Evolution» Forums » Rules

Subject: Horribly bad rules rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Fake Name
United States
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
The rules booklet is horrible! Just lazy, terrible, murky, lazy!

"Hungry" is a condition that is UNDEFINED IN THE RULES!

PRECISELY WHEN the cards MUST be shuffled is UNDEFINED.

Bland brown markers against a tan background of the species rack was a stupid decision, makes it much too difficult to see across the table where an opponents markers are sitting on the rack. I plan to spray paint my markers the flourescent color these should have been in the first place. For that matter, there should be one color for Body Size, and another color for Population Size.

VERY disappointed in this very expensive game. EVO was a thousand times better game, and is mysteriously out of print.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Der Einsielder
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bearcat22 wrote:

Bland brown markers against a tan background of the species rack was a stupid decision, makes it much too difficult to see across the table where an opponents markers are sitting on the rack. I plan to spray paint my markers the flourescent color these should have been in the first place. For that matter, there should be one color for Body Size, and another color for Population Size.

VERY disappointed in this very expensive game. EVO was a thousand times better game, and is mysteriously out of print.

You had a bad night... am I right?

Hungary is a country in Europe... what it has to do with the game -> use your brain.

Cards are shuffled b4 the game starts.

Disappointed -> May be think about playing memory or scrabble.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lutz Pietschker
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't feed the trolls… just look at the user name
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fake Name
United States
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
The only troll here is you, Hun. Privacy is not a crime.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fake Name
United States
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Einsielder, maybe in the nation that spawned the Nazis, your sort of comment is considered appropriate.

Try using YOUR brain, and take a look at the actual rules booklet.

"HUNGRY" is a term in the game, and is CAPITALIZED as such in the rules booklet, but that term/species status is NEVER DEFINED in the rules. That is sloppy, lazy, unacceptable, to put it mildly.

The rules state that the game is over when the cards need to be shuffled, yet the rules never state WHEN, HOW and WHY the rules need to be shuffled.

According to your smart-alec answer, the game would never be played, because it would end when it began, with card shuffling.

The bottom line is that the rules are sloppy and vague. The fact that you defend something like this makes you just as much of a creep as the designer, who replied to my questions by saying "Go play Candy Land".
Pricks like that deserve to die.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Der Einsielder
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was able to play the game without any problems.

And I didn't need a nanny to explain me when to shuffle cards or that "not fed completely" could mean "hungry".

But may be only the translator of the rules made a good job devil

I never forget a flaming user, but in your case I´ll be glad to make an exception. (Groucho Marx)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Ridge
United States
Martinez
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll bite.. don't make me regret it.

Quote:

Page 7 from the rules, under 2. Feeding Species. -- "A species is Hungry if it has less food than its population."

It's even capitalized in the rules just like you asked the question, surely you must have seen that rule if you read. You even pointed out the capitalization.

Quote:

Page 3 from the rules, under SET-UP, 5th bullet point down. -- "Shuffle the deck of Trait Cards and place it face down on the table

Quote:

Awesome to pimp out your own copy!

Quote:

I'm sorry you were disappointed, perhaps you could sell it on the marketplace and give it to a home that would enjoy it more?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Bowler
United States
Old Forge
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dan's response to your "Hungry" question should be sufficient (especially since it is directly from the rules).

As for the shuffling thing, yes, you shuffle the cards before you start the game. However, since you're drawing cards from the deck and discarding into another pile, eventually you will run out of cards. At this point it should be fairly obvious that if you are to draw more cards some action must be done. When there are no more cards available to be drawn and drawing cards is required, this would be a good point to shuffle. While this may not have been explicitly stated, the game developers expect people to use common sense. If you are unable to use common sense then this game (along with many other games, as well as life in general) will probably be a little difficult for you.

The markers... well, thematically it fits the game very nicely. If you feel like painting your markers, that's up to you. When I have found myself unable to tell the body size or population of another player's species (which doesn't happen very often... I have glasses that help with my vision for distance), I open my mouth and ask that player. My gaming group has found that talking while we're playing, regardless of if our discussion is about the game which we are playing, enhances the gaming experience.

It's too bad that you were so disappointed. You must truly have high expectations for components and clearly have many needs. I would guess that you lost while playing and decided to blame your misunderstanding of rules for your lack. Then, having decided that you weren't happy, began looking for anything else that would validate your displeasure. Clearly you have anger issues (labeling anyone who gives a certain response as being deserving of death). I'd agree that you'd probably be best served in selling the game to someone else who would enjoy it more, and I'd encourage you to consider utilizing any funds from that sale to seek professional help.

Finally, while I can appreciate your desire for privacy, you would probably be taken more seriously if you had just chosen a fake name instead of listing your name as "Fake Name." A couple common ones are John Doe and John Smith, but you could also see it as an opportunity to be creative and/or have fun.

Anyway, have a wonderful day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ariel
Chile
Vina del Mar
V. Region
flag msg tools
badge
constantly thinking on variants to create and implement
mbmbmbmbmb
bearcat22 wrote:

.OMG! What happen here?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
Forum rules reminder:

Please use the icon when you see disruptive or antagonistic comments or any other violations of the Community Rules. This serves two purposes:

1- using the icon will bring that post to the attention of forum moderators so they can deal with it appropriately. We prefer that you not respond to the post directly. Responding invites the offender to continue, and if you respond aggressively you may end up dragging yourself down with the offender.

2- if enough users flag a post using the icon then that post will be hidden from general view, preventing others from being exposed to it.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.