5 Posts

The Lord of the Rings Trading Card Game» Forums » General

Subject: What's the most cost effective way to start up? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Erik C
Canada
flag msg tools
I'd like to just play this game with our gaming group. I don't care much about collecting, just want to get everyone a deck and play, and get a few cards on the side so that people can customize.

Live in Canada (southern ontario) for shopping/shipping purposes. I've seen people on the forum here talk about $1 starter decks at their local stores, but I've never seen this.

Currently I'm looking at Hill's Wholesale Gaming where I can get
2x Fellowship Aragorn Deck 2x$3 = $6
2x Fellowship Gandalf Deck 2x$3 = $6
Fellowship 36 boosters $25
2x Mines Moria 36 boosters 2x$9=$18
Mines Moria Starter Box (12 dks) $15
Shipping $35
Total - about $100 with shipping

Does anyone know better options for getting set up on the cheap, or see any obvious flaws in my plan?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davi Rosa
Brazil
Brasília
DF
flag msg tools
badge
From the Dungeons and Dragons 80's cartoon. If only it was remade...
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like a good plan. But I would dump de mines of moria and get more fellowship booster packs. The cards are more well round.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik C
Canada
flag msg tools
gorondil wrote:
Looks like a good plan. But I would dump de mines of moria and get more fellowship booster packs. The cards are more well round.

Thank you for the advice. Looking at the card lists online, I'd be surprised if there's much in the boosters that won't already come in the starter box, so I dropped the moria booster boxes for another fellowship booster box. Total now ~$110 but I think there should be more variety.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Blanco
United States
Shelbyville
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You also might not want to get the MoM starter box. All 12 of the decks are exactly the same (well, there are two types, and 6 of each) besides the three random rares in each. So, those 36 rares might be worth the $15, but if you wanted to drop anything from the list to save money, that's what I'd cut.

Either way, this is a tremendously fun game, and I think you'll have a great time exploring the cards. If you like it, then invest a bit in the Realms of the Elf Lords cards and you'll have a lot of the Fellowship block cards, which was nicely self-contained and works well as within a play group (I enjoyed the Return of the King block the most when the game was active, but those cards aren't as cheap).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik C
Canada
flag msg tools
theotherring wrote:
You also might not want to get the MoM starter box. All 12 of the decks are exactly the same (well, there are two types, and 6 of each) besides the three random rares in each. So, those 36 rares might be worth the $15, but if you wanted to drop anything from the list to save money, that's what I'd cut.

Yeah, I realize those extra decks will be largely repeats. I only wanted 2x of each Fellowship/Mines starter, but the box costs only $3 more than buying individually to get 8 more decks. I decided it was worth it to stock up on copies of weapons and characters, plus 24 rares. So now if everyone in my group decides they want 3 hobbit swords or 3 Legolas, we're set.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.