Popular Tags: recommendations [+] [View All]
Fedor Marshankin
Russia
Moscow
Moscow
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello everyone!
I'm new the world of boardgames, but I'm really interested and excited about it. Yet the only kind of boardgames i played are Monopoly and Clue.
So now I want to take it to the next level. But i don't know much about games, and there are so many of them! So could you help me chose?
I was thinking about a couple of games:
1) Allies and Axis/Attack!
I think these games are qute easy, yet fun and enjoyable.
2)Zombies 1st edition + a couple of expansions.
Looks really like the kind of game you'd like to play while having a beer with your friends.
3) Civilization
I used to play this game for weeks straight! It's a masterpiece. Sid's greatest work.

What do you say?
And another thing - I live in Russia, so shipping is an issue. Which online shops can be trusted? maybe some are better than others?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Welcome to boardgaming...I'm sure you'll love it.

The question that first comes to my mind is a question that I had to struggle with when I first got into gaming big time. Who are you going to be playing games with? You could have the best game collection in the world, but if you don't have anyone to play with, the games are useless.

I ran into this problem with some of my games. For instance, I have and enjoy Axis & Allies, but non of my gaming friends are interested in that kind of game. It seems that I have better luck with lighter games and popular Euros. Then again, my gaming friends don't like games that are too light, so Beer and Pretzels games wouldn't go over very well either. I just mention this because the games you've mentioned seem to fit into specific categories of games and gamers. My sugestion would be to get a feel for who you're going to be playing with and try to find games that are tailored for that game style. I hope you can find your niche. Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fedor Marshankin
Russia
Moscow
Moscow
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
oh, my friends are pretty open-minded. And I have a couple of diehard gamers among them. Though all of them are PC gamers...
I guess that games like axis and allies are going to be less popular among them. but civilization on the other hand is adored by many!
Tell me - is Zombies! really a fun game? What i could tell from the photos - it's hillarious. just like all "evil dead" movies =)

But i guess any game will do if it's got something o it. we all smoke pot a little. so that ought to help "break the ice" =)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Redd
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Hello and welcome to boargamegeek!

It looks like you may getting Civilization and Sid Meier's Civilization: The Boardgame confused. Civilization (1981) is a beloved boardgame. Sid Meier's Civilization (2002) is a boardgame based on the computer game. But I think you can find better games to try out this hobby with.

d10-1 Your interest in Axis & Allies, computer games and pot makes me think you'll like Twilight Imperium (Third Edition). The players build up little space empires and vie for control of the universe. You can build up big armadas of star ships and fight it out, but the game offers other ways to win too.

d10-2 I haven't played Nexus Ops yet, but people I respect think it's fun. It's been discontinued by its American publisher, so many stores over here in the States are selling it for under $20.

d10-3 For a wargame, take a look at Memoir '44. The basic game is two player only, but with two sets you can play up to eight players.

d10-4 And I want to recommend RoboRally. I really love this game and everyone I've introduced it to has had fun playing it.

A good way to find good games is to browse the games on this site by rank. Just click "Games" at the top of the page to do this. Whenever you see a name or box cover that appeals to you, click on it and read more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fedor Marshankin
Russia
Moscow
Moscow
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanx, that's helpful! very!
I'll be sure to check out the games you mentioned.

But abou browsing games for title/box picture is rather shallow. Even if you read up on the game, it may soun fun... but when you get to play it, it's now what you expected at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Franklin
United Kingdom
Braintree
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bilinear wrote:

But abou browsing games for title/box picture is rather shallow. Even if you read up on the game, it may soun fun... but when you get to play it, it's now what you expected at all.

You can read the reviews and the ratings / comments as well - although the ratings don't help so much at first, as you won't know which people share your (or your group's) taste in games.

Once you've played a few more games and have an idea of what you like (or don't), you can either look at the ratings some more or use the GeekBuddies system to see what other games are recommended by the people who like the same games you like.

Oh, and welcome aboard!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Wills
Australia
Panania
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I second the recommendation for Nexus Ops - buy it quickly, while you can.

In terms of online shops, search for mention of them here at BGG to see what people think of them. I can recommend boardsandbits.com - especially for overseas shipping.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barak Engel
United States
Oakland
CA
flag msg tools
And the Geek shall Inherit the Earth
badge
I am the unholy trinity: Agnostic, Atheist, and Skeptic.
mbmbmb
Justin has some good advice, but...

Stay away from Twilight Imperium 3 until you really know what you like. It's a love it or hate it kinda game, and as one of the haters, I gotta tell you it would be a shame for you to waste $80 on a game that takes 7 hours to play and, if you end up with the same feelings as I did, will seem completely pointless.

As for Civlization, that's interesting. The original boardgame from the early 80's is absolutely terrific, and as I understand had a lot to influence Sid Meier's eventual computer game, but has very little to do with the current iterations (Civ3 and Civ4). You might be disappointed. The 2002 version is kinda klunky. Instead, may I suggest you look out for a copy of History of the World? (the one with all the plastic pieces is the best IMO, but it's a matter of opinion).

How do you feel about Euros? Have your group ever tried games in the vain of Settlers of Catan? My suggestion to you would be to order that or maybe Power Grid with any order you make - it's a phenomenal game and serves as a relatively easy introduction to euros, while still maintaining a sense of "screw you" with 4 or 5 players (and a LOT of it with 6!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Redd
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
lightnng wrote:
Stay away from Twilight Imperium 3 until you really know what you like.

Yeah, that's a good point. Nexus Ops is probably a much better starting point for a similar game.

bilenear wrote:

Sorry for being unclear about that. Tim's response really explains what I was trying to say much better. Here's another crack at it. . .

The top rated games on this site are there because a lot of boardgamers think highly of them. And while you may find you don't like some highly rated games, odds are pretty good you'll like more than you dislike. So I recommend you concentrate on reasearching the highly rated games.

As for researching them, your first impression is important at this point, so don't waste time reading about a game with a name, picture or description that puts you off.

For those that do appeal to you, follow the links for reviews and session reports to get a feal for what actually playing the game may be like. Look at more pictures. I find the "user comments" link on each game (it's in the stats-like section in the middle of a game page.) very useful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fedor Marshankin
Russia
Moscow
Moscow
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanx guys!
Nexus ops looks like a fun game! Especialy that all the pieces are glow in the dark... Gives it the real "futuristic" look.
But i still didn't qute understand if it is a "i'm gonna get you, bastard!" kind of game. Like cards

btw - what exactly are Euros? (not $ obviously )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fedor Marshankin
Russia
Moscow
Moscow
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanx Justin!
I think i got it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Hunter
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
To approach the Other in conversation is to welcome his expression, in which at each instant he overflows the idea a thought would carry away from it. It is therefore to receive from the Other beyond the capacity of the I...
badge
To approach the Other in conversation is to welcome his expression, in which at each instant he overflows the idea a thought would carry away from it. It is therefore to receive from the Other beyond the capacity of the I...
mbmbmbmbmb
order nexus ops... you can get it cheap if you buy another game at funagain, but they are expensive. Try a euro, personally I never like settlers, but a lot of people like it. I would rather play power grid, puerto rico, or antike.

Maybe twilight struggle if you want a cool 2 player, with a cold war theme (I don't know how this would go down with you, but russia is easier to win with). Avoid the more recent CIV like the plague (I should know I have it). Infact I wouldn't recommend any of the civs for new gamers. Zombies is generally expensive and has poor game play. However some people like it for its theme. Junta if you can get is a better game that is silly and fun, while random is much more enjoyable than Zombies.
TI3 should probably be avoided until your sure you want a really heavy empire building game. I like less and less everytime I play, but the expansion should fix most of the problems, it is still an enjoyable game. Lastly if you are going for axis and allies try pacific or battle of the bulge. They are the best of the serious that I have played. Europe is the worst in my opinion, while the standard game is in the middle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Hunter
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
euros are a style of game characterised by their manufacture in europe and an emphasis on balance, minimization of luck and less emphasis on theme. They are not true abstracts like (chess, go, blokus) Manufacturers like rio grande, phalanx, lots of others, make them. They are not uniquely from europe by the way. Oh another great game if you can somehow get it would be dune (but good luck). Examples of euros include puerto rico, tigris and euphrates, caylus, die macher, ra, modern art, settlers of catan, etc...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Sherwood
United States
Arundel
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome!

I 'found' boardgames a couple of years ago, and before that had several friends that played computer games together. We mostly played RTS games (Age of Kings, Empire Earth, etc, etc).

These same friends frequently get together now for boardgames, but the theme of the games we play have little resemblance to the video games we used to play. I would suggest, as others have, to look at some Euros and see what you think. As you've probably found, the games are ranked, and I found this ranking to be very useful as I started into the hobby. A couple other quick thoughts: as you explore the games here consider the number of players, the length of the games, and the weight of the games.

Good luck! I hope you enjoy yourself here!

Mike
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diz Hooper
Japan
Osaka
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

If you want a civilization type game with a little tech development and a little conquest, I recommend Antike. Right now, this is my favorite game. It's a medium-weight game, so it's not too complex and doesn't take too long, so those who aren't into gaming can also give it a try. Another recommendation I would give would be Tigris and Euphrates. It's a fairly simple game to play but the strategy is very deep. You'll get addicted to it I'm sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fedor Marshankin
Russia
Moscow
Moscow
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello again!
I'm afraid my choise of first game totally depends on the range of goods sold at my "local" online store.
Alas it is not very diverse.
So my choices are
1) Nexus Ops (personaly I like it the best)
2) Warcraft the board game
3) Axis and Allies (maybe later?)
4) Sid Meyer's Civilization
5) Civilization
6) Monsters Ravage America (the crowd doen't go very wild over it thoug )

The problem is - i want to buy 2 games. 1 strategy/wargame and some other kind. maybe a "shoot 'em up" like doom or a fun loaded "dress up" like junta.

What are your thoughts, gentlemen?
What's worth the money and the time?

Regards!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phillip Heaton
United States
Springfield
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bilinear wrote:
Hello again!
I'm afraid my choise of first game totally depends on the range of goods sold at my "local" online store.
Alas it is not very diverse.
So my choices are
1) Nexus Ops (personaly I like it the best)
2) Warcraft the board game
3) Axis and Allies (maybe later?)
4) Sid Meyer's Civilization
5) Civilization
6) Monsters Ravage America (the crowd doen't go very wild over it thoug )

The problem is - i want to buy 2 games. 1 strategy/wargame and some other kind. maybe a "shoot 'em up" like doom or a fun loaded "dress up" like junta.

What are your thoughts, gentlemen?
What's worth the money and the time?

Regards!

1. Nexus Ops is your best choice amongst the ones listed. It can play 2-4, the rules aren't terribly complex (although you may have to provide a sheet translating all the cards if your friends aren't comfortable with English), it plays well in an hour or so, and the secret objective cards plus the variable board mean that no two games will play the same.

2. Warcraft the Boardgame plays like a simplified version of the computer game. If you liked the computer game, you will probably like the board game.

3. Axis & Allies is another good, but light game. I don't enjoy it as much as Nexus Ops, but if you have to buy two games on the list, this would be my second choice.

4. Sid Meyer's Civilization. I haven't played this one.

5. Civilization. I didn't care for this one, but if you used to play it and enjoyed it, this would seem to be a natural purchase, if you no longer have it.

6. Monsters Ravage America. This is a silly little game that is great fun if your group enjoys the old "B" movies like Godzilla or Rodan. If you can't get into the theme and let your inner child go, it isn't that good a game.

Outside of the games you suggested, the best advice I might offer would be to check out the print and play games. You download them from the internet, so there is no dealing with postage costs or delays. Many of them are free, or they can be had for a same price, because you print the games yourself. There are some good games, along with some junk. Search geeklists for "print-and-play"; this will lead you to several geeklists about such games.

The second thing you need to do is find a reliable and reasonable online seller who will ship to Russia, without charging you an arm and a leg. I have had good service from Thought Hammer and Funagain, but my experience has only been with American companies, which would probably charge you more than European ones. You might start another forum, specifically asking about good European online game companies, since you don't seem to be getting that kind of information from this posting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fedor Marshankin
Russia
Moscow
Moscow
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanx for the advice!
I already found an online store right gere in Moscow. Though the choice is very poor, they do have SOME good games which are (i guess) worth a shot.
As for my friends' english - it's not a problem.
I'll be sure to check out "print'n'play". thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fedor Marshankin
Russia
Moscow
Moscow
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey everyone!
It just turns out that i won't have to make that hard choice. I managed to get in contact with one of the owners of a russian online-shop that sells games. And it turns out he needs a guy to review the games he has in stock. So we worked out an agreement: In retern for reviewing the game and translating the rules, i get the game.
Might seem like a trick, but actually i think the money i could get out of translating that kind of text is relevant to the cost of the games. and writing a review/session report every time you play a new game - well that's just swell!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.