7 Posts

Dreamblade» Forums » Rules

Subject: "You may" blade ability question. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sylvain Scaglione
Canada
flag msg tools
Sorry if this is obvious, but english not being my native langage, maybe I'm a bit confused here.

Can I "waste" a blade by assigning it to an ability that states "You may" (like skirmish) and do nothing with the ability even if I could execute the ability. An example being an attack with a knight and an iron thug, I'd waste a blade on the skirmish instead of using it with the Fumble but actually do nothing with the skirmish.

Thanks,
Sylvain

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Brown
Australia
Melbourne
VIC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes. You have to assign blades to blade abilities when they are rolled during a strike. If the ability is may, when you assign the ability, techincally you must target something, but you are able to then choose not to use the actual ability.

So, you roll 4 attack dice and roll 1 blade. You have a mini with a single blade Skirmish ability. You have to assign the blade, you target one of your engaged minis and choose not to move it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sylvain Scaglione
Canada
flag msg tools
Ok, so if I understand correctly, I need to have the condition satisfied to be able to assign the blade, if I don't have any engaged ally I cannot assign the blade to skirmish.

thanks,
Sylvain

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mrbass
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Page 22 of the rulebook

Quote:

If a miniature has more than one blade
ability, you may activate some and not others,
and you may activate them in any order.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mrbass
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
from the official Dreamblade FAQ
http://boards1.wizards.com/showthread.php?t=699246

Quote:
Q: Can I assign a blade to an attacking creature’s blade ability if the creature has moved to a different cell?

A: Yes. As long as the creature attacked it can have a blade ability assigned to it, even if it’s no longer in the combat cell. For example, you attack with a Knight of Tomorrow and an Iron Thug and roll two blades. You assign one blade to the Skirmish ability of Knight of Tomorrow and target the Iron Thug to move it one cell. Since the Iron Thug attacked in that cell you can (and must) assign the second blade to Iron Thug’s Fumble ability, reducing the amount of damage you deal in the combat cell, even though the Iron Thug is no longer in that cell. Another example: you attack with two Knights of Tomorrow and roll two blades. The first blade is assigned to the first Knight to Skirmish the second Knight forward. The second blade can then be assigned to the second Knight, allowing you to Skirmish the first Knight forward if you want to.

{oB}: Skirmish — You may move target engaged ally one cell.
{oB}: Fumble 2 — Deal –2 damage this combat.

Q: Can I assign a blade to a blade ability on a creature moved into the combat cell during combat?

A: No. You can only assign blades to abilities on creatures that attacked in that combat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sylvain Scaglione
Canada
flag msg tools
mrbass wrote:
Page 22 of the rulebook

Quote:

If a miniature has more than one blade
ability, you may activate some and not others,
and you may activate them in any order.

Yup I got that part. But my question was more geared toward the condition upon which the assignment is valid.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Brown
Australia
Melbourne
VIC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
barista9 wrote:
Ok, so if I understand correctly, I need to have the condition satisfied to be able to assign the blade, if I don't have any engaged ally I cannot assign the blade to skirmish.

You have to assign a blade to an ability.

If the ability has no valid targets, nothing happens.

If the ability has at least 1 valid target, you must target the ability.

If the ability is a "may" then you can choose not to use the ability.

This means if you roll 1 blade and have the option of assigning to a Skirmish ability or a Fumble ability. The Skirmish is optional the Fumble is compulsory. Even if you have no actual targets for Skirmish, you can assign a blade to it. If you have a legal target, you must target the Skirmish, but can then choose not to move the target.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.