Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
KTG17
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Space Marine and it's sister game Adeptus Titanicus are pretty much the reason I even got into table top miniature wargaming. I had actually discovered "Space Marines" through an ad for Warhammer 40k in an issue of Dragon Magazine years ago, and without knowing anything about them, drew pictures of them everywhere I went.

Around the time that the 2nd edition of Epic Space Marine came out in 1991, I had bought a used copy of Space Marine and Adeptus Titanicus along with the Epic Bible, Codex Titanicus. To be honest it all was THE game I had waited all of my life for without even knowing it. It was an instant hit with my friends, and we played many many games while diving into the famous universe 40k is set in.

I've probably played this version of Epic more than any other game out there, so I know a lot about it. After four versions of Epic (this version, Epic Space Marine and Titan Legions, Epic 40k, and now Epic Armageddon) everyone had their favorite. Personally I think they all have their pros and cons, but there is something about Space Marine and Adeptus Titanicus has that the other don't or will ever. I guess it has more to do with the novelty of the game when it came out, and the fact that the 40k universe was still in its infancy, and well, the Horus Heresy is a phenominal storyline. Probably my favorite to appear in the 40k universe ever.

There is a tremendous amount of detail in Space Marine, which hurts the game as well as sets it apart from the rest. There is just about a rule for everything a infantry stand can do, and dozens of modifiers to take into account in fighting. In small games, like 1000-2000 point this can be managed, but I have played 5000-6000 point games in this system that literally took several nights to play out. I think out longest game lasted for 5 nights while playing 3-5 hours each night.

While not knowing any better, and having a lot more time back then than I do now, this didn't bother us too much. We all loved the detail and flavor and it took a long time for us to give us this system and move on to Epic Space Marine, which we detested to watering down and removing the detail from the previous system. However, the idea of playing new units and races such as the Tyranids was too much to bear and once we moved on to the new gaming system, we really never went back.

Even today, I will generally introduce new table-top gamers to Epic Space Marine/Titan Legions for its simplicity, versus any other Epic game. While I love the rich detail of the older game, it can really drag in large games and too many games these days excel at fast game mechanics. A decent sized game of Space Marine will chew up an entire Saturday.

That being said, if you are a big Epic fan and want to see how it all started, pic up what will likely be a used set off of Ebay. Or you can check out www.system17.com for a pretty detailed review. I highly doubt you'll get a gaming group to get into it. It is a great system to read up on one night, maybe paint up an old Space Marine Legion of the Death Guard in their white and red color schemes, and so on. Horus still stands as one of my favorite characters, and I still have my Sons of Horus army, with Horus leading the army from the hatch of a Land Raider.

Great, great game for its time, but in reality a product of its time. I don't think that if the game was released in its form today as it was then that it would do as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Do play Battlefleet Gothic at all?
I wonder if thats the case with BFG as well...

Seems like a great system, I have 3-4 fleets working. yet I havent played much.

Still I enjoyed your write up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Kendall
United States
Lebanon
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I still like the original rules. The inherent anti-tank capability of the standard Space Marine squad made simple infantry-armor actions interesting, especially in built-up areas. It would have been nice to have "ruinable" structures, but the buildings were nice--and sturdy.

The plethora of race and unit types that came with the later supplemental sprues made the stands look more interesting, but the cluttered rules that came with them muddied the original clean system. Granted, "large" battles took time, but "large" battles worked best with multiple players anyway.

There was always the temptation to build huge armies because they were small and relatively inexpensive, and probably quite a few of us went overboard. Nevertheless, the original game does indeed retain its appeal in play as a far more interesting system overall than its successors.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Brady
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
I'm awaiting my recently won Ebay copy of Space Marine...hopefully I'll see it fairly soon.

I d/led the 4.1 rules of NetEpic for grins, but the website has gone belly up by the looks of things, and the link to 5.0 is broken. Has any played using their rules?

I have taken a fairly big plunge into 6mm gaming recently...in addition to Space Marines, I bought a bunch of Microarmor. I was in the process of painting some stuff for a Warhammer Fantasy army, but the thought of having to paint another 50 or so minis (along with the cost) has turned me off of that. I could probably paint the entire slew of Microarmor that I bought in a weekend, and have it look halfway decent.

I still have some army cards and stuff left over from when I originally bought Space Marines a decade ago, but I can't find any of the actual units, so I've added a few small eBay purchases to round out what comes in the game. My room mate is into 40k, and said he'd be happy to try out Space Marines when I get it, so at least I have an in house opponent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Ramos
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Hi!

The Epicentre (home of the netepic rules) was down for a couple of weeks due to hackers.

The site has been functional for quite a while since then.

www.netepic.org

Primarch
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Piero
Italy
Florence
flag msg tools
Life and death come and go like marionettes dancing on a table. Once their strings are cut, they easily crumble.
badge
What we see now is like a dim image in a mirror. Then we shall see face to face.
mbmbmbmbmb
Both www.system17.com and www.netepic.org are broken links!
cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
a c
msg tools
mbmb
try www.tacticalwargames.net for all things epic :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Plymale
United States
Huddleston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Back in the day there was a box that actually had 600 of these miniatures in it, 150 for each of 4 factions and it sold for USD 18. Can you imagine such a thing today?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Yarborough
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
KTG17 wrote:

I've probably played this version of Epic more than any other game out there

Me too. Back when I was a teen and would play all weekend long...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.