Subject: Sarah vs Randolph's abilities rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
George
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
You can take my game… when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the board!
mbmbmbmbmb
I’ve been looking through the proofs posted on the kickstarter update and wow, I’m really excited for the story this game will create. This is such a cool and unique theme.

I had a question about how Sarah and Randolph’s abilities work.

Sarah: “When resting draw 1 card above Hand Size, then discard any 1 card to meet maximum Hand Size.”
Randolph: “You have a Hand Size of 8 rather than 7. You start the game with 8 cards and each time you Rest you draw back up to 8 cards.

Sarah’s ability seems the same as Randolph’s except 1 card worse… (or maybe Randolph’s is supposed to only be when Replenishing after an Adventure?)

And how would these abilities work with the “Draw 4 cards or 1 Grit Token” when Resting? Can you get the 1 Grit and still draw up to full hand size? Or do these abilities replace the draw 4 cards option?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Launius
United States
Johns Creek
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

I have not looked at these characters recently, but agree that the difference is slight and it may be considered that Randolph is stronger overall, but Sarah's ability is strong as well. While Randolph always draws 1 card over hand size to 8, he always keeps the cards drawn. Sarah can manipulate her hand by getting rid of a card she does not want and as a result will usually have a better hand although it is one card less, which means the next time she rests she will most likely build a slightly better hand each turn by discarding the worst card in her hand, so after a few turns has a stronger overall hand than Randolph.

As far as card draw when resting - they either take cards or Grit, not both. So, their power only applies when they draw cards, which would be most of the time.

Thanks for your interest - I too am very excited for this game to publish as the art and graphics are beautiful and I have always loved the story-telling aspect of building a legendary figure of the American Frontier (like Daniel Boone and Davy Crockett - two of my childhood heroes).

Richard
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for clarifying Richard!

I agree the game is looking beautiful. I find graphic design in games is too often neglected, but Dann May has done a beautiful job with this one. The theme for me also taps into a bit of childhood adventure and patriotism of a kind that isn’t around as much anymore. Really cool.

I’m going to suggest some rewording of these powers when I send in my other proofing notes. I’m hopefully taking into account that Hand Sizes can be changed/reduced during the game, and that sometimes these characters may want to do the usual draw 4 and discard down when resting because they are already at or near their hand size. Look ok?:

Sarah: “Instead of drawing 4 cards during Rest, you may choose to refill to your Hand Size +1 and then discard any 1 card to meet your Hand Size.”

Randolph: “You start with Hand Size +1 (8 cards). Instead of drawing 4 cards during Rest, you may choose to refill back up to your Hand Size.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another one:

Steven "Each time you win an Adventure with Fight as Trump you gain 1 extra Fame Token. Note: In group Adventures you must gain a Reward to gain this bonus Fame Token."

Nathaniel "Each time you win an Adventure, take 1 extra Happiness Token. This includes Group Adventures."

Do they have to win (score highest) or just succeed (not fail)?

(Maybe it might make sense for Nathaniel to need to win while Steven just needs to succeed as his is only triggered on Fight Trumps.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Taraba
United States
Lake in the Hills
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Richard Launius wrote:

I have not looked at these characters recently, but agree that the difference is slight and it may be considered that Randolph is stronger overall, but Sarah's ability is strong as well. While Randolph always draws 1 card over hand size to 8, he always keeps the cards drawn. Sarah can manipulate her hand by getting rid of a card she does not want and as a result will usually have a better hand although it is one card less, which means the next time she rests she will most likely build a slightly better hand each turn by discarding the worst card in her hand, so after a few turns has a stronger overall hand than Randolph.

As far as card draw when resting - they either take cards or Grit, not both. So, their power only applies when they draw cards, which would be most of the time.

Thanks for your interest - I too am very excited for this game to publish as the art and graphics are beautiful and I have always loved the story-telling aspect of building a legendary figure of the American Frontier (like Daniel Boone and Davy Crockett - two of my childhood heroes).

Richard

I've never played it so I don't know how the skill deck plays out and maybe Randolph is stuck with cards he can't be effective with or even play. But since the cards are burned to get adventure cards and VP, keeping more cards seems better than keeping the 7 best cards.

Also, it sounds like Sarah and Randolph would draw 2 cards if they rest while holding 6 cards (player boards say draw up to 8) but everyone else would draw up to 10 and then discard down to 7 (rules say draw 4 then discard down to hand size), is that correct? On the other end, at 1 card Sarah and Randolph draw 7 cards and everyone else draws 4.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dann May
Australia
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Hi! Pleased to meet you.
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it would be nice to keep it simple, so that Sarah's Rest options are the same as anyone else's.

Richard suggests:

Devout: Each time after performing a normal Rest action, Sarah may discard 1 - 4 cards and redraw those cards.

I think that works well. What do you think?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds good to me!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.