Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave Daffin
United Kingdom
Ledbury
Herefordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Today (25th April 2015) marks the 100th Anniversary of the Gallipoli landings in Turkey. The failed campaign carried on until the withdrawal of the allied troops in January 1916.

I will be marking the event with a game (or two) of OS later today, although, as this is game is in my Top 5, I was also considering attempting a 100-play challenge, to be completed by January 2016. Achievable do you think?

Update:
Now played 50 games of my Gallipoli 100 challenge, aiming to complete 100 games by 9th January 2016 (the 100th anniversary of the Gallipoli evacuation).

Update 9th January 2016:

I DID IT!!!!

I saved my first play of Ottoman Sunset in 2016 for the 100th Anniversary of the Gallipoli Evacuation.

It also happened to be the 100th play in my own 'Gallipoli 100' challenge, which I started on the 100th Anniversary of the Gallipoli Landings, on 25th April 2015.

This 100th play (using no optional rules) was an anti-climax in terms of the result. The Gallipoli front didn't even activate as I suffered a collapse of National Will and therefore a 'Crushing Defeat after 17 cards! Some very bad dice rolls in this one!

Anyway, I set the game up to try again. Next game Yudenich entered Constantinople, giving me a Strategic Defeat.

So I tried again (as you do), and achieved an International Victory! (29 points).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Hill
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dave in Ledbury wrote:
...as this is game is in my Top 5, I was also considering attempting a 100-play challenge, to be completed by January 2016. Achievable do you think?

I think so!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Clocherty
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Indeed, I also felt the need to play a game today. Here in Australia, the 100 year anniversary of the Gallipoli landings are all over the news. The dawn service for Anzac Day this year is very significant.

So needless to say, I lost! I made it towards the middle of the yellow deck. The British fleet tried to run the Dardenelles. They were stopped!

However the allies never landed at Gallipoli. With poor die rolls, I kept throwing my resources to stop the Caucases front. But with poor die rolls, they steamrolled into Constantinople.

Oh well, I can try again tomorrow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Hill
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I knocked out a quick game this morning too. Wasn't feeling up to snuff, so I ended a few cards into the shuffling of the Dusk deck. Not too bad, but I have played better!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
joe dagostino
United States
Cupertino
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How do you distinguish your better play from your worse play? Surely you don't judge simply by win or lose. I've lost this game from simple bad die rolls.

I like the play of the game but I'm not sure what you mean by "better" play. Did you mean better results?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Daffin
United Kingdom
Ledbury
Herefordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I managed to get one game in today. It was a great game as well.

Things started off fairly well, and I was managing to keep the fronts back reasonably well for about half the game. Then the Royal Navy 'Running the Gauntlet' card came out:

Wow - the Royal Navy got all the way to Constantinople, and the last roll was a four! The British Fortitude ran out, and they retreated..... Phew!

The next few cards saw the Arab front appear, then the Salonika front, and finally, the Gallipoli Landings.

As with most games of Ottoman Sunset, the pressure can gradually build up. While I managed to keep the National Will at a reasonable level, the fronts started to creep ever-closer to Constantinople.

Fittingly, and with only 6 cards remaining, I drew the Gallipoli Evacuation card. Although this removed the Gallipoli front, Maude, who was hovering outside Constantinople, moved in and the Ottoman Empire dropped out of the war. With 6 cards remaining and National Will at minus 2, this equated to a Strategic Stalemate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mayor Jim
United States
Fort Wright
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Vote Often!
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice recap...thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Hill
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
joeydag2011 wrote:
How do you distinguish your better play from your worse play? Surely you don't judge simply by win or lose. I've lost this game from simple bad die rolls.

I like the play of the game but I'm not sure what you mean by "better" play. Did you mean better results?

As in, On card 3 I drew the 'shuffle mid-day deck' card in with the 'Resilving the Narrows the next card. I had no time to bulk up defenses and the ones there didn't hold.

Thus I lost on card 4. I've actually made it through the deck before.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Clocherty
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's unlucky if you get mid day deck and the Narrows run in quick succession.

I played a second game over the past 2 days. It was all going well, but again, a string of failed attacks on fronts resulted in the loss of Constantinople only halfway through the game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darin Leviloff
United States
Foster City
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Ouch. That's really bad luck. In theory, one can survive the Allied fleet without building any defenses, but the odds are grim. I say a players first priority should be to build at least one minefield and one gun emplacement and set aside a resource. You can afford the actions because only three Fronts are initially active and the Sinai is stalled in the Sinai.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mayor Jim
United States
Fort Wright
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Vote Often!
mbmbmbmbmb
Crassus wrote:
Ouch. That's really bad luck. In theory, one can survive the Allied fleet without building any defenses, but the odds are grim. I say a players first priority should be to build at least one minefield and one gun emplacement and set aside a resource. You can afford the actions because only three Fronts are initially active and the Sinai is stalled in the Sinai.
Exactly...I always asign a few resources to preventing a sneak attack/victory via the fleet action...but don't overdo it whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Daffin
United Kingdom
Ledbury
Herefordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Today I played my 30th game of Ottoman Sunset, and the 13th toward my 'Gallipoli 100' goal.

I won! or at least I thought I had. I noticed the Verdun battle counter was sitting just off the board. I must have missed the battle. I looked through the deck. I couldn't find the Verdun card at all. I checked again, and triple checked. No card. I counted up my cards. It turns out I'm actually missing TWO cards!

I'm devastated! My 20th play was the historical set up so I know I had the full deck then. I then played 9 other games at home in my office before tonight's game.

I must have lost the cards in my office somewhere. I'm not a great shuffler and they must have gone flying somewhere while I was shuffling during one of the games number 21-29......

I'm working away from home at the moment, and I was hoping to get a few games of OS under my belt to count towards my Gallipoli 100 goal....... Darn it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Hill
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nooooooo! Please keep us updated! I am in my mid-30s of plays and probably will get a couple more in here soon. Best wishes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Shockley
United States
Seffner
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MayorJim wrote:
Crassus wrote:
Exactly...I always asign a few resources to preventing a sneak attack/victory via the fleet action...but don't overdo it :whistle:

In my last game, I was around halfway through the deck and everything was swell. I'd been rolling well, and no front was advanced past 3 or 4. Then the Forcing the Narrows event came out... no problem, I thought; I'd built every fortification save one.

Well, the British fleet kicked ass (ie., rolled well), and I lost. This game is a challenge to be sure!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Shockley
United States
Seffner
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dave in Ledbury wrote:
Today I played my 30th game of Ottoman Sunset, and the 13th toward my 'Gallipoli 100' goal.

I won! or at least I thought I had. I noticed the Verdun battle counter was sitting just off the board. I must have missed the battle. I looked through the deck. I couldn't find the Verdun card at all. I checked again, and triple checked. No card. I counted up my cards. It turns out I'm actually missing TWO cards!

I'm devastated! My 20th play was the historical set up so I know I had the full deck then. I then played 9 other games at home in my office before tonight's game.

I must have lost the cards in my office somewhere. I'm not a great shuffler and they must have gone flying somewhere while I was shuffling during one of the games number 21-29......

I'm working away from home at the moment, and I was hoping to get a few games of OS under my belt to count towards my Gallipoli 100 goal....... :( Darn it.

Gaaaahhh! Nothing makes a geek lose sleep like the mere knowledge that one of his games is missing components! Hope you find them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Daffin
United Kingdom
Ledbury
Herefordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
travisdhill wrote:
Nooooooo! Please keep us updated! I am in my mid-30s of plays and probably will get a couple more in here soon. Best wishes.

Found 'em! Under my office table, on the floor behind the waste basket! Phew!

Working away for the next 8 days (including the weekend) so should hopefully have chance to play a few more times.............
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mayor Jim
United States
Fort Wright
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Vote Often!
mbmbmbmbmb
Good thing no one did a quick vacuum job and suck them up forever meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Daffin
United Kingdom
Ledbury
Herefordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Played my 25th game tonight in my 'Gallipoli 100' challenge - a quarter of the way!

I'm a bit behind schedule, but I am optimistic I can increase the pace in completing the challenge by the January deadline.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Daffin
United Kingdom
Ledbury
Herefordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Played my 50th game in my Gallipoli 100 challenge - halfway there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Clocherty
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good work!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.