Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eddie
United States
Belmont
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why does Borders of Bree-land say, in its shadow effect, "for each quest stage"? Is that an oversight to not have it have said quest card like the other cards say?

Especially now with side quest cards... I am in the first quest, stage 1B, and I have a side quest active. I am inclined to believe "Quest Stage" is referring to ONE - the main 1B stage (as we know there are other quests that sometimes have > 1 active).

Is that correct? They can't have made an oversight like not using "cards" if they didn't mean something different?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
black spark
msg tools
Borders of Bree-land: "Shadow: Defending character gets -1 Defense Strength for each quest stage in play."

My current understanding is that the severity of this effect depends on how many side quest cards are in the staging area. The main quest card and each side quest card in the staging area are considered to be "in play".

My current understanding is that each side quest card has a different quest stage on it, and these are different from the quest stage on the main quest card. So if there are 2 side quest cards in the staging area, there are 3 quest stages total in play (though, in the Combat Phase, the main quest would always be the current quest).

Perhaps consider The Battle of Five Armies (which has 3 different quest cards with 3 different stages in play simultaneously) and Foundations of Stone (which has up to 4 different quest cards in play simultaneously, representing the same stage).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie
United States
Belmont
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What you say is all coherent, as if "quest card" is effectively equal to "quest card" (your explanation is "a quest card has a quest stage".

I do appreciate the distinction using Foundations of Stone (arguing that "stage 4B" is shown on all cards, so it's just one stage?)... but you pointing that out makes me think that the definition of a stage is a card that has a Number/Letter pair on it? (and side quests do NOT).

I note that the word (quest) "Stage" appears ZERO times in the entire section of the Lost Realm description of Side Quests.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Fanchi
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's just a wording inconsistency. It happens sometimes. "Quest stage" is equivalent to "quest card."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie
United States
Belmont
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Official Answer: Quest Stage == Quest Card

Caleb by e-mail wrote:

you’re asking if there is a significant difference between the term ’quest stage’ vs ‘quest card’ and the answer is ’no.’ Those terms are used interchangeably. The number of quest stages in play is equal to the number of quest cards in play.

I was hoping there wouldn't be inconsistency within a single set (I understand how words from 2010 and 2015 could end up inconsistent).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.