Subject: If you were thinking about quitting your Job anyways... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew W.
United States
Monessen
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Taoist, Pittsburgh Sports fan, and welcoming to people who are kind, from any walk of life.
badge
I have been playing games since the Atari 2600, Candy Land, Chuttes and Ladders, Go Fish, & the Apple ii. Supporting "the Geek" since 2006
mbmbmbmbmb
Excuse a bored man if he rambles a bit, but if you were thinking about quitting your Job anyways... I reccommend you do as I have, and quit the Wednesday the week before Thanksgiving. I was in a customer service position, accepting payments and making Installment plan arrangements as outsourced labor for a utility.

It's the type of work that will suck the soul right from you if you didn't sell it already to get that last big shipment from the online game store of your choice. While I enjoyed helping a lot of people who were dealing with some rough times, You sure run into a lot of people who you wonder how they manage to get through the rest of their life if they cannot manage a utility bill, or you wonder how they dare to think they could get away with the plans they tried to hatch. The ones that yell are the best. Sure, we don't need money. Just yell at us... that's almost like money, right? Three F-words is about $50 USD, so start throwing it around until we turn it back on...

So Thursday I awoke to freedom. I'll look for a new job after the turkey is carved. I need to prepare the house for the invasion of 8 adding to the typical 3. 11 people, 4 of them teenagers (7 if you include those that will act like teenagers.)

First thing I did was go deposit money in a checking account with the teller at my secondary bank. This bank has branch hours M-Th 9:30-4, F 9:30-6, and Saturday 9-1. Since I took the job 5 months ago, they haven't seen me on a weekday. Or until Thursday that was to say, anyways. They had four tellers. Standing there in an empty bank that has business hours that no one working a job and having money can make it to anyways. Meanwhile you go on a Saturday morning, and you have one teller workiing the inside and all three drive through teller lanes at once. Someone needs to go back to buisness management school there. Anyways, I literally got sneers (thus why this is my secondary bank, and may soon be my FORMER bank) as I approached the que a minute after opening, and handed the teller over an envellope of bills and coins. Why coins? Because I know exactly what bills I pay with this account, it's the only purpose for the account, and I never have on deposit $0.01 more than what the next three months of charges on the bills I pay would be.

I could contact customer service and change my checking account used to pay these specific bills over from this bank to my preferred bank, but customer service representatives deserve liberal verbal abuse because they suck and are untrustwort....uhhh... I mean because I'm too lazy.

After a tasty breakfast at a local diner, I went to the comic and games shop in my area. I grabbed Samurai, as I planned to do before quitting my Job anyways. I wasn't not going to buy games at this time. right?

Getting back home, I grabbed the mail, and got from my Ebay seller the DVD Drive replacement for the XBox that has been 6 months idle in my living room. Excitment abounded over being able to fix my game console and punch a new game out...

But the Firewood needed to be chopped first! I'm told they make machines that split logs for you, and furnaces that don't even need logs for that matter, but goodness help me, I really dig a sledgehammer, a log wedge, and hundreds of localized, controlled arsons. So after a half of a afternoon, I stacked up four piles of logs twice as wide as me and chest high, and retired my arms to the showers and the dinner table.

After dinner, I punched out Samurai, giggling that I should still be answering a telephone for two more hours at this time of day. Freedom rocks.

Then I tinkered with the Xbox until I got it running. Originally I got it from a college classmate who knew I'm pretty handy with PC repair, some 6 months ago. He gave me his whole setup out of grattitude for the several PCs and laptops I repaired for his family over the last year and a half. Seemed nice of him to do, except when you consider if I can't manage to fix it, all I just did was get paid in trash. But it turned out to be worth it. for $41 I got the parts I needed to fix it, and it ran great, but I had nothing worth crap to play on it.

I remedied that situation on Friday by trading in the two crap games he sent with me. I got the two Xmen Legends games for $34.00 New in box. I know money could have been saved going for used copies, but I'm a stickler for new, unopened, unused game media if it is available to me. So friday was spent Napping, crusing the internet, IM-ing some friends and trying to get Iceman and Cyclops to quit trying to suicide themselves off my X-Team. Can't help but take that a little presonally.

Saturday I paid the price of admission for a pleasant Friday. My Aunt bought a bedroom suite of furniture last week, and hey, guess who has a pickup truck and nothing better to do and a brother to help his worthless behind? Yep. That's me! After delivering 3 of the heaviest pices of furniture I've come across, I came home and sat down for 6 minutes. 6 whole minutes all for my very own! Then I took the Chef around to get all the groceries she will need for preparing the meal for the house full of 11 this thursday coming. We got out of the FIRST grocery store an hour before dinner. After dinner, we rushed down to the mall to pay two department store credit bills in person. Of course those department stores would be on opposite sides of the mall from each other. So I parked by the first store, paid the bill, Walked the length of the mall with the Chef to the other department store, walked back 1/3rd of the way to find an exit to the parking lot I was in, traversed the lot, and drove back to pick up the chef. She was tired and no sense in us both being wore out. We have a second grocery store to get to after all! (Did I mention the Holiday she's preparing for is not until the Thursday to come, and I've worked my rump off two out of the last three days by this point?) So by the end of the night, she paid her cards for the month, I was lighter $~180 worth of groceries from my own wallet.

Oh, and in that ~$180 total I got in on some $8.00 Wal mart parker brothers games because the teenagers will likely maul the old copies that I grew up with, which seem barely hanging onto life in this world. Not a careful bunch. Want to play games on thanksgiving, but my nice games will stay stashed. until the teenagers and their parents drag on home, leaving 5 for some 2-5 people games.

So I have Laundry to finish today, daily meals to cook today (to give the Chef time to prepare ahead for the invasion), some small yardwork, and the mopping and the vaccuming come wednesday night/thursday morning. I might even get recruited for dusting. Whee.

So a good way to end the week, a big relief from a sucking job, a lot to accopmlish, a lot that got done, and a lot of fun yet to be had!

Thanks for reading. I'm sorry if it bored you, because typing it out took the boredom away from me a moment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Cardarelli
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats on your newly acquired freedom! Fight the machine!

robot

And good luck finding another job.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew W.
United States
Monessen
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Taoist, Pittsburgh Sports fan, and welcoming to people who are kind, from any walk of life.
badge
I have been playing games since the Atari 2600, Candy Land, Chuttes and Ladders, Go Fish, & the Apple ii. Supporting "the Geek" since 2006
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the encouragement.

For those who went in for Wall mart Game deal after 11/1/2006...the suday paper has a rebate form in the Cupon section. $2-3 off per game, up to $35 back if you get one of each on the form.

Man quitting your job keeps getting better!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Lartigue
United States
Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well done and good luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Steak Fairy
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Games? People still play games??
badge
Specious arguments are not proof of trollish intent.
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats on your decision! Let us know when you start shouting at customer service reps at the utilities, due to wasting your money on the X-Men Legends games and the like.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew W.
United States
Monessen
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know if that was a witty barb or a disapproving jab, but I'll thank you for the well-crafted sentiment nonetheless.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Steak Fairy
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Games? People still play games??
badge
Specious arguments are not proof of trollish intent.
mbmbmbmbmb
It was a congratulations on ditching the dead-end horror film job, and a disapproving jab at your choice of games!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew W.
United States
Monessen
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
All's well then.

Don't judge me too harshly for the games, though. It's not like I want to play the Parker Brothers games. I need to get back to school so I can get my Elementary teaching career back on track (took some time off after University to see my parents and their business throught a rough patch) and I had an eye on these games for that sort of use. Sometimes, you have to appease those who do not know the joys of the hobby end of gaming to even get a game on the table.

It's all sort of fits in that "Bad games / bad pizza" paradigm: Even when it's bad, it's still better than most other things you could be suffering at the moment instead. There's another point of reference in that paradigm, but being a conversation about an Elementary teaching career, it hardly seems appropriate to mention now, so I'll leave you to guess at what it could possibly be.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Cox
United States
Clemson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
1024x768 works just fine - Don't Wide the Site!
badge
Missing old BGG
mbmbmbmbmb
So, The Chef is? ... Mom? I'm puzzled about this post, as it includes lots of consuming at a time when cash flow is zero.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew W.
United States
Monessen
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, this time the Chef is Mum. Helping them clear some of their own hurdles.

And Cash flow is not zero at this point. I just quit my own job, from which I will have one more check before the end of the month. There is other income, and the check I have coming will cover the recent spending and spare some more.

Other than the business costs, the next three months are well covered -- not in the habit of skydiving without parachuttes

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill J
United States
Batavia
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Best of luck on your new trajectory! Over 20 years ago, a job counseolor came to my high high school and told us about the workforce of the future. We were told that we could expect 7 career changes during our professional lives. He stressed that these were not job changes, but career changes involving entirely new practices and areas of expertise.

At the time, I was horrified that I would never find anything stable to maintain a household and support a family. Since then, I've learned that it depends on how you develop and apply the skills you learn and how you present yourself. In any case, I wish you success on your next moves - whererever it takes you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.