Marc P
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Gloomhaven is a great niche game
mbmbmbmbmb
I played the Scotland board tonight, using the rules in the Zip file, and also using the Ostrander Action Selection variant, where the two actions taken by the players in one round cannot be used in the subsequent round. This is described as a good addition to the 2p variant on the Rust Belt map because it prevents players from just taking Loco or Engineer or Urbanize every turn. At the time, I was under the illusion that this variant was recommended for most or all 2p variants.

However, the Scotland map has the two possible ferry routes that each require two prior urbanizations to be functional. Since there would be, at most, 4 urbanizations using the Ostrander variant, this would make building ferry routes extremely difficult and likely unrewarding. But making the Urbanize available every round may make Action Selection easy and predictable.

Your thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dick Ruck
United Kingdom
Brighton
East Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
Crabro was my first own-design stunt kite, named after a genus of black and yellow stinging insect in the UK
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played the map twice without the variant using the authors rules, and had two excellent games. Give it a try!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierce Ostrander
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When I played Scotland I did NOT use the Ostrander variant, and I'm Ostrander! For exactly the reason you gave: there wouldn't be enough Urbanization to build both ferry routes.

Here are the rules for the Scotland map.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/322661

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.