dennis bennett
Germany
back in Frankfurt!
flag msg tools
designer
badge
more of my stuff at www.dennisthebadger.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I own a couple of dice master products but never really got into the game too much. To be honest, i think i'm just a total sucker for those little colourful dice!
I got the original AvX starter set and a gravity feed (box of boosters) which gave me an almost complete set of commons and uncommons and the super rare black widow card (which i believe is probably worth almost a gravity feed by itself).
I picked up a copy of the "uncanny Xmen" version but no boosters and just got hold of a starter set of the DnD version with the promo card (but no boosters). I skipped the Yugioh version.

I've been contemplating picking up some more gravity feeds (probably DnD as i like the theme, then perhaps the next release of DC dice, really loking forward to the guardians of the galaxy dice in the "age of ultron" set too), mostly for the collectibility aspect (did i mention i'm a sucker for those dice?) but i won't be going out of my way to play the actual game (not planning on attending any events or tournaments), so i'll only occasionally be playing with my partner and perhaps a couple of friends i might be able to get interested (which would be more likely if there was a casual-player friendly 3-4 player variant, something that plyed more like quarriors).

So either in relation to what i just wrote or in a more general sense, what are your thoughts on the different sets of dice masters?
Which have you played? which do you collect? which did you like best or worst and for what reason (there doesn't seem to be much excitement aroudn the yugi-oh set, is it the worst of them and not really worth collecting?)?

Poll: which of the dice masters sets is your favourite?
1. Which is your favourite Dice Masters set
Avengers vs. X-men
Uncanny X-men
Yu-Gi-Oh!
Dungeons & Dragons: Battle for Faerun
2. Which is your least favourite Dice Masters set?
Avengers vs. X-men
Uncanny X-men
Yu-Gi-Oh!
3. How interested are you in future sets of Dice Masters?
  not interested only slightly interested interested very interested
upcoming DC Dice Masters set (Justice League)
upcoming Marvel: Avengers set (Age of Ultron)
another set of Marvel
another set of DC
another set of Yu-Gi-Oh!
another set of Dungeons & Dragons
other (please leave a comment)
4. How much do you like these sets?
  dislike slightly dislike indifferent/ neither like nor dislike like really like/love
Avengers vs. X-men
Uncanny X-men
Yu-Gi-Oh!
      216 answers
Poll created by dennisthebadger
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dennis bennett
Germany
back in Frankfurt!
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Or for a more specific recommendations question:

Should i get a gravity feed of Uncanny X-men, DnD or yugioh now or wait for the DC set or even the Ultron set?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul K.
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
D&D is the best stand-alone set. There are several mechanics that do not (currently) mesh fully with the other sets. The art is also by far the best, and the dice look amazing.

The newer sets (D&D, DC: JL, M:AoU) look like they have much better distribution ratios within the gravity feeds.

While UXM has a few "must-have" cards, you should be able to get most of them from other local players in your community or by buying cheap singles on CSI.

YGO has probably the worst art, serial numbers on the dice, and while there are a few good cards here and there you'd be better off skipping it and maybe buying singles if you're looking to be competitive at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dennis bennett
Germany
back in Frankfurt!
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pk2317 wrote:
D&D is the best stand-alone set. There are several mechanics that do not (currently) mesh fully with the other sets. The art is also by far the best, and the dice look amazing.

The newer sets (D&D, DC: JL, M:AoU) look like they have much better distribution ratios within the gravity feeds.

While UXM has a few "must-have" cards, you should be able to get most of them from other local players in your community or by buying cheap singles on CSI.

YGO has probably the worst art, serial numbers on the dice, and while there are a few good cards here and there you'd be better off skipping it and maybe buying singles if you're looking to be competitive at all.

I think i'll have to distract myself with something different until i lose interest again in Dice Masters, otherwise i might end up getting a grevity feed of each set... aarrghhhh

I've been checking ebay and places like coolstuff, but getting a set of commons/uncommons + dice costs almost as much as buying a gravity feed (on collstuff) so it almost feels like better value for money to get a feed with a couple of rares and super rares splashed in (even if you end up having loads of redundant commons and perhaps even a few where you're missing a die).

http://www.diceanon.com/dc-justice-league-review/ from looking at their reviews of the sets it sure looks like DnD doesn't mix as well with the other sets due to more unique mechanics and inner-set cross-refrencing of keywords/subtypes and that kind of stuff.
All of the superhero stuff seems to mix much better. (i really like the DnD setting though...).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dennis bennett
Germany
back in Frankfurt!
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, so little love for Yugioh...
does anybody know if the set has actually had less success than the other sets or does it simply cater to a different demographic than is present here on BGG?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dennis bennett
Germany
back in Frankfurt!
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like we can now add "Spider man" to the list of upcoming sets! yay!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Black
United Kingdom
Scarborough
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmb
Is the D&D set out yet? I've not seen it anywhere in the UK...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dennis bennett
Germany
back in Frankfurt!
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
District31 wrote:
Is the D&D set out yet? I've not seen it anywhere in the UK...

No idea about the UK, but the D&D set has been out in the US for a while now.
The latest set, DC: Justice League, came out just yesterday!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathanael Robinson
United States
Cary
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I have little interest in fantasy, but I must admit, D&D DM is the superior game. The dice are better designed, the cards are heavier. The card effects are interesting. The art is well selected. I only bought a dozen and a half boosters to add some spice to my Uncanny set, and I think they stand out in a positive way. If I cared for the theme, I would buy the starter set. More importantly, I hope future Dice Masters sets start to play more like the D&D set.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dennis bennett
Germany
back in Frankfurt!
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bad Thoughts wrote:
I have little interest in fantasy, but I must admit, D&D DM is the superior game. The dice are better designed, the cards are heavier. The card effects are interesting. The art is well selected. I only bought a dozen and a half boosters to add some spice to my Uncanny set, and I think they stand out in a positive way. If I cared for the theme, I would buy the starter set. More importantly, I hope future Dice Masters sets start to play more like the D&D set.

Thanks.
Yeah, i just went "all in" and ordered a gravity feed of D&D AND the DC set... arghhhhh! Got a bit carried away... chances are i'll hardly play and have some nice stuff to sell on ebay in half a year...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dennis bennett
Germany
back in Frankfurt!
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
also started a poll because i wa sinterested in which other IPs other people migth be interested in.

Poll: Which themes/licenses/IPs would you like to see in Dice Masters?
Which themes/licenses/IPs would you like to see in Dice Masters?

(Yeah, some might seem a bit random or inappropriate, but feel free to vote for whatever you like!)
  don't know/don't recognize IP/theme/franchise NOT interested interested!
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
Nintendo (All Stars/smash Brothers)
Nintendo (Mario Bros only)
Pokemon
Mega Man
He-Man and the Masters of the Universe
Thundercats
Game of Thrones
Star Wars
Star Trek
Square /Enix - (I.e. Final Fantasy)
Transformers
Mortal Combat
Skylander
Capcom (Resident Evil, Street Fighters...)
The Simpsons
Sony IPs (Nathan Drake, Sackboy...)
Firefly
Lord of the Rings
Magic the Gathering
Indiana Jones
Space ship battles with mixed IPs
Mage Knight
Pacific Rim
Mechwarrior
Doctor Who
Shadowrun
WWE (Wrestling)
Dragon Ball Z
Naruto
Mix of horror movie franchises (Friday 13th, Nightmare on Elmstreet)
Venture Bros (Adult Swim)
SNK fighting games (Art of Fighting, Samurai Shodown...)
Firefly
Disney characters
Pixar Cars
Adventure Time
My little Pony
Battlestar Galactica
Nickelodeon
Care Bears
G.I. Joe
Ghostbusters
      131 answers
Poll created by dennisthebadger

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.