Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Stoddart
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I may have missed this in the rules, but do I have to do anything special for a plane to leave a wave? One Lancaster over the North Sea has developed engine trouble and I'm tempted to send it home. It's the leader so do I have to do anything, e.g. I assumed it would require coordination? Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Pattison
United States
Odenton
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just put the aborting Lanc in the RTB box as per 7.7.3h and designate a new defacto leader as per 6.7.5. Of course, the crew should prepare to have their ears chewed off by Cmdr Gibson for bringing an upkeep home providing he does survive the raid.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alecc
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
I spent more time clipping chits than playing games
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Plot twist: Cmdr Gibson's plane is the one that chooses to abort!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Pattison
United States
Odenton
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Alecc wrote:
Plot twist: Cmdr Gibson's plane is the one that chooses to abort!
Then, Cmdr Gibson chews out his crew chief.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stoddart
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks. I know 7.2 says I can try to assign a new wave leader but scenario 6 setup says to skip the wireless phase until the dam is breached or a Nightfighter attacks. Or am I just being pedantic?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Pattison
United States
Odenton
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The wireless transmission phase (section 7.2) deals with HQ to wave communications which were dodgy under VHF. It's about changing the primary and secondary targets. Communications within a wave are different. They had visual and HF, I believe, and the chain of command was briefed. So, the wireless transmission phase doesn't apply in this case. It's in the Hazard Effects Phase were the abort decision happens, and the wave leader is changed.

In a situation were the leader has to drop out, the wave leader would have signaled that he was dropping out, probably by wing wag or radio; and the predesignated next in command would have stepped in as lead. The chain of command has been abstracted in the rules for ECA.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stoddart
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks George.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy (Jerry) White
msg tools
designer
George has it right (as usual). I can add that during the alpha design stage for this game, there was a "Deputy Leader" for each wave. That is, the player had to assign a second in command for each Wave, who would assume the role of Wave Leader in case there was an unexpected 'vacancy' (such as the situation you encountered, Mike). Although I dropped that rule to streamline the game, no reason you can't assign a deputy leader during Sortie.

The training and preparation for this mission was such that all pilots knew their route and their objective quite thoroughly, so losing the Wave Leader should not be considered catastrophic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.