Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Karington Hess
United States
Quincy
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you all noticed the Hype surrounging this game? Have you noticed that it has NOT BEEN RELEASED YET?!?! Yet many people have preordered it... My question is simple... Why? is it for the totally cool looking banner system? The "Shiney" Hill Giant? The cool looking Minis? The Cards? the "Role Playing Element"? The War council or is it the fact that DOW has out done themselves again? I would like to hear your imput...

P.S. (I'm getting it b/c I like the minis and I like Memoir '44)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tony brotherton
United Kingdom
orpington
kent
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just pre-ordered it after seeing a copy at my monthly boardgame meet. It looks fantastic, well worth the £45 it's going to cost me.

I have a hankering for a warhammer light game and I suspect that this will be very expandable and lots of people will contribute army lists and scenarios. I also fancy using it as a battle simulator for my fantasy RPG world, so I hope it will get lots of play.

I was astoundedsurprise with the production values of Cleopatra & the Society of Architects, but IMHO this beats it hands down.pstar:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karington Hess
United States
Quincy
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've got a question for myself... why do my posts ALWAYS end up under "File Comments"??

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerrit Kroon
Netherlands
Houten
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I always have been a miniatures fan, but have canned that as a hobby due to the time needed. Now thanks to Battlelore I'll have the fun and not need to put in hour upon hour. Not even going to paint them this time around, also makes it easier to use my swordsmen as orcs alongside the goblins

That alone would have not been enough for a preorder though. What tipped the balance was that I own Memoir and enjoy that quite a bit despite WOII not being a favourite time period for me. Medieval, roman and fantasy are though, so Battlelore hits two out of three there. Hard to resist.

On top of that Days of Wonder made Memoir (I also saw/tried Shadows over Camelot and ticket to ride), so I know that they produce quality games, had this been a new untried company I would not have preordered.

All this combined and the thrown in freebies Hill Giant and Earth Elemental made me very eager to have this on day 1 so I preordered right when to option became available. Added to that is that I’ll be sure this way that I’ll have it available during the X-mas hols, a great time for me to get some people to try it.

I think that it will be a great game to toy around with, amuse and irritate friends, have fun creating adventures for and write up fun battle reports.

I think this one will live up to said hype. Although while I’m eager to play, I can’t say I feel that hyped, probably just to busy working these days for that to happen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Champie
United States
Eureka
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally, I heard nothing but good about the whole Commands & Colors system, and I like the fantasy theme and production values. I came very close to buying Memoir 44 several times, but the theme, lore decks, and monthly baby-expansions got my dollar.

Giants, yay!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Harbin
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I am ordering this game because it will cure cancer.This game will bring about world peace.This game will help me to become a better person and help me to make better moral decisions.If I wear the box on my head, it will allow me to fly.The Battlelore figures will talk to me and be my friends and give me good advice and winning lottery numbers to help pay for more of their kind.A single game of Battlelore will quite simply be the end all,be all wargame/RPG/card game/miniatures boardgame experience.If I own this game, women will want me and you will want to be me.
And it had better meet up to every one of these reasonable expectations or things will go very badly for all of you.You have been warned...

I agree about the hype,but,so far, I am enjoying being excited about a game again.I like Medieval things and I like Fantasy things and I like Miniature things.But above all,I like games.And this one SEEMS like a pretty good one.If it turns out to be crap,well I've blown more money on worse.I did the DnD,the Warhammer,and the Magic.It seems like a little bit of all these,for somebody whose life doesn't allow for all these,anymore.If this one turns out to be a big hit, I can say,"I was there at the beginning."And I got my Hill Giant to show for it.All in all,it seems like it will be alot of quick,dirty-bad fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
2nd, 6th and 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana, 24th Michigan
badge
24th Michigan Monument Gettysburg Pa
mbmbmbmbmb
I ordered it because I really enjoy the system. I play Battle Cry and Memoir '44 with several friends and we have a great time. Battlelore will simply be a different flavor of something that I already enjoy.

In terms of the game itself, what draws me to it most is the variety. The game itself will be very customizable. In time we'll be able to add different creatures (Giant Spider, Hill Giant, Earth Elemental) and armies (One assumes Elves, Orcs and Undead are early favorites for the new armies to be released next year). That can result in scenarios playing completely different depending on what army or creature you choose to play with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Fahey
United Kingdom
London
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm buying it because of the barely controllable urge to pre-order brought on by fear of missing out on the Hill Giant. Wait, that's why I'm not buying it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel de la Casa
Spain
Madrid
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I preordered mainly because I trust the C&C system. I enjoy Memoir a lot, and would like to buy Ancients, but I'd have a tough time looking for opponents. I also like fantasy battles and hope the fantasy theme will be more attractive than ancients.

It seems I'm on the minority here, but expansions are actually a minus, as my budget is really limited. However the promise by DoW that expansions won't be "necessary" is encouraging. And I'm looking forward some elves and orcs (I really, really expected to be able to field an entire goblin army with the base game yukarrrh)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby Warren
United States
Glendale
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
La cheeserie!
mbmb
aristarco wrote:
(I really, really expected to be able to field an entire goblin army with the base game yukarrrh)

I'm sure you can. Just buy multiple base games...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Smith
United States
Troy
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Snigwiddle wrote:
I am ordering this game because it will cure cancer.This game will bring about world peace.This game will help me to become a better person and help me to make better moral decisions.If I wear the box on my head, it will allow me to fly.The Battlelore figures will talk to me and be my friends and give me good advice and winning lottery numbers to help pay for more of their kind.A single game of Battlelore will quite simply be the end all,be all wargame/RPG/card game/miniatures boardgame experience.If I own this game, women will want me and you will want to be me.
And it had better meet up to every one of these reasonable expectations or things will go very badly for all of you.You have been warned...

I agree about the hype,but,so far, I am enjoying being excited about a game again.I like Medieval things and I like Fantasy things and I like Miniature things.But above all,I like games.And this one SEEMS like a pretty good one.If it turns out to be crap,well I've blown more money on worse.I did the DnD,the Warhammer,and the Magic.It seems like a little bit of all these,for somebody whose life doesn't allow for all these,anymore.If this one turns out to be a big hit, I can say,"I was there at the beginning."And I got my Hill Giant to show for it.All in all,it seems like it will be alot of quick,dirty-bad fun.

Hopefully, the game will also come with extra spaces for after your periods and commas.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karington Hess
United States
Quincy
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
... Knit-pick much?? lollaugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Tapp
United States
Waterloo
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm choosing to buy it because I really enjoyed Battle Cry and that I REALLY like the fantasy genre. Add that the the fact that I am looking for a game that is less time consuming than say, WoWtBG, that I can play with my wife while I am bringing her into the board gaming world. If it plays even remotely as smoothly as Battle Cry and looks half as nice as the posted images indicate, it will be a winner in my household

meeple
Thanks,
Shane
meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Marx
United States
Tarpon Springs
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mvettemagred wrote:
Snigwiddle wrote:

Hopefully, the game will also come with extra spaces for after your periods and commas.

LOL! That's awesome. laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well me I'm buying it cos' I have always considered myself a "Game Geek" but Video Games were my passion but now there just isn't enough of something currently for me so I want to take up my rightful place as a "Board Game Geek" and I've been playing Warhammer ((40,000 and Fantasy)) since I was 8 -- I'm 18 now.

I've never had opponents for games like this BUT my brother loves stuff like this and is quite smart strategy-wise he is only 8 though... so I thought I started at 8 in this world of games 'bout time I got him in . I was looking around the net for a website that ranks board-games AND Lo-and-Behold!!!

There was one & BGG is just great. I saw something about a game called "Battlelore" fell in love and I really want an Earth Elemental... never been a fan of giants, just a fan of heores killing them... e.g. Hercules and my heroes from Warhammer... Anyways... It just looks incredible, the models and such and this is from a person who's extent of wargame, boardgames is Risk, never played C&C system but not saw anything negative... damn I love you geeks here ((wouldn't count Warhammer that's table-top to me, boardgames are neater and much more self-contained)). ((Got the SW:Clone Wars Edition of Risk -- first ever play yesterday & I love risk! -- I got beat, but still...))

Wow... that is alot of writing... erm I'd summarize for people who don't like to read but well that would mean me having to read it all ... anyways that is my reason for you Angel_Azrael...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Bigmore
England
Abingdon
Oxon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
angel_azrael wrote:
... Knit-pick much?? lollaugh

Shouldn't that be "nitpick"?

I'll get my coat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Fahey
United Kingdom
London
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
brilliant Dan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim W
United States
wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't pre-ordered it and am (attempting to) patiently waiting for the release to hear the players reviews. Yes, this means I miss out on a nice Hill Giant, but, I've invested in too many games that went south too quickly (mostly off-shoot GW games).

I own and play Battle Cry which is a great quick game. Reminds me a lot of Battle Master in style, which is another fun light wargame, a little unbalanced and BIG, but a lot of fun and unpredictable.

My experience with getting wives involved in these games is buy Ticket to Ride. My wife loves it. She won't touch a fantasy/medieval game at all . However, if it involves (psuedo) travel in luxury, she's there.

Thanks all for taking the first plunge for the game. Let the rest of know if it's truly worth hype and price.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karington Hess
United States
Quincy
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I try to be as accurate as possible as to avoid grammar fascistsninja... some times to no avail... I "knit-pick" myself sometimes. no hard feelings

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Harbin
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Ha,Ha,Ha!!You actually took time out of your life to correct my crazy-mad typing skills.I love it!!True power can be defined as the ability to change the behavior of others,whether they want it to be altered or not.I changed your behavior.I have power over you!!!Notice:I did not include spaces after my commas in this post either,therefore you have no power over me!! Why, this is going to become my raison d'etre,the singular event in my life that defines me as a person!!Down with comma/spaces!!!
Oh Crap!!Your post correcting my typing has forced me to post again.Damn,I guess you do have power over me!Oh well,besides correcting some goddawful keyboard-raping fiend,who is obviously hell-bent on bringing down this wonderful forum,no-the entire internet-was there anything you might have wanted to add to the conversation?As the little tag under my name shows,I am an ignorant,pathetic new user,only 14 days old,who only wanted to be a part of this awesome site.But thanks to your scathing critique of my post,I am done with gaming.Goodbye cruel Geeks,I hardly knew you.....(was that too many little dots at the end?I just don't know without somebody to correct me.)

P.S. Not really.You guys have given me too much entertainment when I was just a lurker to leave.

P.S.S-Geesus, Matthew Smith(or is it Mavis Beacon?).It's just a comma without a space.Or maybe a few.Hee Hee Hee.I did not mean to offend.I thought my lighthearted take on the super hype was adding something, and I thought I was amongst friends,or at least friendlies.I now realize,thanks to your totally relevant and accurate post,that I'm the first poster on these forums who can't type,or spell,or use the written word.Man do I suck.I didn't know my shortcomings as a typist prevented my ideas from being understood.I guess I shouldn't play so many games and go read Elements of Style.Thank You.

P.SS.-Thanks angel-azrael and crumbb and bigland for making a new user not feel like a complete ass just because he is completely worthless on a keyboard.You guys Kickass!!

S.P.S.P-Staples has Hi-Liters,you know,the REALLY BIG fat ones,on sale if you want to edit all the forums for bad grammer,bad typing,and bad style.Should keep you busy for awhile.

Psssssss-So I don't make any enemies so early on...Love you Matthew.

I do suck.Look at these edits!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Di Ponio
United States
Lake Orion
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My Reason: Pretty simple-minded...It looks DAMN fun! Plus...i enjoy the Mem 44 system...Quite fun and the expansions have really kept the game alive for me! I am digging the fantasy theme!

The overview does not seem like a game that will be overly complicated and what will really make the game different will be the magic!

All of us that are waiting.....never fear....it WILL get here!!!!!gulp

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glen Cote
United States
Central Village
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oooo, shiny...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"Nobody gets me. I'm the wind, baby!" - Tom Servo
badge
"Push the button, Frank!"
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played Memoir '44 and thought it was a really cool game but I'm not a big WW2 fan so never picked up a copy myself.

The fantasy theme really got me excited and having the option of nifty monsters and a war council adds alot of options. From all the info seems like a much more expandable and evolved version of the system.

I have four regular gaming buddies and we play at least every other week. Normally we make it a point to buy different games since it makes no sense to buy the same game someone else has. But this game was an exception. Three of us each ordered it just because its so cool. I suppose in the long run it will be a good move so we can play a double board and large army game with those extra copies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Gaskill
United States
Bridgeton
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have never played a DoW Game but checked out an announcement on TMP
& was impressed!My group has been playing mass battles from Middle
Earth's 1 & 2nd Ages using a heavily home brewed up BattleMaster Game.

The BL compoment quality & system seemed a much better way to go.
Plus after reviewing its game world setting it gives us a chance
to dust off SPI Empire of The Middle Ages as a Campaign vehicle.

So preordered at end of October & just waiting

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Smith
United States
Troy
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Robert,

I loved your initial sarcastic post. My meager addition was also intended to be sarcastic (Crumbb got it). Glad to see you were able to respond with more humor. Welcome to BGG -- you have a bright future on this site.

With all the hype this game has received, I fully expect it to come with help for the spacebar challenged. Now, if I could just find a game to help me with my attempts at writing humor...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.