Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Christian Becker
Germany
Hannover
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Today, Rick Thornquist announced that he gives boardgamenews.com to another editor: Eric Martin.

Check out at http://www.boardgamenews.com/index.php/boardgamenews/comment...

What a pity cry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cynthia Landon
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Awe. That is sad. I'm sure it was a lot of work for him so I can understand. I will miss him.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim K.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Bummer soblue
I think the site fills an important niche and I hope that it survives the switch.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
*sniff*

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Seddon
United Kingdom
Congleton
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I hope that this is because Rick has something else in line and not for ill-health or such like. I go to the site often, but haven't read this item yet.

Good luck Rick, in whatever you're up to next. meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Derk appears from the mists...
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Rick is a scholar and a gentleman. The information he's provided over the years has been an integral part of what boardgaming has become. His work will be missed, but I wish him luck in his further endeavors...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Ugolini
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
derk wrote:
Rick is a scholar and a gentleman. The information he's provided over the years has been an integral part of what boardgaming has become. His work will be missed, but I wish him luck in his further endeavors...

That ending ellipsis vexes me. Do you have something you want to share with the rest of the class?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mrbass
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes love that site....thanks for starting it up and giving it a spin. I think the Essen Preview was way too much work. I know this is a hobby that is fun to play/participate but never is fun to sit down for a few hours and crank out words and resize photos, etc. True many could probably do it but not as well as it takes time to be sacrificed. No glory in that. Thanks Rick...good luck Eric Martin.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W. Eric Martin
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mrbass wrote:
Yes love that site....thanks for starting it up and giving it a spin. I think the Essen Preview was way too much work. I know this is a hobby that is fun to play/participate but never is fun to sit down for a few hours and crank out words and resize photos, etc. True many could probably do it but not as well as it takes time to be sacrificed. No glory in that. Thanks Rick...good luck Eric Martin.

Thanks, Mr. Bass, and a warm howdy do to everyone else. Rick had notified his writers that he was planning to pull the plug on BGN as he was sure that no one else would take over the site.

By chance, I had started http://FunandBoardgames.com in October 2006 for the sole purpose of eventually being able to drop my other writing clients and write about games on a full-time basis. Taking over Boardgame News is an opportunity I never expected, but one I'm happy to take on. My first postings on BGN will be a big update to Gone Cardboard on Monday, Nov. 20, and an intro column on Tuesday in Rick's old spot.

I'm no stranger to the world of boardgames and gaming news. I've written articles, reviews, and news coverage for Games, Knucklebones, and a variety of mainstream publications.

I'm in the same boat as many of you—I couldn't imagine life without Gone Cardboard, the Nürnberg and Essen previews, and so much else that Rick brought to BGN. I'll do what I can to keep the site the best source of game news on the Internet. If you have any suggestions for how to improve the site, please visit Boardgame News and write me through the "Contact" page. Thanks for your support.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Korner
Canada
Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Stop poking me! Ow! I mean it! That hurts!
mbmbmbmbmb
...and speaking of the Nurnberg and Essen previews, I have agreed to continue doing the translation work to support both, so the transition should be relatively seamless.

Look for Nurnberg buzz (!) to start in mid-December - in other words, you have less than a month to play all the Essen stuff, and then the fun begins all over again!

pk

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michelle Zentis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bummer! I just got to know Rick a bit at BGG.CON, and he was wonderful. I'm sorry he burned himself out working so hard for us, and I hope he manages to get some rest.

Thanks for all the wonderful info throughout the years, Rick!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Old & Chaotic Evil Bob
United States
Plainville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
I'm not the Admin you are looking for
badge
O&CE Bob has Retired as a Geek Admin
mbmbmbmbmb
before moving to New Hampshire, Eric was a member of our
local game group in SE Massachusetts (he still is but
the long drive keeps his attendance down to once or twice
a year)
I for one can think of no better individual to take
over the boardgamenews.com site

Rick -- we will miss you
Eric -- good luck

Bob Sumner
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
take it easier there Rick, and don't be 'shy' to come on BACK when you can kiss

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gone Fishing
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Crud!!! I can't help but be very thankful for everything that Rick had put into covering These Games of Ours. I have always been blown away by what he was able to do in obtaining game news and the focus he had in doing it. I had a feeling this would happen though as I couldn't see it being commercially viable to spend so much time covering games, not to mention the travelling involved.

But it also makes me realize how fragile boardgaming is as a hobby, and how even the most devoted among us can fall out of its grasp. I guess that is certainly one point in favor of BGG in that it isn't reliant on any one individual, so the spurts and droughts of boardgaming fanfare can be managed more easily. Then again I keep hoping that high quality editor driven magazine can find a permanent commercially viable home on the net.

Sincere thanks to Rick for pioneering this track.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
james napoli
United States
Westwood
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
perhaps this is what the dice tower guys were eluding too? hmm

i would concur with Derk's sediments, Rick is a true class act.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian B
United States
Leawood
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bummer. I hope things go great for Rick, he seems like a great guy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn Drover
United States
Plainfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all of your hard work and honest criticism. Both were appreciated and will be missed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Dontanville
United States
Charlottesville
VA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Plate of Shrimp.
badge
Here we are folks, the dream we all dream of.
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, shoot.

I hope that he at least Rick pops his head around in the scene enough for me to catch a "hello" on the run.

Best of luck Eric.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nicholson
Canada
Brantford
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rick has certainly been an inspiration to me in my work, and I want to publicly thank him for all of his work. I well know about the frustration in covering a hobby at a professional level; there are some tensions that come through when doing this.

I also understand wanting to step down. In order to support a hobby, many of us will have to step up and take a turn in service to the hobby. The more of us working to support the hobby, the easier it is for everyone.

So, thank you, Rick, for all of your hard, honest and most importantly, professional work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Crane
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There's no better way to ruin a great hobby than by turning it into a job. Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Edwards
United States
South Attleboro
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Greatest secret agent in the world!!!
mbmbmbmbmb

First, a big thanks to Rick for all he's done for our little hobby and best of luck on your future endeavors!

Second, a hearty thumbs up for the new guy, Eric, whom I know personally. He's a great guy and his enthusiasm for board games is infectious. Good luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Bretsch
United States
University City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,

Rick isn't fully retiring. He remains an at large columnist, I believe.

Nonetheless, we are most certainly in great hands with W. Eric Martin. I am very, very confident that Eric will continue blazing the path of excellence and independence that Rick has so clearly defined.

Many, many good things are on the way. As for Rick? Can we say enough? I basically just wished him all the success in the world.

There just is no way to be able to thank him for everything he has given to the boardgame world and this wonderful hobby.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
mb
I'm sorry to see Rick's work product go... he's been blazing the path for boardgamers for a long time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Bretsch
United States
University City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aldie wrote:
I'm sorry to see Rick's work product go... he's been blazing the path for boardgamers for a long time.

Aldie,

Mostly I just blaze a path too.... usually right into a tree or something like that. laugh

Hey, we still got BGG. You have a pretty darn good website yourself. cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Bretsch
United States
University City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PatK wrote:
...and speaking of the Nurnberg and Essen previews, I have agreed to continue doing the translation work to support both, so the transition should be relatively seamless.

Look for Nurnberg buzz (!) to start in mid-December - in other words, you have less than a month to play all the Essen stuff, and then the fun begins all over again!

pk

Often unheralded, but supreme kudos to Patrick Korner for continuing his tireless hard work too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.