Subject: End movement at a street with a monster and an activity rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alex
Spain
Coruña
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I end my movement at a street area with a monster in it.

There's also an environment card in play that gives me a benefit when I end my movement in that precise street area.

May I choose the resolution order? I.e. Do the activity before engaging/evading the monster.

I've been looking for something in the rules about having to immediately fight a monster when the movement ends, but couldn't find any conclusive timing ruling.

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
why not provide all the information, you can always point to the Mythos on http://www.arkhamhorrorwki.com.

Generally I'd say that you can choose on timing issues, but actions are usually 'atomic' and a Monster 'encounter' ending your Movement would normally be regarded as part of Movement. There's some 'greyness' in that you get to decide sequence of Encounter with multiple Monsters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex
Spain
Coruña
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is the card:

http://www.arkhamhorrorwiki.com/Estate_Sale

"Investigators who end their movement in Uptown Streets".
There's a monster in Uptown Streets.
You're supposed to engage monsters if you end your movement, etc.

But I can't find any ruling that says that engaging the monster takes precedence over other actions that are also activated at the end of the movement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Unapologetic Continual Troublemaker!
mbmbmbmbmb
zosete wrote:
This is the card:

http://www.arkhamhorrorwiki.com/Estate_Sale

"Investigators who end their movement in Uptown Streets".
There's a monster in Uptown Streets.
You're supposed to engage monsters if you end your movement, etc.

But I can't find any ruling that says that engaging the monster takes precedence over other actions that are also activated at the end of the movement.

Thematically I would say that you would have to fight the monster in front of you before doing any shopping
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Pilkus
United States
South Riding
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Alex,

In response to your inquiry, given the information on the card, I would agree with the idea that you must resolve the situation (either Fight or Evade) the monster(s) before resolving the activity in the street.

Cheers,
Joe
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex
Spain
Coruña
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd tend to agree that the "deal with the monsters first and sort out your backpack later" it's a valid approach every time.

"Can you pipe down for a second while I check this hyeroglyphs and then have a word with that mysterious man in black? Bad zombie! Bad zombie!"

Anyway, this is my first run and I thought this situation would had been amply detected and discussed at BGG but I wasn't able to find it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Always a bit tricky when it's not certain whether they are using a keyword or not. For instance, here they could mean 'stopped moving', 'spent their movement points', or 'ended Phase II'. All of which are subtlety different. My general approach is to assume the use of a keyword unless it makes no sense, so here I assume the use of the Movement keyword, which is to say 'Phase II' and therefore 'after Combat'.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gert Meyer
Denmark
Trekantsområdet
flag msg tools
badge
Skål - Cheers - Gom Bui - Prost - Almien - Salut - Kampai - Na Zdrowie - Gan Bae - Qapla
mbmbmbmbmb
As a general (house) rule, I always deal with Mythos activity in the Arkham Encounters phase. Just seems to gel better mechanically with everything else going on in the game.

In any case, the Mythos end of movement effect is something that has been added on to the regular movement phase, so I would argue that you need to resolve that completely first (including possible combat/evasion).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Wiggins
United States
Kingwood
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Uh! It's this darn dice tower!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd vote monster first also.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matěj Jan Morávek
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We do precisely the same as Gert mentions - the events from Mythos cards take place during Arkham Encounter Phase, it makes sense mechanically and also thematically. And it clears up situations like the one you mentioned.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teeka
Netherlands
Naarden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've always assumed that dealing with monsters was a part of the whole 'process of movement': moving and/or fighting and/or evading.
So any card that says "end movement" would not be dealt with until after the entire 'process of movement' was done.

Edit: forgot the rather important word "...UNTIL after movement..."

gert74 wrote:
As a general (house) rule, I always deal with Mythos activity in the Arkham Encounters phase. Just seems to gel better mechanically with everything else going on in the game.

I would vote against this, because it limits trading.
Take this very card for example: you do all of your movement, dealing with any monsters. Then you visit the estate sale and buy a unique item. The next player gets their movement, travels past you, and you trade the item to them.
You can't do that if you deal with it in the encounter phase. This might have a significant impact (e.g. trading the Elder Sign I just bought to my buddy with Find Gate, who jumps into a gate right after moving past me).

(Also because of wording, the card doesn't say "during the Arkham Encounter phase, any investigator in Uptown Streets...")
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Hoffman
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You do have to deal with a monster before picking up any item or clue tokens.

Because this card deals with sale of items, I would say it still is part of the rule above.

So, Fight or Flee the monster(s), then go shopping.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jones
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I realize this not official, but my interpretation of rules has always been that combat is contained within the movement phase itself. So under that rule, encountering a monster is not the end of your movement even if you are out of movement points. Bear in mind that you can sneak and continue moving, so the decision to sneak or fight is not a choice that ends movement. As such, I would say that you have not "ended" your movement phase until you have chosen and resolved to sneak/fight the monster.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
davypi wrote:
I realize this not official, but my interpretation of rules has always been that combat is contained within the movement phase itself. So under that rule, encountering a monster is not the end of your movement even if you are out of movement points. Bear in mind that you can sneak and continue moving, so the decision to sneak or fight is not a choice that ends movement. As such, I would say that you have not "ended" your movement phase until you have chosen and resolved to sneak/fight the monster.
Indeed. As I pointed out several replies further up this page, there's a distinction between ending the action of moving and the end of the Movement Phase. As you say, movement-related Combat happens during Phase II: Movement and not in some (nonexistent) inter-phase action window. And it certainly doesn't happen during Phase III: Arkham Encounters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.