Brian Vogle
United States
Jenks
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not going to rehash other reviews (especially the excellent review by SkookumPete), but rather discuss the two reasons i decided to purchase SOM: solo play and scorekeeping.

I have a great group of guys in Tulsa that I game with, but I live on one side of town, and they live roughly 40 minutes away. A fine distance for a once-a-month gaming get together, but way too far for spur of the moment gaming. So, i'm always on the lookout for good solo games. Having been bit in recent years by the baseball bug, i decided to pick up SOM.

IMHO, it plays great solo, and it's relative speed of play (i can play a game using Advanced Rules in 30-45 minutes while scorekeeping) lets me fit in games when i can. It's simple to stop and start games too, so getting pulled away isn't a problem, as baseball has natural stopping points.

I started out with the basic rules, but quickly moved to the Advanced rules, which add in a lot more variability to plays, as well as adding realism. With this comes more chart lookups and die rolls, but i'm the kind of person who likes that. I don't know if i'll ever get to the level of the super advanced rules, but for now, i'm perfectly fine with where i am.

The other reason i purchased SOM was for the scorekeeping aspect. I wanted to learn the Project Scoresheet scoring method, which uses a collection of codes to describe each play. SOM is great for this, as i can take as much time as i want to look up what code works for each play. The codes are coming to me much easier now, but I still have to look a few up (such as a runner caught steeling from 1st to 2nd). But the point is that SOM, being such a good simulation of baseball, allows me to learn the scoring method without having to do it one game at a time in the real world.

The only downside to scorekeeping SOM is that some of the batter results don't do a good enough job describing where the ball went, forcing me to make things up (such as a result of "SINGLE", vs. "SINGLE (rf)". But that's not the end of the world, and i either don't record the ball location, or make educated guesses.

Now, i'm sure scorekeeping isn't for everyone, and probably doesn't interest most of those playing SOM, but it adds a great bit of fun for me, whether i'm watching a live game or playing SOM.

SOM has definitely been a great fit for the reasons i purchased it. I don't know how well it plays two-player, but for solo play, it's fun and quick.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gene
United States
Venice
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Hey! Watch where you point that thing :)
mbmbmbmbmb
[q="TedTorgerson"]if the field is not specified the hit should be recorded as having been hit to Centerfield. for example, a TR 1-4, DO 5-20 and you attempt to score from first on the double you must run against the centerfielder's arm.q]

Absolutely correct.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Morse
United States
Falmouth
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
http://atroublewithwords.com/
mbmbmbmbmb
This was exactly the review I was looking for.

I spend a lot of my time looking for ways to play multi-player boardgames solo, so it's always nice to find one designed to be played that way.

I too, have been bitten (all but consumed) by the baseball bug and am lusting for a boardgame to apply like a salve to the festering wound that remains. (That sounds pretty gross...)

Anyway, I think I'm convinced that Strat-O-Matic is the way to go.

Thanks!

-Quixote
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.