Jayson Myers
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Please check out my other reviews at:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/145695/item/2728438#it...

Conclusion:

Reiner Knizia produces little abstracts that rely on math. With Expeditions, we get a themed game based on math. It is an odd match up, but it really works. This is unlikely to be anyone's favorite game of all time or even in the series of Star Trek board games.

The biggest detractor is the scoring system. You are trying to play the overall mission to score the best possible score. Some of the things might be out of your control, but with good planning you should be able to do pretty good. The game does have a challenge to it especially if you are trying to get the top score. The game does lack variety and really needs more missions and different things to do. An expansion could help this move in the right direction.

The game is still abstract, but you really feel like you are moving around and investigating things. It isn't on the same level as Fleet Captains, but I do enjoy this game. I likely enjoy this game more as a solo experience, but it can play pretty well with a group. It isn't something I would pull out all of the time, but if your group enjoys cooperative games and likes Star Trek, this is an obvious get to the table game.

The game has a little of everything: fighting with the Klingons, discovery things on planets, accomplishing missions, and using special abilities of the characters. This is a fun little game that you might not want to play enough to get the top score but want to play a few times just to win the game.

Keeper.

Components:

The components are good, but a mixed bag overall. Let's get this ot of the way. The cards are cheaply produced. They are paper thin. The art work is all stills from the game, which I like. The card quality is terrible.

The minis are nice enough and come prepainted. You get four characters from the movie and two ships (Enterprise and Klingon). These are all compatitible with Heroclix.

The tiles and chits are thick enough cardboard and I happy with their quality. I like the art work and the graphic design is good. The dice included are small, but they are custom (a little custom) so they are good enough.

Some of the components are really nice and over produced and others are way below what we would expect.

Rule Book:

The game is fairly easy really when boiled down, but the rule book complicates things a tad. The rule book goes through each action in detail which is fantastic, but the whole game is so math-y that the math is really want you need to understand. The rule book is 24 pages long, which after playing a couple of games is surprising.

The rules are in full color with plenty of pictures and examples. You really need a cheat sheet for the game. There is a long list of components (with pictures) and explanations as to how they work and interact. It is a good rule book, but longer than it needs to be.

Flow of the Game:

This isn't an easy to game to teach nor win. There are a few moving parts in the game and it really requires at least one player who knows the rules pretty well to prevent looking up rules in the rule book over and over.

This is a game about scoring points and seeing how "good" you did. You only score if you complete all three missions.

* I am not going to explain all the rules in the game but rather just the flow of the game so you can see how it plays.

------------------------------------------------------------------

At the start of the game, you choose the difficulty of the game. The event cards (called Stardate Cards) have different levels which make the game harder/easier.

Another note, each of the characters moving around the board utilize the "heroclix" base for tracking weapons, armor, life, etc.

Playing the Game:

1. Stardate - flip the card and do what it says -- it may do nothing, it may progress the time tracker, it may initiate a Klingon Attack, or a special event

2. Actions - each character (player) performs a number of action as stated on the Stardate Card:

** Each of the characters have special powers or abilities they are good at. You need to keep an eye on this to plan out your turn properly.

You have actions that can be performed only on the Enterprise and some on the planet:

Enterprise Actions:

A. Sickbay - roll a die and heal that number of clix
B. Attack - Move the Enterprise one space forward and attack the Klingons (this can affect your score)
C. Beam down to the planet - if there is a card, turn it over

Planet Actions:

D. Beam up to the Enterprise -
E. Move (on the surface) - Move to an adjacent spot - turn over a face down card if one is present
F. Make a Discovery - if a token is present, you may take it (these will help you accomplish your goals)

Either Enterprise or Planet:

G. Special Character Actions - each character has a different power
H. Draw an Energize Card - these will provide resources you will need and other crew members
I. Transfer Crew - If you share a space with another character, you may give them a crew card
J. Attempt a Challenge - You will face a number of these. They come in three different colors (Yellow, Blue, Red) and each color represents a different facet of the crew (Command, Science, Operations). Each character has a value for each color, you also use Discovery Tokens, Crew Cards and other cards to get a value to accomplish the goal. You also get a single die roll to add (to place a little luck in the game). If you do not pass it, you lose a clix. If you pass it, you get the reward granted on the card. These challenges progress the story line of the game.

------------------------------------------------------------------

The idea behind the game is you are trying to improve your ability to pass these challenges. As you defeat these challenges, the storyline of the game progresses. After you defeat all of the challenges, you get a score to see how good you did.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

There are other facets of the game. There are battles with the Klingons, there is discoveries you make, and challenges to over come.

Should I buy this game?:

I can recommend this for a few gamer types: huge fans of Star Trek, people who like Star Trek, people who have seen the new Star Trek movie, folks who like cooperative games and people who will play anything.

Expeditions will likely not have great replay value as the storyline doesn't change all that much. It needs an expansion badly that gives you more storylines. For others, I would suggest trying before you buy. The theme goes a long way with this game.

Keeper.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: The Purge: # 552 Star Trek: Expeditions: A cooperative game by Reiner Knizia with a theme
Good summary.

An additional mission would be so great. Or some alternate cards you could drop in as replacements.

The cards are very thin, but are plastic-y, not paper-y, so they feel durable (and don't show any signs of wear after a dozen plays).

I hate cylinders that roll away, so I replaced mine with octoboxes.

The "math" in this game is really just adding up single-digit numbers. In fact, it's mostly just adding up ones and twos, with a few threes thrown in. For every challenge, we end up re-adding up a series of numbers about 3-5 times, to make sure we got them right. It requires far less math skill than, say, Lost Cities.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: The Purge: # 552 Star Trek: Expeditions: A cooperative game by Reiner Knizia with a theme
william4192 wrote:

Expeditions will likely not have great replay value as the storyline doesn't change all that much. It needs an expansion badly that gives you more storylines.

The only real problem with this game, and it's too bad really since the game seems to have been designed with expansions in mind. The board is plenty generic to house any number of swappable cards. All Wizards needs to do is create a Card Pack and I'd buy it...

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jayson Myers
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
peakhope wrote:
Good summary.

An additional mission would be so great. Or some alternate cards you could drop in as replacements.

The cards are very thin, but are plastic-y, not paper-y, so they feel durable (and don't show any signs of wear after a dozen plays).

I hate cylinders that roll away, so I replaced mine with octoboxes.

The "math" in this game is really just adding up single-digit numbers. In fact, it's mostly just adding up ones and twos, with a few threes thrown in. For every challenge, we end up re-adding up a series of numbers about 3-5 times, to make sure we got them right. It requires far less math skill than, say, Lost Cities.

I felt the math is add this and that and then if I rolled a dice what are my chances? So maybe I'll use this card and now I have to roll? But if I waited and let Spock go and was able to give him this card, he would have to roll a...?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.