Hide
12 Posts

Arkham Horror» Forums » General

Subject: I really want to like this game... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Noble Soybeast
msg tools
...But I can't. It's dull, I might as well be playing by myself. There's no reason to interact with the other players. We all sit around the table, playing our own game on the same board with everyone else. Any ideas on how to remedy this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luca Iennaco
Italy
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Have someone to be "the Game Master". Let him (and only him) read the cards to the other players, and without revealing what the different outcomes can be. Of course the players can (and should) discuss, ask and give opinions, plan together, etc.
Do not turn the monsters to look at their stats.
And so on...

There are also tons of house rules online (to customize every sort of aspect): try those you like and keep those you think work for your group. It'll need some plays, but you'll tune the game to be right for you.

Never play with more than 4 players.

Have fun! meeple

P.S. the game could simply be not for you(r group). If things do not improve after some attempts, and you aren't interested in a solo game (it works fine as a solo experience, even playing multiple characters), sell it and get something else.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael @mgouker
United States
Pembroke Pines
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We have a totally different experience. We have to help each other all the time. Maybe you need to adjust the game to make it harder for you all. Then you have to cooperate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Barlow
Canada
Stratford
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
No one takes the time to read anymore.
mbmbmbmbmb
semiokme wrote:
...But I can't. It's dull, I might as well be playing by myself. There's no reason to interact with the other players. We all sit around the table, playing our own game on the same board with everyone else. Any ideas on how to remedy this?

I totally agree with you! I like the Mythos, but each game I've tried has failed somehow to agree with me. First Mythos CCG and now this. I want to enjoy the game, but there's not a great interaction between players.

I haven't tried Arkham Horror solo. I imagine it'd be a great game that way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noble Soybeast
msg tools
MrSkeletor wrote:
Wow, I can't see how you guys are winning without helping each other.

It's easy. We immediately fall into roles. Since you can use the same stat to seal gates and fight monsters, there are usually 2 people who are "active". They fight monsters, get clues, and seal gates. More or less everyone else gets frustrated because they can't kill monsters or seal gates, and end up trying to get money to buy spells or weapons. We also never close a gate unless it can be sealed. We end up with a lot of monsters milling about, but we never reach the max horror index, and it never makes a big deal. by the time we seal 2 gates, it's obvious we're going to win, and from there on there's no thrill in the playout. We've never come remotely close to an old one awakening, or anyone getting lost/dieing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luca Iennaco
Italy
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
semiokme wrote:
MrSkeletor wrote:
Wow, I can't see how you guys are winning without helping each other.

It's easy. We immediately fall into roles. Since you can use the same stat to seal gates and fight monsters, there are usually 2 people who are "active". They fight monsters, get clues, and seal gates. More or less everyone else gets frustrated because they can't kill monsters or seal gates, and end up trying to get money to buy spells or weapons. We also never close a gate unless it can be sealed. We end up with a lot of monsters milling about, but we never reach the max horror index, and it never makes a big deal. by the time we seal 2 gates, it's obvious we're going to win, and from there on there's no thrill in the playout. We've never come remotely close to an old one awakening, or anyone getting lost/dieing.

Once more, if "it is too easy" is your problem, I suggest to try some of the dozens of house rules devised to handle this sort of issues. They can do wonders.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sven
Germany
Frankfurt am Main
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
We will move from victims to survivors and conquer as we go.
mbmb
You are sure you win, when *two* gates are sealed???? Without CotdP and Dunwich I usually was quite sure to win at four sealed gates, but two? (BTW, with the expansions, such certainty goes out the window. Just yesterday we lost a two player game with five sealed gated...)
And this, while only two players are active and the rest are just milling around??
I would humbly suggest to re-check the rules and have a look at the FAQ. Maybe you are overlooking something?
In any case, there are quite a lot of suggestions, how to make the game harder.

Generally speaking, if you only strive to win, this game is propably not for you. To like this game, you also have to enjoy having an encounter just to see what happens. Exploring Arkham is half the fun.
As you can guess, my experience with this game is quite different: We have lots of interaction and planning, have lost quite a few games (even though I will admit, that the basic game is a bit anticlimatic sometimes) and I haven´t yet met anybody who didn´t like it - but maybe it does´t work with every group.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R T
Portugal
LX
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to agree with Tanakor, it seems you are doing something wrong, if you are getting lots of monsters it’s because a lot of gates are open, and the limit of gates open are connected to the number of players, by your description I assume 4 to 6 players, maximum gates 7 to 6.
The victory conditions are complicated but it in your specific case can be resumed to all gates closed and the players owns gate trophies equals or greater than the number of players. The defeat conditions in your case are, no more tokens of monsters or gates or gate limit reached.
By experience, I started winning a lot and now losing a lot, as the rules start to be clear, even with helpers (yes, some locations have more chances, and as soon as you close it, better).
Some monsters even defeated will cause damage, great one several times has special abilities to is minions, clues doesn’t appear in portals areas, if you fight your movement ends, high fighting players have low will and get mad as they do terror checks (some of my mistakes, or forgets)…

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Peters
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
It's time to go Full Chort.
badge
‎"NO FATE BUT THE NARRATIVES WE IMPOSE ON LIFE'S RANDOM CHAOS TO DISTRACT OURSELVES FROM OUR EXISTENTIAL PLIGHT"
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, wow... I've played the game several times, and we've only had a really solid win once (last time we played we just managed to squeak out a win in the final confrontation with Hastur), and I'll agree that we've always felt like we're off to a good start once we get two gates sealed... but that's only one third of the total you need to win. I don't think we ever felt it was a sure thing until about 4 and we've realized that we've nailed all the most common locations for gates... then, yeah, things can get slow, but there are some house rules meant to alter that.

I just can't imagine a group picking this game up and finding it so easy from the very beginning as to be completely boring. I tended to assume that the opposite was more likely, that people might be too frustrated with it's difficulty level at first.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played AH once, 4 or 5 player. We won in a cakewalk. None of the monsters really hurt us much, (1 or 2 "deaths" the entire game), and geesh was it dull. I move through this gate this turn. Now on this turn I defeat the encounter. Now on this turn I move back to Arkham. Three times round the table to draw one card and roll dice once. Ugh. Never again...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morin
United States
Crown Point
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I understand the OP issue, we felt the same why for a short while. We ended up taking a different approach with our environment, we typically play at night, with only candles (and a flashlight to assist in reading some cards). We have an assortment of mp3's playing of midnight syndicate, and various halloweeny type sounds. We always try to play in character.

The issue of having specific characters being the core group is significant though. We do use several house rules to boost non-combat characters, and put them in the fight more. The characters that are not "active" and play the passive roles typically are core to the success due to getting inventory, money, items, and generally supporting the rest.

My $.02.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.