Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason Albert
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When this Event occurs, the receiving player may draw a random smoke marker, then place it into a hex adjacent to one of his unbroken Squads (only). The selected hex cannot be Water Terrain nor contain a Blaze. If he does, each player that controls a unit in that hex must choose one such friendly unit and break it. [3.2].

I’ve played hundreds of games of CC, but this is one thing that’s always seemed a little fuzzy. (Even though the rule as written is clear.) So is it true the only time this would have any ill effect to the player carrying out the event is if they drew it while resolving a melee, and decided to throw the WP into the melee hex?

I think what trips me up is that it’s called out on the card for each player in the WP hex to break a unit, but it seems like such an edge case that you’d draw this specific event during a melee, and the situation would be such that you’d want to break one of your own units. But that’s gotta be right, because I can’t think of any other time the last sentence would be relevant ... unless I’m forgetting something, which is surely possible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ahmed Hadzi
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No, once melee FP locks in, breaking the unit after the fact doesn't help you. If those units survived the melee, then some of them will be broken, a marginal effect.

It's a lucky event to draw BEFORE you advance into Melee. For example, fire happens on the other side of the board, you draw WP. Break the unit adjacent to another stack, play advance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Albert
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ahmedhadzi wrote:
No, once melee FP locks in, breaking the unit after the fact doesn't help you. If those units survived the melee, then some of them will be broken, a marginal effect.

It's a lucky event to draw BEFORE you advance into Melee. For example, fire happens on the other side of the board, you draw WP. Break the unit adjacent to another stack, play advance.

No, I get this. If you were the inactive player and you drew the event during your roll, the FP would would be locked in and breaking your own unit wouldn't matter. But that seems to be the only time that last sentence would matter. That's what I'm getting it.

I'm not saying it's not clear. It just always creates a moment of hesitation when I read it on the card (or in the rules) because it seems so unlikely to ever be employed.

I suppose its effect would be like a delayed Ambush if you drew it at the exact right moment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Szarka
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
When it is your turn to send a VASSAL move, the wait is excruciating. When it's my turn, well, I've been busy.
mbmbmbmbmb
It would be rare but the card accounts for what would happen if it did.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Garramone
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought I was the only one who echoed these sentiments. Nice post, thank you sir.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AlbertaClipper wrote:
When this Event occurs, the receiving player may draw a random smoke marker, then place it into a hex adjacent to one of his unbroken Squads (only). The selected hex cannot be Water Terrain nor contain a Blaze. If he does, each player that controls a unit in that hex must choose one such friendly unit and break it. [3.2].

I’ve played hundreds of games of CC, but this is one thing that’s always seemed a little fuzzy. (Even though the rule as written is clear.) So is it true the only time this would have any ill effect to the player carrying out the event is if they drew it while resolving a melee, and decided to throw the WP into the melee hex?

I think what trips me up is that it’s called out on the card for each player in the WP hex to break a unit, but it seems like such an edge case that you’d draw this specific event during a melee, and the situation would be such that you’d want to break one of your own units.

If it didn't explicitly say that each player with a unit in the hex must break one, then the card effect would be different, and you'd be happy to use it in a melee hex to break only an enemy unit.

I for one am happy that it covers an unusual situation clearly and explicitly expressing the intent (that both players in the hex would suffer the effect).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Albert
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gunderian007 wrote:
Sometimes melee is not resolved until the beginning of _______ turn.

Also note that melee can result from Walking Wounded, Reinforcemnt, Time Triggers, etc etc. So when resolving a big artillery barrage, with several hexes/units involved, this can create a melee and then a WP event.

If the unbroken squad WPs its own melee hex, then follows up with an Ambush, there may be no need to roll for a result.

Of course! Great examples! Delayed melee! Arty barrage! Thank you, Paul. I knew there was something I wasn't thinking of.

Also, I knew every word in this ruleset is so careful, and so intentional, of course it was written to cover any and all future cases instead of simply the present one in X-hundred or one in a thousand.

Now, I can sleep.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Confusion Under Fire
United Kingdom
Warrington
Cheshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Of course you could just place the WP in a hex containing only your own unit(s). The step loss might be negated by the benefit the smoke hindrance brings. Playing a Recover order might leave you with a full strength squad and the smoke still in the hex. You might also target one of your own units so that you can use a Light Wounds action to create a team and lose an extra card from your hand at the same time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.