Jonathan Franklin
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
I've been looking at older games that are not Titanesque epics, but that have good flavor/theme and good gameplay relative to 21st century games.

Any comments of the following, or others I missed:

Sorceror's Cave
Mystic Wood
Dungeonquest
Heroquest/Adv. Heroquest

I like Prophecy and don't feel the need to get Talisman, but worry that the four games above are no longer 'good games' regardless of the nostalgic ratings.

Thanks for any thoughts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Hutnik
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Wizard's Quest is a good variant on Risk.

Orcs... RUMBLE!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Barnes
United States
Decatur
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
All of the games you listed are good to great- TIMELESS games- and should provide you with some good times...I'd definitely recommend Dungeonquest, it's very light and usually hilarious if you're a thick-skinned gamer who doesn't mind the possibility that you might die on the first turn! It packs a lot of atmosphere and theme into a very tight package and it's very solitaire-playable.

Have you tried Return of the Heroes? It's the other current fantasy game I'd recommend (along with Prophecy), it's much less...corpulent...than than the Runebound/World of Warcraft alternatives. The expansions are excellent and it really creates a great gaming world with easy rules and fun mechanics. It's more "Euro" than Prophecy though, less Talisman-y than folks would have you believe.

As an alternative to Heroquest, I'd suggest the Dungeons and Dragons boardgame that was never released in the US but usually not too hard to find. Unlike Descent, it isn't bloated and cumbersome yet it manages to get across a good, solid dungeon crawl with character advancement and "DM-ed" style play.

Then there's always Magic Realm...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

NT. Hong Kong
msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Heroquest/Advanced Heroquest
Typical dungeon crawling RPG and need to play with DM.

DungeonQuest
Advanced version of Drakon you may say. Lots of cards of monster, treasure, token, stuffs. You have to draw from different card type to see what happen. Fighting monster is not common, and even if you find them, most of them run! As the rules said, most of the time players just lose. It is a very rare case to win in this game. Because when the sun goes down(time/turn limit), player would be stay in the dungeon and the monster horde will come.
A very interesting classic dungeon game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Hunter
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
Stop the admins removing history from the Wargaming forum.
mbmbmbmbmb
blood bowl is a classic, not quite a dungeon crawl or talisman esque game though

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Franklin
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
We have RotH and the english expansion. I'd like both the German expansions. I like the occasional Runebound, but am looking for games less epic than Runebound. RotH + expansion (5x5 board) is about as much as I can handle in terms of time.

These 'collectible' older games can get expensive and I am not a collector, so I am just trying to avoid duds that people remember fondly, but have not played in years.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. Shanmugasundaram
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I acquired Sorcerer's Cave and Mystic Wood with high hopes, and couldn't get rid of them quickly enough after my first play.

Dungeonquest I enjoyed. I can't recall playing Heroquest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Haberberger
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's Magic Realm, I promised my daughters (10 and 5) that I'd start teaching them it in a few years.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Read the rulebook, plan for all contingencies, and…read the rulebook again.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GW and AH fantasy/adventure games that stand the test of time?

Just reinforcing what's been mentioned:

Magic Realm (AH) Difficult to learn/play
DungeonQuest (GW) Moderate
HeroQuest and expansions (GW) Easy

I think you have to be a pretty hard-core dungeon-crawler already to really appreciate Advanced HeroQuest and WarhammerQuest.

Otherwise, I'll also recommend Descent and its expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Franklin
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
Thanks for all the input.

Of the games mentioned, we are most interested in games that play well with 2-3 and don't have a DM, if that narrows it down.

In adition, while shiny bits are fine, we are looking more for immersion/experience than 20 dice/combat table/hit modifiers, etc.

On the other hand, I played Tales of the Arabian Nights last week and that was great for experience, but not much of a game. Ater four hours, I felt I should have spent the time reading the book (although I did get married and had bautiful kids).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Richardson
United States
Lindsborg
Kansas
flag msg tools
mb
rumble wrote:
I acquired Sorcerer's Cave and Mystic Wood with high hopes, and couldn't get rid of them quickly enough after my first play.

Mystic Wood was a big hit with my old gaming group... serious gamers who usually played ultra-complex games like Magic Realm and ASL. It's a lite "filler" game – experienced players can play a game in 30 minutes or less – but it is very evocative of its high fantasy theme.

It does have a large amount of luck, which I can imagine some people won't like.

Jonathan Franklin wrote:
Of the games mentioned, we are most interested in games that play well with 2-3 and don't have a DM, if that narrows it down.

Mystic Wood plays 2-4, no DM needed, and can be easily played by both children and adults.

Magic Realm plays 1-16, no DM needed, and is one of the best – and most immersive – fantasy games ever designed... but it is VERY complex.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.