Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
(Barry) eldrbarry McWilliams
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmb
have found the winding scoreboard in Carcassonne to be rather cumbersome. Sometimes the meeples get knocked out of place or the wrong meeple gets moved, or you forget where you started counting as you are moving a meeple. Once you loose track of a player’s score there is no easy way to refigure it out. Here are some options I have thought of……..

1) Use a cribbage peg board system of keeping score where you leapfrog the pegs (or meeples) Of course most cribbage boards are for two players, though some are available with multiple tracks. A couple of boards with appropriately colored pegs might be useful.

2) Keep score on paper, writing down in two columns under the player’s name each time something is scored in one column and in the second column keep track of the cumulative score.

This could be further enhanced by adding notations after each entry of score:
C (size) for Cities scored
R (length) for Roads scored
( ) + for Cloisters started, filling in the bracket when it is scored.
F When a farmer is added. (no scoring) X them out if eaten by the
dragon of course.

Since a city’s score may easily be more than its size (Builders and Traders), and the roads also may score more than their length (Inns and Cathedrals) the added information can be helpful especially if using the King and Scout.

This can be adapted for the King/ Scout/ Labourer/ Mendicant Varient Rules quite handily. See http://www.naturelich.com/games/archives/2005/09/laborer_and...
For more on this variant.

The King Card goes to the player who to that point has built the largest city – easy determined from the notation. It will change hands when a larger city is built. And it is scored by the total number of completed cities of the end of the game. The scorekeeper will be able to count the “C’ s.

The Scout Card is given to the one with the Longest Road to that point and scored by the number of completed roads. It changes hands when a larger road is built. The scorekeeper can count the “R” s.

The Friar Card is given to the player who has most recently started a cloister. It is scored by the numbers of completed and of uncompleted cloisters. The completed cloisters will be indicated on the score sheet by the scores in the “( )” s and the Uncompleted cloisters will be those with no score in the “( )” s. Easy for the Scorekeeper to count up.

- eldrbarry

See my Carcassonne Page at http://www.eldrbarry.net/hatr/carclink.htm

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zach Toups
United States
Las Cruces
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally, I've never had a problem using the scoring track, though I can see how if someone messed up, it'd be really bad. If it helps any, I've taken to just moving the meeple through the ones digit, then going by tens after that. Seems to make it really simple to handle scoring. You could also print up an "unwound" scoring track...I've debated making one that's much much longer...when it's just my wife and I, 300+ points per game is not uncommon.
-Zach

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Searles
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I always use paper to score my games of Carcassonne. Mainly because the way I pack it up makes it impossible to cary the scoring track but also because it's fidly.

We simply keep one cumulative collumn for each players score. Pluse one collumn for the size of the King and one for the Robber. Works out pretty well and is an acceptable record of the game (if you're into that sort of thing.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.