Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Lawson
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The following playtest report was posted by Richard Berg on Consimworld on Aug 9, 2006 11:24 AM:

PLAYTEST AAR

The following is a playtest report - first run-thru - from David Klempa. Interesting to note the presence of a woman . . .always a good sign in this hohby.

RHB

"First let me mention this was not a completed game as we got started a little late had to teach it to one of the players. But we got through enough turns to get a feel for the flow of the game. I’ll give you the highlights instead of a turn by turn:

I initially activated one Pirate; the others activated both.

My wife went first. She had Edward England in the Indian Ocean Coastal with a single merchant. She found it easily – a 3M. She outfought it, snagging 1000 Dbl in booty, a value 6 hostage (which of course that wimp England refused to torture) and the most powerful ship in the game all on turn one. We others didn’t have any card to stop her (I had Scurvy but she was coastal).

I had activated Wynne in the Caribbean Coastal and I tried an immediate attack on Guadalupe. With my +3 advantage, the port needed a 5 or 6 to have any chance of beating me (of course it got a 5) and could only beat me if I got a 1 or 2 (of course I rolled a 1). I took one damage hit (and one Loyalty hit). Now with the port rolling DR12 if I attacked again and all French ports hating me (new rule 10.69), the Adventure limped back out into the Caribbean. Then I got hit with a Mutiny card and ended up marooned while the traitorous Charles Vane took over as Cap’n. All in turn one.

The third player (Frederick Misson, in the Caribbean Deep finds and takes a Sloop for a whopping 60 Dbl and a value-1 hostage. Misson, of course refused to torture, the Hostage so he ended up converting the Sloop make the crew happy.

England puts in at the nearby pro-Pirate (Portuguese) port and sells Booty, netting 1100 net worth but then is reminded (by the bitter, ghostly voice of Wynne) that the Portuguese don’t do ransom. She sails back into the Indian Coastal area.

Newly anointed Cap’n Vane finds a fat Brig in the Caribbean. Seizing it nets him a new ship, 1000 Dbl and a v-5 hostage who was tortured into revealing the standard defensive layout for Spanish ports. Arrr, the fair winds of fortune are a-changin’. But then he notices the Brig has more ‘wear and tear’ than he first thought (3 damage).

I was prepared to hit England with Scurvy to kill the hostage when it was pointed out to me that all the ports in the Indian Ocean are within the Indian Coastal area, so he was never going into the deep water. He put in at the English port and ransomed the hostage netting 420 Dbl (total 1520). He was then hit with D&R and the crew wrecked the town causing 304 Dbl in damage and fines (20%). The crew sobers up but then they try to take off again (another D&R) but he gives them a stern lecture (makes his leadership roll) and they aboard. He was then ready to start raiding the Indian Ocean ports with his neaunstoppable 3M.

Vane sails to Port Royal to sell his Booty and refit his ship before going after all those juicy Spanish ports. But then the crew (at loyalty 10) ‘Mutinies’ (I roll DR12 = 11). Having the charisma of wet kelp, Vane is pitched over the side (along with his Net Worth and the precious Spanish port information. I did score 9 VPs for his Notoriety, which put me in the lead. Arrr, my luck has changed. It just got worse, that’s all. )

We called it a night soon after.

· First and most important, the turns flowed pretty quickly and there was no real downtime. If you weren’t planning what to with your Pirate(s), you were planning what to do to someone else’s. · That’s it for now. It was fun! We’re playing again on Friday.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard H. Berg
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
The above was an early testing of an early version of the new game . . . lots of minrio changes and adjustments since then - but it does give one an idea of the flow of the game. Dave Klempa was, and still is, a most active and valuable playtester.

RHB

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Lawson
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BergBROG wrote:
The above was an early testing of an early version of the new game . . . lots of minrio changes and adjustments since then - but it does give one an idea of the flow of the game. Dave Klempa was, and still is, a most active and valuable playtester.

RHB

Duly noted.

Thanks again for permission to cross post, Richard.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.