Xia: Legends of a Drift System» Forums » Rules

Subject: How is everyone handling damaged outfits? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Larry Schneider
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Say I have a Zulu II Shield with 2 damage markers on it. I encounter an asteroid that deals 7 points of damage so I decide to place 2 armed markers on the Shield. I roll a 5 and 1.

What's the final damage result from the asteroid?

a. 7 - (5-2=3) - (1-2=-1) = 5 ?
b. 7 - (5-2=3) - (1-2=0) = 4 ?
c. 7 - (5+1-2) = 3 ?
d. None of the above ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rav
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
B.

The math is done individually per use marker, minimum 0.

So the 5 is reduced to 3, the 1 is reduced to 0, so 7 damage minus 3 shielding is 4 damage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Schneider
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Ravendas wrote:
B.

The math is done individually per use marker, minimum 0.

So the 5 is reduced to 3, the 1 is reduced to 0, so 7 damage minus 3 shielding is 4 damage.

Thanks. Is that specifically mentioned somewhere in the rules or did you just surmise that? Or has this been discussed in an earlier post that I missed?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Team Ski
United States
Dover
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
CHOMP!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm confused here. If you have 7 damage and roll a total of 6 on your shields, then the damage is 1. Where are you getting anything other than that???

-SKi

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rav
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Teamski wrote:
I'm confused here. If you have 7 damage and roll a total of 6 on your shields, then the damage is 1. Where are you getting anything other than that???

-SKi

There's 2 damage markers on the shields. Each damage reduces any roll by that outfit by 1.

As far as the minimum zero, I just thought it would be common sense. Like, a blaster firing for -1 damage somehow healing the enemy ship? -1 speed on an engine roll making you go backwards? Just figure that 0 would be the minimum.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Brokaw
United States
Hillsboro
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
It's not a damn moped!
mbmbmbmbmb
Teamski wrote:

-SKi

At the time of the NEW attack, he said that he ALREADY had 2 damage markers on his shields.

The answer is "B". I don't know if it is in the rules off-hand, but Cody taught me the game at a local game store and that's how he taught it. Minimum zero per die roll.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Team Ski
United States
Dover
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
CHOMP!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
brokasaphasia wrote:
Teamski wrote:

-SKi

At the time of the NEW attack, he said that he ALREADY had 2 damage markers on his shields.

The answer is "B". I don't know if it is in the rules off-hand, but Cody taught me the game at a local game store and that's how he taught it. Minimum zero per die roll.

I don't have the game with me, but if he is able to put two energy on a shield (if there are spaces open to do so) and roll two dice with a total of 6, how does 7-6=4?

-Ski

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bate
United Kingdom
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd have gone with the third option.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Team Ski
United States
Dover
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
CHOMP!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Never mind. Sorry. I forgot about the damage reducing dice rolls by one.

-Ski

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bate
United Kingdom
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Teamski wrote:
brokasaphasia wrote:
Teamski wrote:

-SKi

I don't have the game with me, but if he is able to put two energy on a shield (if there are spaces open to do so) and roll two dice with a total of 6, how does 7-6=4?

-Ski

Have you remember that you lose two def points off the roll for the two existing damage.

The third option works like this in my mind.

He rolls 5+1 = 6, had two damage tokens on the outfit which is a mod of -2 to the roll of 6, 6-2 =4 defence.

Incoming damage 7 - final def value of 4 = 3.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Team Ski
United States
Dover
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
CHOMP!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
wrrlykam wrote:
Teamski wrote:
brokasaphasia wrote:
Teamski wrote:

-SKi

-Ski

Have you remember that you lose two def points off the roll for the two existing damage.

He rolls 5+1 = 6, had two damage tokens on the outfit which is a mod of -2 to the roll of 6, 6-2 =4 defence.

Gotcha. See immediately above. Thanks for the clarification.

-Ski

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Schneider
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
wrrlykam wrote:
Teamski wrote:
brokasaphasia wrote:
Teamski wrote:

-SKi

-Ski

Yeah, I could see either option B or C. Though B SEEMS to make a tad more sense to me. Was hoping Cody or a playtester chimed in about this at some point to offer some definitive news. Guess I'll go with B for now (though C is definitely more attractive!).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rav
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not C. The book says it's reduced per outfit marker, combining them doesn't reduce the negatives.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bate
United Kingdom
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ravendas wrote:
It's not C. The book says it's reduced per outfit marker, combining them doesn't reduce the negatives.

Rav can you post the page/paragraph locations so I can have a read and get it fixed in my head?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rav
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wrrlykam wrote:
Ravendas wrote:

Rav can you post the page/paragraph locations so I can have a read and get it fixed in my head?

Xia Rulebook wrote:

Outfits: Damage Markers can be placed on any Section of an Outfit. Each
Section of the Outfit can hold one }. Damage Markers on an Outfit cause that
Outfit to become less effective. Each } placed on an Outfit reduces rolls by 1
(ex. A Blaster Outfit with 2} rolls a 5; this counts as a 3 because of the 2}).
Damage Markers on an Outfit affect rolls only for that Outfit. Outfits are not
destroyed when they are fully covered by Damage Markers; they are simply
unusable until repaired.

Edit: Pretend the curly brackets are damage symbols.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bate
United Kingdom
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ravendas wrote:
wrrlykam wrote:
Ravendas wrote:

Xia Rulebook wrote:

unusable until repaired.

Thanks, I'll peruse that section (Page 9 Paragraph 3).

I'm assuming that the salient sentence in question is

Quote:
Each * placed on an Outfit reduces rolls by 1
(ex. A Blaster Outfit with 2* rolls a 5; this counts as a 3 because of the 2*).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Schneider
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Ravendas wrote:
wrrlykam wrote:
Ravendas wrote:

Xia Rulebook wrote:

unusable until repaired.

I originally started this thread because I didn't think that section of the rulebook made it clear one way or the other. I'm not sure it backs option B any more than it might back option C.

The trouble is, the example in the rules only has to do with one die rolled. And, in the phrase "Each damage placed on an Outfit reduces rolls," 'rolls' could mean rolls of one or more dice as a group or rolls of each individual die.

Am I missing something here?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rav
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
schnel wrote:
Ravendas wrote:
wrrlykam wrote:
Ravendas wrote:

Xia Rulebook wrote:

unusable until repaired.

I originally started this thread because I didn't think that section of the rulebook made it clear one way or the other. I'm not sure it backs option B any more than it might back option C.

The trouble is, the example in the rules only has to do with one die rolled. And, in the phrase "Each damage placed on an Outfit reduces rolls," 'rolls' could mean rolls of one or more dice as a group or rolls of each individual die.

Am I missing something here?

One use of an outfit is one roll. These uses can be combined for attacks and shields, but they're still individual rolls, so get penalized individually.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Dyer
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
P&P RPG>Tabletop>Sports>VideoGames
badge
I love all kinds of games and competitions.
mbmbmbmbmb
It's B. It's absolutely B.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Though I'm coming here late, I'll chime-in with another reference to support the "B" answer and the above two posts:

Page 6, under "Outfits Overview"
"Use spaces limit how many times the Outfit may be used in a turn (ex. This blaster, with 2 Use Spaces, may be used twice in one turn."

So, definitely, it's "B"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.