Popular Tags: [View All]
Bill Saunders
United States
Hot Springs
Arkansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I made a magnet for it when I did my magnetized board, hoping to come up with a little more Alliance interaction. Here's an idea for how it would work:

What do we think?

The idea would be that, depending on your situation, you might actually want to move this ship toward yourself.

It also would give a little incentive to stay solid with Harken, whose jobs we tend to skip over pretty regularly.

(As for the layout, I had an idea to make cards like this, that are the same size as standard game cards, for some house rules so they can be displayed along with the story card during a game.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I like the idea, but have a few thoughts and questions:

1) Is it safe to assume the ASREV can go anywhere? That it's not limited to Alliance Space?

2) I'm not sure about the movement mechanism. I like that you're having the Alliance Cruiser cards do double duty, but given the way you have things designed, it seems like it would be possible to sic both the Alliance Cruiser and ASREV on the same player at the same time. Hard to pull off, true, but just the idea that it could happen seems, to me, problematic.

BTW, I feel like it should also move off the Customs Inspections cards, but that's just me.

3) As written, the bad stuff happens if the ASREV enters your Sector. Does that mean you can safely enter ITS Sector?

4) The negative effects: I don't love that there are three different options and that the player next to you picks. It could be the traditionalist in me, but I'd rather seem something similar to the Alliance Contact Event and Reaver Contact Event, maybe even with 2 options (for example, one is a high [12] Negotiate test to avoid effects like Customs Inspection, and the other is something comparable to a Crazy Ivan, but with a Warrant issue... so I guess basically the Local Tariff Patrol Nav Card!).

5) I like the positive effects if you're Solid with Harken. I don't think I have any comments or questions here, although to me, turning in a bounty for half price is a positive thing, so I'd see it as something you can do if Solid with Harken.

6) I like your card (similar, actually, to my NPC cards), but for some reason, I'm envisioning something like a Job card, with a picture on the front and "Solid" rules, and then you flip it over for a Nav Card-like negative encounter...

BTW, I don't know if you've seen Shadowstar Corsairs yet. Ryan's got a very nice ship with Alliance lines that would be a great ASREV proxy ship!

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/172006/shadowstar-cor...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C David Dent
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'd make ASREV moves into sectors with Reaver alert tokens clear those sectors automatically.

I like the idea of the ASREV moving on custom's inspections.

As George points out, enting the sector with the ASREV isn't detailed. IMHO it should be free to enter. Keep the only resolution for when the ASREV enters your sector.

I see no reason to limit the negative penalties to just one. If they have an illegal job, contraband and a fugitive then it sucks to be them! Solid with Harken could have avoided all that unpleasantness.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Saunders
United States
Hot Springs
Arkansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gwek wrote:
I like the idea, but have a few thoughts and questions:

1) Is it safe to assume the ASREV can go anywhere? That it's not limited to Alliance Space?

Yes, it has no borders.

gwek wrote:
2) I'm not sure about the movement mechanism. I like that you're having the Alliance Cruiser cards do double duty, but given the way you have things designed, it seems like it would be possible to sic both the Alliance Cruiser and ASREV on the same player at the same time. Hard to pull off, true, but just the idea that it could happen seems, to me, problematic.

An easy addition would be that the Cruiser trumps the ASREV, or that they can't share the same space.

gwek wrote:
BTW, I feel like it should also move off the Customs Inspections cards, but that's just me.

I like it!

gwek wrote:
3) As written, the bad stuff happens if the ASREV enters your Sector. Does that mean you can safely enter ITS Sector?

Need to rewrite that. You can, but then you'd have to resolve the encounter.

gwek wrote:
4) The negative effects: I don't love that there are three different options and that the player next to you picks. It could be the traditionalist in me, but I'd rather seem something similar to the Alliance Contact Event and Reaver Contact Event, maybe even with 2 options (for example, one is a high [12] Negotiate test to avoid effects like Customs Inspection, and the other is something comparable to a Crazy Ivan, but with a Warrant issue... so I guess basically the Local Tariff Patrol Nav Card!).

Hmm...I thought that would give a little flavor to it. The player inflicting the damage gets to decide what bribe the ASREV wants from the other ship. I'll have to look at the Tariff card a bit more.

gwek wrote:
5) I like the positive effects if you're Solid with Harken. I don't think I have any comments or questions here, although to me, turning in a bounty for half price is a positive thing, so I'd see it as something you can do if Solid with Harken.

I guess for some, it would be positive, but to most, it's a paycut. I guess in a pinch, you could move it toward yourself, and get a quick buck out of the deal.

gwek wrote:
6) I like your card (similar, actually, to my NPC cards), but for some reason, I'm envisioning something like a Job card, with a picture on the front and "Solid" rules, and then you flip it over for a Nav Card-like negative encounter...

I'll have to look at yours. Where is that thread? I was thinking of making more of these for various things. The story cards I did all had lengthy Setup rules, so I thought titleing them and making a seperate rule card might make the design of them a bit easier, plus, it would give something new in rounds where you were just looking for a setup to mix things up a bit. You could even make a whole deck of random setup scenarios that gets drawn from, it just would be a little simpler than the current setup cards GF9 is releasing.

Here are a few samples:

Two of them come straight from story cards I did, but only Drifting is going to stay on. Moral Compass was too inconvenient, and I think the last card I did with just the final Goal being different based on Morality worked a lot better. But, Moral Compass would make playing any game a lot more difficult, so it might be a fun one to throw in once in a while.

gwek wrote:
BTW, I don't know if you've seen Shadowstar Corsairs yet. Ryan's got a very nice ship with Alliance lines that would be a great ASREV proxy ship!

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/172006/shadowstar-cor...

Any other thoughts?
I need to look at that a bit more, but it looks awesome!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Saunders
United States
Hot Springs
Arkansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MrDave2176 wrote:
I'd make ASREV moves into sectors with Reaver alert tokens clear those sectors automatically.

Interesting...that could be very useful!

MrDave2176 wrote:
I like the idea of the ASREV moving on custom's inspections.

Me, too.

MrDave2176 wrote:
As George points out, enting the sector with the ASREV isn't detailed. IMHO it should be free to enter. Keep the only resolution for when the ASREV enters your sector.

Possibly. I guess maybe they don't notice you if you come toward them.

MrDave2176 wrote:
I see no reason to limit the negative penalties to just one. If they have an illegal job, contraband and a fugitive then it sucks to be them! Solid with Harken could have avoided all that unpleasantness.

True, but I think I'll keep it where only one penalty hits, that way it's not too terribly inconvenient. But, one of the main things I'm hoping is that it will give us a little incentive to work Harken jobs. We totally ignore him when we play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C David Dent
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
phideaux1 wrote:
MrDave2176 wrote:

Possibly. I guess maybe they don't notice you if you come toward them.

More like if they aren't after you they don't care about you. Out on the rim, they only care about the stuff they are getting paid to care about.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Jones
Australia
flag msg tools
I LOVE this idea Bill. I love it, and agree there needs to be more incentive for Harken jobs (although if it’s going to rim/border space I’d change the name from “short range” to “long range”).

I’d like to use your idea in my own games, but I'd like to experiment with a slightly different approach as follows:

When an alliance alert token is activated, roll two dice instead of one. If BOTH dice are less than or equal to the number of tokens, the Alliance cruiser appears as normal. If only ONE die is less than or equal, the ASREV appears instead.

The ASREV leaves an alert token behind just like the Alliance Cruiser when it moves.

The encounter itself would have a card like the Reaver Cutter and Alliance Cruiser as follows:

Option 1:
Deal 9
1-8: Choose: either move the Alliance Cruiser to this sector, or keep flying and warrant issued.
9+: Keep flying

Option 2:
Requires Solid with Harken
For each Harken job you have completed, you gain:
+1 to all skill rolls in this sector this turn; and
+$100 for any Harken job you complete this turn

Not only would this reward you for doing a Harken job, it would encourage you to do more as the bonus payout grows.

I also love the idea for a far-reaching Alliance presence that can sweep up reaver alert tokens, but I think that might deserve an additional ship. Probably a terrifying ship.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C David Dent
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
AceOfShades wrote:
I also love the idea for a far-reaching Alliance presence that can sweep up reaver alert tokens, but I think that might deserve an additional ship. Probably a terrifying ship.

Alternatively you could jut roll for the token as usual but on a 'reaver contact' the ASREF disappears from that location and is "redeployed" from Londinium.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Personally, I think I might like the idea that the ASREV would be in Border/Rim Space, and leave Alliance Space to the Cruiser.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Saunders
United States
Hot Springs
Arkansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gwek wrote:
Personally, I think I might like the idea that the ASREV would be in Border/Rim Space, and leave Alliance Space to the Cruiser.

That would solve a problem I thought of: what happens if you run into the ASREV and the Cruiser at the same time?

Maybe drawing the tariff card gets it redeployed to an unoccupied planetary sector, so it can hop from one side of the board to the other on a whim occasionally.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
My take is a little different from yours, but I was thinking of something like this:

SET-UP AND BASICS

-- The Border Magistrate has a set starting point (I'm thinking the previous Reaver set-up point, Silverhold [because that's where Womack was working from], or maybe Hera [because of placement on the map])
-- The Border Magistrate cannot enter Alliance Space, but can move freely between Border and Rim Space
-- The Border Magistrate automatically clears Reaver Tokens
-- The Border Magistrate cannot enter a Sector occupied by a Reaver Cutter. If a Reaver Cutter moves to the Sector occupied by the Border Magistrate, the player moving the Reaver Cutter moves the Border Magistrate to an adjacent Sector

MOVEMENT

-- If a player moves the Alliance Cruiser for any reason, they must also move the Border Magistrate one Sector
-- If a player draws the Customs Inspection or Local Tariff Patrol Nav Card, the player to their right must move the Border Magistrate to a Planetary Sector in Border or Rim Space not occupied by a Firefly.

MEETING THE MAGISTRATE

If you are Solid with Harken, +3 Fight to all Fight tests while in the same Sector as the Border Magistrate. You may use a Work Action to turn in a Bounty, regardless of drop-off point. Cut pay in half, rounded down. Bonuses are unaffected.

If you are not Solid with Harken and begin your turn in the same Sector as the Border Magistrate, resolve the Border Magistrate Event immediately.

(I have mixed feelings on this -- I sort of like the idea that you only resolve it if the ship enters you're Sector, to make it different from the other NPC ships), but I think the logistics are too hard to keep track of.

BORDER MAGISTRATE EVENT

OPTION 1: MAYBE WE CAN SORT THIS OUT

Pay $300 for each Warrant.

Negotiate 12+ Bribes
1-11 Contraband & Fugitives not in your Stash are seized. If Flying, Full Stop.
12+ Proceed.

OPTION 2: TURN AND BURN

-- Spend 1 Fuel.
-- Warrant Issued.
-- Evade.

(That turned out to be more intricate than I was planning...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger BW
United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Buckinghamshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gwek wrote:
Game-wise that's good, but isn't it a Short Range Enforcement Vessel? Maybe it would make more sense to use it in Alliance Space as the Cruiser, and move the Cruiser outside.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Firedrake wrote:
gwek wrote:
Game-wise that's good, but isn't it a Short Range Enforcement Vessel? Maybe it would make more sense to use it in Alliance Space as the Cruiser, and move the Cruiser outside.

Note that I changed the name to avoid the "short-range" problem.

On one hand, I agree with you. On the other, I believe Book refers to Womack being more than 10 sectors from Silverhold, no? Assuming Sector is roughly comparable to the game, it's definitely not "short range."

More importantly, from a gameplay point of view, unless there's going to be an ASREV on each side of the board -- or if the intention is to keep the ASREV focused on a limited area -- it has to have some way to get across the board fairly quickly, because the players do.

I was also thinking of this as I do the Reaver Cutter(s): as a representative ship, not a literal one. My assumption is not that there are three Reaver Cutters roaming the 'Verse, but rather dozens or hundreds, and those 3 cutters represent the in-game encounters.

To be completely open, though, yes, I was thinking more in terms of game mechanics than the name of the ship.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Dawson
Canada
Kelowna
BC
flag msg tools
mb
As suggested by another poster a while back (I forgot who), I think that this ship should also cause a showdown if you have wanted crew with bounties that are currently active.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hey, Bill... Is this one dead due to the Operative's Corvette in Kalidasa, or will you still play with it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Saunders
United States
Hot Springs
Arkansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gwek wrote:
Hey, Bill... Is this one dead due to the Operative's Corvette in Kalidasa, or will you still play with it?

I think so, until we see how the Corvette plays. My buddies and I actually stopped using the ASREV, just because it was a bit of a pain to remember to move it, and we tended to just move it away from everything rather than moving it toward us for help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I've been thinking a little about this thread and although I want to see how things play out in Kalidasa, I think some of the ideas might be re-taskable to an Operative Contact deck.

Imagine, if you will, if you could go on covert jobs for the Operative and being Solid with him allowed you to call on Alliance resources to help further your own goals...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Saunders
United States
Hot Springs
Arkansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gwek wrote:
I've been thinking a little about this thread and although I want to see how things play out in Kalidasa, I think some of the ideas might be re-taskable to an Operative Contact deck.

Imagine, if you will, if you could go on covert jobs for the Operative and being Solid with him allowed you to call on Alliance resources to help further your own goals...

Interesting...I like it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.