Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Tan
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
That's me and my other pastime. I perform as John Lennon in several Beatles tribute acts.
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyone know the merits of linen versus non-linen finish cardboard components - other than the obvious difference in look and feel? There isn't much difference in printing cost. Are linen components more durable? What do you personally prefer?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cody Miller
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In my experience linen embossing slightly increased the bleed area for my die-cut components. I had to make some late-game adjustments that I hadn't planned on for some of the smaller die-cut components.. I think there are different ways to arrive at a linen finish, so I'd ask for samples before moving ahead with that route.

Cheers, -Cody
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
Waunakee (madison area)
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
durability does depend of how its used but as a general materials rule adding a linen component adds strength by being a better (longer) chain fiber. Adding linen to paper will make it less likely to crack or crease.
That being said I think you should choose the option that will give you the best finish, because you kinda talking like its still a comparable material thickness and that it is thick. So are you able to see a sample to see if color or bleed is a concern?
I usually like whatever give me the most dense feeling
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randal Marsh
United States
Pleasant Grove
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
www.TinShoeGames.com
badge
www.TinShoeGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
maf man wrote:
durability does depend of how its used but as a general materials rule adding a linen component adds strength by being a better (longer) chain fiber. Adding linen to paper will make it less likely to crack or crease.

I believe the OP is talking about the linen-texture embossing that is done on components after they are printed.

I find the linen finish to be more important on cards than on other components. The linen finish allows air to be between cards which affects the way they move against each other (and other things). I don't have a strong opinion on other components. The linen finish makes art harder to see, but it does feel a bit fancy I guess.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Holger Doessing
Denmark
Odense
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Boit wrote:
I find the linen finish to be more important on cards than on other components. The linen finish allows air to be between cards which affects the way they move against each other (and other things). I don't have a strong opinion on other components. The linen finish makes art harder to see, but it does feel a bit fancy I guess.

I find that certain types of linen finish can cause a significant amount of glare. If the texture is smooth I can move my head to avoid the glare; if the texture is the wrong kind of linen I'll get glare from a much wider range of view angles. For boards and tiles I therefore much prefer matte laminate (as in the first major run of Pandemic, or in recent prints of Alien Frontiers), although linen occasionally also looks good (the boards in Ticket to Ride comes to mind).

If your components get the linen treatment they are probably laminated, which is good for durability. If they're not linen finished, chances are that they also aren't laminated. This is especially true for cards, and unlaminated cards are very prone to scratching and chipping.

Lastly, I recently received two decks of cards from an on-demand printer. One deck was coated, while the other was laminated with a linen finish laminate. The printing on the laminated cards was slightly fuzzier, as expected, but I also noticed a slight green cast. This could be a one-off thing, but it might also be an issue with that particular laminate. Either way I'd suggest getting some samples before committing to either quality.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.