Hide
6 Posts

Dominion: Adventures» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Why buy Pathfinding? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Martin Holden
msg tools
Pathfinding seems a useful event in that you can place or move your +1 Card Token. But at a cost of 8! If I have 8 coins to spend I should far rather buy a Province.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Seifert
United States
Little Canada
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gaining 5 or so super-labs (assuming you place the token on a useful cantrip you've been buying) at once is worth $8 in all but the shortest of games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harold Coleman
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It would be very useful in a game with Colonies, where I would gladly not buy a Province for the long term gain of Pathfinding.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Yeung
msg tools
Compare Pathfinding to Prince. Pathfinding gives you benefit as early as the next turn depending on what actions you have and doesn't take space in your deck. The ability to turn any cheap cantrip into labs or any action that gives +1 action into a cantrip is pretty good.

And while Prince is good sometimes, most of the time the earliest it can give you any benefit is on the next reshuffle + the turn after you play it. Pathfinder can be considered the easier one to use of the two.

As for getting Pathfinder over the first Province, most of the time the first $8 you buy isn't going to be Province because your deck is going to get worse from then on. Remember that the goal is to hit $8 as much as possible, not just once. +1 card to any one action pile can give you the pace needed to hit $8 consistently.

And that's not even getting into how much this event can help for engines.

You're not going to buy Pathfinding in every game (slogs where the +1 card really doesn't matter), but otherwise I foresee Pathfinding being a huge deal if it's on the board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George I.
Switzerland
Lausanne
Vaud
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
venescas wrote:
Compare Pathfinding to Prince. Pathfinding gives you benefit as early as the next turn depending on what actions you have and doesn't take space in your deck. The ability to turn any cheap cantrip into labs or any action that gives +1 action into a cantrip is pretty good.

A few ideas...

Festival => Grand Market + Village (!); and Festivals are much easier to buy.

Pearl Diver => Laboratory; in Ironwork boards or boards with +buy (Goons), you may end up easily with 7-8 cheap Pearl Divers. Plus, there won't be any competition from your opponent to get them, except if she realizes your intentions. So far, I've yet to see a game where people are fighting over Pearl Divers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe they may have been able to get away with this being $7, but... even that feels like it's pushing it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.