Subject: First game played - first rules questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Francesco xxx
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hi!

I finally had the chance to play a couple of games. Great game. I am not a fencer but I really had the feeling of a "real" match being played, so kudos to the creator.

I have a few questions about some rules.

- Skill on the fencer: when you play a skill card to activate the fencer skill, is it mandatory to do everything that is stated on the skill? Example: if I use the skill 1 on Serge, do I have to do step forward + lunge or can I decide to do only one thing, like only the lunge? (we ruled that you had to do everything)

- The card "beat/deflection" says to "Add 1 to the die roll". This applies only when you play a card that has a roll to make, I assume. (meaning: a regular attack does not involve any die, it is just that if the opponent does not block you scores. While a counter-attack, for example, requires a roll).

- It is not clear what you mean with "may be played any time".
Example: active player plays "move forward" and he is now in range for an attack. Can I use Serge Skill 2 to push back the opponent BEFORE the active player has the chance to play the attack card? (we ruled yes)

- Can counter attack be blocked? At the end, a counter attack is just an attack, so you should be able to block it with a block (we assumed yes).

- I don't know if it makes any sense, but we had the following situation: the fencer were in range for the attack. Active player plays a Basic attack card. Since he has the chance to play 2 cards per round, he would like to play a move back after the attack. But now the fencer is not in range for the attack! What happens here? Does the attack automatically miss? (we decided simply not to play the Move Back after the attack)

- Josef Skill 2 is: acts as any normal card. What is a normal card? We went by logic and assumed that the normal card the Parry, Lunge, Riposte, Step Forward because there is no Roll on those cards. However, it seems like also Step Back could be included in the normal cards, and also Feint, maybe.

Maybe the questions are a bit stupid in some cases but better ask and make sure

thanks a lot!

Konx

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Byrd
United States
Griffin
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Glad you have been enjoying the game. Thanks for the feedback. Good questions.

konx wrote:

- Skill on the fencer: when you play a skill card to activate the fencer skill, is it mandatory to do everything that is stated on the skill? Example: if I use the skill 1 on Serge, do I have to do step forward + lunge or can I decide to do only one thing, like only the lunge? (we ruled that you had to do everything)

The Skill can be just one part. The intent is that the Fencer has the skill to do both in one move, but they do not need to. I can add that clarity to the rules. Good point.

konx wrote:

- The card "beat/deflection" says to "Add 1 to the die roll". This
applies only when you play a card that has a roll to make, I assume. (meaning: a regular attack does not involve any die, it is just that if the opponent does not block you scores. While a counter-attack, for example, requires a roll).

Correct.

konx wrote:

- It is not clear what you mean with "may be played any time".
Example: active player plays "move forward" and he is now in range for an attack. Can I use Serge Skill 2 to push back the opponent BEFORE the active player has the chance to play the attack card? (we ruled yes)

"May be played at any time" means any time on your turn. It still requires you to play that card. So, you could use this Skill as your last card on the turn, then the opponent is out of range (unless they have Fleche, or another Skill that helps them). The idea here is that this Skill is an intimidation move that makes the opponent delay and need to rethink their plan. It is like a successful half-lunge in Fencing when used to stop an oncoming opponent to gain right of way.

konx wrote:

- Can counter attack be blocked? At the end, a counter attack is just an attack, so you should be able to block it with a block (we assumed yes).

Counter Attack has no block. It either hits, or misses. In Fencing, this is a risky and difficult move. It is basically trying to attack after your opponent already started their attack. In order to score, you must hit your opponent well before they hit you. Otherwise, their attack still has right of way. Technically, your opponent could block in real fencing, but it is very unlikely since they are already executing their own attack. The different rolls per weapon represent the different targets and rules.

konx wrote:

- I don't know if it makes any sense, but we had the following situation: the fencer were in range for the attack. Active player plays a Basic attack card. Since he has the chance to play 2 cards per round, he would like to play a move back after the attack. But now the fencer is not in range for the attack! What happens here? Does the attack automatically miss? (we decided simply not to play the Move Back after the attack)

Good question. In real Fencing, a Fencer can attack, then move back, hoping the attack lands. The Defender would still need to Block, but would now be out of range. I see no reason why this situation would not be allowed in the game.

konx wrote:

- Josef Skill 2 is: acts as any normal card. What is a normal card? We went by logic and assumed that the normal card the Parry, Lunge, Riposte, Step Forward because there is no Roll on those cards. However, it seems like also Step Back could be included in the normal cards, and also Feint, maybe.

I could make that a bit more clear. I probably should say "Acts as any other card". The intent was to give the option to do something when needed, but the card is not in hand. If playing the Basic version, then no cards with rolls would be in the deck anyway (but I do not see the Basic mode of play used often).

One other change I made was to use Lego Fencers for the figures!

Feel free to ask any other questions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.