could be persuaded to change it if I had another idea

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.