Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nick Dotzenrod
United States
Novi
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I have yet to play a game, but I was wondering what the strategy for the square formation is? Like when would you not want to go into square when being attacked by cavalry? Also, when would you attack an infantry unit with cavalry knowing there's a good chance that infantry unit would not want to go into square? (I get the impression cavalry are useless if infantry are always going into square, so I feel I am missing some obvious things)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
The Honorable Salmon P. Chase
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a pretty loaded question.

Squares are great if your infantry are not good at melee (rifle lights for example), or maybe if you are at a reduced strength and don't want to surrender a flag.

It's great for cav to force infantry into square to reduce your opponents hand, or to clog up an otherwise important path.

In my fairly limited experience (somewhere around 20 plays now), squares are sometimes great, sometimes lousy. Really depends on the situation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another thing to consider is whether the unit can be fired on by enemy artillery (Combined Arms). While the cavalry and infantry in square are rolling only 1 die, the artillery unit firing is rolling the same number of dice and it now hits on Swords. So this is a good reason not to go into square.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
StevenE Smooth Sailing...
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kentreuber wrote:
Another thing to consider is whether the unit can be fired on by enemy artillery (Combined Arms). While the cavalry and infantry in square are rolling only 1 die, the artillery unit firing is rolling the same number of dice and it now hits on Swords. So this is a good reason not to go into square.

There you go, mentioning strategy... Apparently you missed the memo... there is no strategy in C&C games... They are all luck based games. Ha ha
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thom Brennan
United States
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Against a 4-block cavalry unit (Austrian, Russian or French) your infantry unit has a pretty slim chance of making it through a cavalry attack, unless it goes into square. Remember, each dice has a 50% chance of inflicting a hit, and a 16% of a retreat flag. And those retreat results are likely to result in the cavalry getting a bonus attack against the same now-weakened infantry. Infantry's chances improve a bit for Guards, Grenadiers, and those units with a general, as they can ignore a retreat flag.

The stand-your-ground-strategy is a bit more viable against 3-block cavalry (English, Spanish, Portuguese or Prussian), but it’s still asking to get clobbered, as they can execute bonus attacks as well.

Of course, going into square results in one less command card and it’s amazing how often a random draw seems to take away that one key card in your hand. And that infantry in square is now a sitting duck for artillery and infantry attacks, especially an infantry melee attack. And, of course, there's the always-popular and incredibly maddening play of a First Strike card against the attacking cavalry.

You have to take all the above into consideration and ask yourself the question (as Clint Eastwood would say), “Are you feeling lucky?” whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin S
United Kingdom
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also - what is the likelihood of you chasing away the cavalry in your next move? Your own cavalry or even moving infantry into combat can often force the enemy cavalry to retire and reform.

Once the cavalry are no longer adjacent you can order your infantry out of square.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Rewoldt
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bassman211 wrote:
(I get the impression cavalry are useless if infantry are always going into square, so I feel I am missing some obvious things)

If all one is going to do with Cavalry is attack infantry and not follow up forcing a unit into square with attacks from other infantry and artillery units, then yes, not very useful. However, usually one is attempting to force a square to render that squared unit a sitting duck from other attacks (or, as mentioned, a ca attack from Cavalry and Artillery). Also, Cavalry count as banners too, and the side with the stronger cavalry has an advantage right off, being able to score on the opponent's cavalry and artillery units.

None of this is to mention the loss of a command card (and command # for cards such as Elan and Rally), which is certainly a penalty.

As you play the game, the implications of "to square or not to square" will become more apparent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Minot
North Dakota
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
toddrew wrote:

If all one is going to do with Cavalry is attack infantry and not follow up forcing a unit into square with attacks from other infantry and artillery units, then yes, not very useful.

Reference Field Marshall Ney, 18 June, 1815, for tutorial.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guillaume Gleize
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
... When your INF unit can be rescued by close friend units or when your INF is allready weak: the decision to go in square may be easy but when your INF is still strong, completly isolated and attacked by CAV ... The choice may be more interesting ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Dotzenrod
United States
Novi
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So a cavalry unit can roll a max of one die against a unit in square. Do you total the dice they would normally roll, subtract terrain reduction, then reduce to one die? Or do they start with just one die, then reduce for terrain, thus if a square unit is in a die reducting terrain it would not be able to be attacked by cavalry? (I know this makes no sense, but I just want to hear verabal confirmation).

Also, same for a unit in square attacking out of die reducing terrain into die reducing terrain.

Also, do terrain reductions stack? If a unit is in terrain that reduces die when attacking out of it, and that unit that is attacking a unit in terrain that also reduces dice, do you just add the two die reductions?

Thanks for all the tips about when to go into square. I now get a much better idea of how it all works!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Minot
North Dakota
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bassman211 wrote:
So a cavalry unit can roll a max of one die against a unit in square . . .they start with just one die, then reduce for terrain, thus if a square unit is in a die reducting terrain it would not be able to be attacked by cavalry?.

Also, same for a unit in square attacking out of die reducing terrain into die reducing terrain.

This is correct. Squares in defensive terrain may not be attacked, nor may they attack a target in defensive terrain (exception: Combined Arms).

bassman211 wrote:
Also, do terrain reductions stack? If a unit is in terrain that reduces die when attacking out of it, and that unit that is attacking a unit in terrain that also reduces dice, do you just add the two die reductions?

Terrain reductions from the same hex do not stack, but "Out of/Crossing" and "Into" reductions do stack. So, for example, a full strength French Heavy Cavalry attacking from a woods into a town would be unable to roll any die.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Dotzenrod
United States
Novi
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So for example, an infantry unit in a fordable stream is attacked by cavalry and chooses to go into square, nothing then happnes? Cause its -1 out of and into this type of terrain.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
The Honorable Salmon P. Chase
mbmbmbmbmb
bassman211 wrote:
So a cavalry unit can roll a max of one die against a unit in square.

The maximum number of die either infantry in square or cavalry melee attacking an infantry in square can roll is one. This can be reduced to zero, but may never be increased higher than one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Minot
North Dakota
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bassman211 wrote:
So for example, an infantry unit in a fordable stream is attacked by cavalry and chooses to go into square, nothing then happnes? Cause its -1 out of and into this type of terrain.

Yup (again, unless it is a Combined Arms attack).

Square rules in CCN are somewhat different than most Napoleonics games (and simpler, IF one can rid oneself of preconceptions brought over from other game systems about how squares are supposed to work).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.