Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lou Moratti
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have put in many a game order from on-line retailers but had never ordered from Cardhaus. Seeing the great deal they offered here for the additional 10% off, I decided to give them a go. I went to the site, priced the games out that I wanted, and saw they had prices competitive with the other online shops so the extra 10% added up to be a sweet deal, and free shipping to boot!

So, 3 days later I go to the site again to put my order in and, to my surprise, find that 3 of the 8 games on my list are no longer there! Not available for back-order, nothing--as if they never had them. So I mailed them questioning what the deal was and they told me that if a game is out of stock they remove it completely until they know when they will get more in.(??) So I've waited a couple weeks and still nothing. And these are newly released titles available at other venues. I wouldn't have minded back-ordering these games but they don't give you that option.

I find this quite an odd way to do business and it's left a sour taste in my mouth. With the holidays coming up and feeling the need to get my order in I have gone back to good ol reliable Thoughthammer where 2 of the games are back-ordered but I was able to get my $187 order done and I'm sure I'll have the games shortly. Not only a blown opportunity at a sale for Cardhaus, but I will be very unlikely to attempt to use them again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
It is not their choice whether or not something becomes unavailable to them. A lot of company don't deal with backorders because it can lead to problems with expired credit cards and such and the distinct possibility of a price change by the time an order arrives. They are attempting to avoid customer service issues.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric
Canada
Gatineau
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's a good thing to remove the out of Stock games from their list, if they can't get it for any reason, your order might be on hold for a few weeks before they can be sure that it won't be available for a while.

I'd rather that than thinking I will get it and delay an order for 3-4 weeks only to be told that the game is no longer available. And by that time, it may not be available at another store.

What bothers me when I shop is to see a game I want, only to see "Out of Stock" in red beside it, when I'm ready to add it to my cart.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Myers
United States
Madison
WI
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PaleHorse wrote:
So, 3 days later...

Three days later..? Sounds like a missed opportunity for you. New releases, cheapest price around with the discount -- not surprising they didn't last long.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mrbass
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PaleHorse wrote:
if a game is out of stock they remove it completely until they know when they will get more in.(??)

I much prefer this way then crappy amazon. Order something on amazon and basically it ain't in stock it's just means we'll drop ship it for ya so turn around could be a couple weeks to a couple months or even ....sorry this item is no longer available even though it was ordered. Newegg is a classic example of a computer store online that only sells in stock items. You snooze you loose.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Wilson
United States
Sioux City
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cardhaus isn't quite as big as some online retailers, what they carry is a bit more limited. Not only that, they also are a minor distributor under another name. So not only are they supplying these shops, but also the influx of orders. I assume they're trying to pull in a bit more money during this Christmas season and I'm hoping this will end up with them increasing their stock overall since they also happen to be my distributor. The in-stock can be inconvenient, trust me, I know, but they try and have great customer service. I'll continue to use them as a distributor and hope this helps them grow and allows me to have better selection in the future. Also, keep in mind that since they don't have the volume of Thoughthammer, they get their shipments later on usually from some companies. Just some food for thought.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
You might as well delete this thread now, as I and probably no one else is going to see how you got any bad business at all. This has to be one of the worst complaints I've heard in a while.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JP LaChance
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
and you didn't order the games from cardhaus when you saw them on your first visit why?? I must have missed that in the post.

This is not CH's fault it is yours.

sorry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lou Moratti
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think you'll find anywhere in my post that I accused them of poor service. I said I found it odd that they would totally remove an item and not allow a back-order which I have not found any other on-line retailer doing, and expressed my frustration with that policy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Squires
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I don't think you'll find anywhere in my post that I accused them of poor service. I said I found it odd that they would totally remove an item and not allow a back-order which I have not found any other on-line retailer doing, and expressed my frustration with that policy.

That's how I intepreted the post. Although I can understand why some stores may not want to deal with backorders it would be to their benefit to understand that they DID miss an opportunity and now ThoughtHammer rather than Cardhaus has your $187.

ThoughtHammer's a great online store that other's should aspire to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
robin h.
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
my annoyance was that I completed an order, and got an email the next day stating that 2 (of 5) items in my order were no longer in stock....

I very nearly cancelled the entire order, since the shipping to cost ratio was poor - the only reason I didn't was that one of the items is a bit hard to obtain anywhere this season. Still, now I need to place 2 more orders to OTHER ONLINE vendors to complete my shopping, since no one store has both items in stock..... and I'll certainly end up paying shipping 3 times instead of once. (my nearest FLGS is over 35 miles each way, and doesn't stock these titles either....)

My favorite small-time online vendors (fabric, not games) would have shipped the partial order for free or sent a coupon had this happened (which it has on several occasions), and since they get manufacturer's overruns, when it's gone, its really gone for ever. Sometimes they find they have mis-estimated the amount available or find flaws as they unroll the bolt.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gone Fishing
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
The original post seemed more like an advertisement for ThoughtHammer at the expense of Cardhaus, and it is despicable in my opinion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Cardarelli
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, I can't believe everyone is jumping on this guy for him expressing his opinion. I wouldn't shop at an online place that took items off when they are back-ordered. I only make 2 or 3 orders a year, but I shape and mold my "cart" in between to make sure I have the games I want. Often during the wait period in between orders, a game will be temporarily out of stock, but will some back in stock soon enough. Just because its temporarily not there, I don't think the game should be deleted from the database until they get more. That would be very confusing and tedious, cause I would have to continually add the game back to my cart each time it came back in stock. Maybe you don't see a problem with it, but thats no need to be a jerk about it. MICHAEL!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kevin long
United States
Portland
OR
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thumbs down to those who think this is an oppurtunity to squash the author of the thread - thumbs up to those that are educating the rest of us on these marketting nuances - thanks for the info!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Wills
Australia
Panania
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PaleHorse wrote:
With the holidays coming up and feeling the need to get my order in I have gone back to good ol reliable Thoughthammer where 2 of the games are back-ordered but I was able to get my $187 order done and I'm sure I'll have the games shortly.

It will be interesting to hear your thoughts once the games are delivered, since you are currently comparing the two based on your belief in what ThoughtHammer will do, as opposed to what they have actually done.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Rodriguez
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
While many stores allow you to purchase via backorders, some do not. It may very well be that Cardhaus has no plans on acquiring additional stock of the items and, in that case, backorders are not an option.

While your complaint that cardhaus doesn't take backorders is perfectly valid, I would think that many people here would disagree with you that it is a problem - some might argue that it is a feature. Many here would also think you are making a (relative) big deal out of nothing.

Personally, I recommend people keep their complaints for when companies fail to provide a service someone paid for, rather than complaining about lack of features not available on a site (what's next... a tread to decry how someone isn't taking paypal?).

But hey, post what you want to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lou Moratti
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks to those who see my post for what it was and not be reading into it whatever they choose. I'm not a Thoughthammer shill and I'm not complaining of poor service--just frustration at a policy I've not encountered before and think it's odd.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael @mgouker
United States
Pembroke Pines
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lou, I don't see you as a Thoughthammer shill at all. I just think that perhaps you could have had a more satisfactory outcome if you had tried to work with them.

In my case, I made a small order from Cardhaus the other day - some Christmas shopping (just a couple of gifts). One game wasn't in stock, so I called them up to find out when it would restock. They said it would be some time this week so I just asked them to send the games together and I would pay the difference in shipping. They said there would be no problem. I cannot believe that my experience is unique (it was only a $50 order). Therefore, I am inclined to believe that through email or a phone call (I can call for free on my cellular so I prefer to call) you could have probably resolved your problem, if there was the slightest chance that the games you wanted would arrive. If they cannot get the games, then they did the right thing by not fulfilling the order. I waited over a year for some games to arrive that were on the pre-order list of another vendor. That was very frustrating.

I just want to point out that I've had great service from Cardhaus, Time Well Spent, Thoughthammer, Fine Games, Fair Play Games, Game Surplus, Boulder Games, Playme.de, Boards & Bits, Gamer's Armory, New Spiel, and many others over the years (I apologize if I've forgotten someone). Whenever I had an issue, I contacted the people that worked there and WITHOUT EXCEPTION, I found very nice individuals that were always willing to help.

Edit: Really unforgivable to leave Bunker Hill Games off that list. I scored Warplan: Dropshot from them. :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bernhardt
United States
saratoga springs
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PaleHorse wrote:
Thanks to those who see my post for what it was and not be reading into it whatever they choose. I'm not a Thoughthammer shill and I'm not complaining of poor service--just frustration at a policy I've not encountered before and think it's odd.

Odd and frustrating enough to share with thousands of people? I dont get it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
On-Line Want List Generator - Hopefully Making Math Trades a Little Bit Easier
badge
Captain Kirk, Captain Picard, Captain Sisko, Captain Janeway, Captain Archer
mbmbmbmbmb
I ran into the problem that some of the items I had planned to order were no longer in stock.

So I emailed them (Daniel), and he said no problem, he can add them to the order (as pre-orders of course).

Also for what it's worth, I believe their price for Shogun pre-order http://cardhaus.com/cgi-local/shop3.pl/SID=28307160392355751... is the lowest at $38.99 (~ 40% off MSRP), before the 10% November BGG promotion which brings it down to $35.10!!! Compare that to $42.22 at http://thoughthammer.com/product_info.php?products_id=1757

Sadly they dropped their price locking pre-order policy after the Shogun huge jump in MSRP fiasco (though they did honor the policy up to that point in time).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Cliffton
United States
California
flag msg tools
You do have the right to complain about a retailer's policy. However, there are probably a lot of reasons 'behind the scenes' they do business like that - even at the risk they lose customers like yourself... Has TH guaranteed you'll "have the games shortly" and at the same price?.... or is 5 months down the road 'shortly' with an extra paypal payment to send for an increase in the msrp?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diane Close
United States
Twin Cities
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mgringo wrote:
In my case, I made a small order from Cardhaus the other day - some Christmas shopping (just a couple of gifts). One game wasn't in stock, so I called them up to find out when it would restock. They said it would be some time this week so I just asked them to send the games together and I would pay the difference in shipping. They said there would be no problem. I cannot believe that my experience is unique

Think again. Intrigued by the BGG "special" I decided to try them and placed a large order, got a confirmation number and confirmation of charges. I also added a note asking about adding two games that were on their site previously but were not on there that day. So far, so good.

The next day I got an email saying that actually, two of they items I had PURCHASED were out of stock and they had ALREADY SHIPPED MY order and canceled the "missing" items without giving me the option of canceling my entire order, substituting, or even addressing my question about the other games I wanted -- one of which was listed as available on their site the very same day they shipped!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Patterson
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry to hear about those who've had a hard time with Cardhaus. I've stopped using them as my "mainstay" online retailer, but only because Time Well Spent is so much closer geographically that things arrive more quickly. Prior to that, I've had nothing but good service from them.

Anyway, I did end up making a $150+ purchase with Cardhaus and everything apparently worked out (expecting it soon).

I'd agree, though, with those who've had some frustration with inventory items dropping entirely off the list when out of stock. I had to fiddle around and check back quite a few times, even getting to the point of nearly placing an order with someone else, before what I wanted popped back on the list. (I knew they'd had it and would in all likelihood have it again.) I was patient enough to wait, but I'd bet that a lot of more-casual shoppers would note an item wasn't on the list, assume that Cardhaus didn't carry it, and move on to another seller.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Who Am I Now?
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've ordered from (and been completely satisfied with) Gamesurplus, Bouldergames, Timewellspent, and Funagain. I am currently waiting for Bouldergames to get a particular title back in stock so that I may place an order for it. The fact that they don't accept orders for "Out of Stock" games doesn't particularly bother me.

What does bother me is an order I received where the seller enclosed an envelope with a cash refund for a title that apparently went out of stock before my order was fulfilled, though the website indicated the title was, in fact, available. This really irritated me, as I then had to reorder the title from another source and pay a second shipping charge. I would have cancelled or told them to hold until the order was complete, had they contacted me for my input.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
SatanicEssence wrote:
I wouldn't shop at an online place that took items off when they are back-ordered.

We have no idea if they are back ordered. They might not be carried anymore.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.