Subject: How is the unofficial solo game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Travis Larsen

Lehi
Utah
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't own this game yet but am very interested in picking it up as it looks terrific. Obviously the game is meant to be played with two players head to head and I'm excited for that but I also see in the files section an unofficial set of rules to play this solo. Has anybody tried this out? Is it a fun way to play the game? Just curious on people's experiences with the solo rules. Thanks

Travis
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kain
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
I think it's important to give commendations to those that tried to give this game a solo breath. With that said, it's rough, it takes effort and at times it really feels a little like you're playing against yourself in literal way even if there are guidelines that force the AI to act a certain way. It also doesn't help that you build the AI deck, you won't be... surprised very often. It can also bit a little clumsy at times. However! I think much like the creator himself stated it, the Solo game he created was not meant to give you a massive challenge, but it is an awesome tool to test out your deck against an intelligent, albeit predictable, opponent.

If you truly want a solo game of this type, you'd probably be better off with LOTR LCG. (even though I prefer this due to thematic reasons, so I hear ya if that's your lean towards this game)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Larsen

Lehi
Utah
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the thoughts. And yes I already have everything for LOTR LCG. And it is an excellent game

Travis

Dark63 wrote:
I think it's important to give commendations to those that tried to give this game a solo breath. With that said, it's rough, it takes effort and at times it really feels a little like you're playing against yourself in literal way even if there are guidelines that force the AI to act a certain way. It also doesn't help that you build the AI deck, you won't be... surprised very often. It can also bit a little clumsy at times. However! I think much like the creator himself stated it, the Solo game he created was not meant to give you a massive challenge, but it is an awesome tool to test out your deck against an intelligent, albeit predictable, opponent.

If you truly want a solo game of this type, you'd probably be better off with LOTR LCG. (even though I prefer this due to thematic reasons, so I hear ya if that's your lean towards this game)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Alton
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
Paper 'Mech - winner 'Best Overall Design' in the 2016 1-page PNP Contest
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Travis,

When I created these solo rules they were never meant to replace the experience of playing against a live opponent, but were designed more as a means of gauging if your deck builds were viable.

When you're putting a deck together you really need to draw a few hands and play a few rounds with it to test if your strategies will work, or if they simply flop! These rules enable you to do so. As Andre says, the AI opponent is somewhat predictable, but that is often the nature of AI systems.

Now I've got many many more games under my belt against real people, I have more of an idea of what could work for solo play and I might one day alter these to create a more realistic challenge, but for now please treat these rules as a deck tester rather than a serious opponent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Kaiser
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Painted Goblin wrote:
...but for now please treat these rules as a deck tester rather than a serious opponent.

Not so shy! Your solo variant is really good I think! thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Alton
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
Paper 'Mech - winner 'Best Overall Design' in the 2016 1-page PNP Contest
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for your kind words, Andreas

I just wanted to make it clear that anyone wanting to use my rules to simulate a real game might be a bit disappointed, that's all
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Kaiser
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.