Victory in Europe» Forums » Rules

Subject: Moving between zones and cities. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mattias B
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If I'm standing in a city and want to move to the nearby zone does that cost me a move action or is the city and the zone the same thing (seems strange if that's the case)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Dworkin
United States
Montpelier
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The key concept is that each area is all "one place"....the multiples names of cities, ports, and resources within an area are simply attributes of that single area. You could eliminate all the names of places within each area and have no effect on the game, as long as you still described the overall area as having or not having a port, having or not having a naval base, having or not having a city of x population, having or not having resources of y level, etc, etc.

In other words, one movement point per area, regardless of what's in the area.

The only two exceptions that I know of to this are that:
1) Ocean areas, take two movements points, unlike sea zone areas which take only one and that
2) the Urals are essentially an off-map area reachable only by strategic movement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Rice
Scotland
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As Mike says, the map is divided into "areas". Areas may contain cities, ports or other features, but it is the areas which are occupied not the features.

Having said that, certain features, like ports or naval bases may alter what can occupy the relevant area, but bear in mind it is an area control game. If you control the area, you control the features.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin Savatt
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
I was initially very confused about this myself. As the force pool lists the Russian Fortress starting in Sevastopol. Which at the time I didn't yet understand.

However, I recognized areas like Scappa Flow and Gibraltar have the large Naval Base symbol, meaning they are an area, that is a naval base. While Sevastopol is a naval base in an area. The size of the naval base symbol is what helped me understand the difference.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mattias B
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the replies! So that means that taking the zone of Moscow means the city has fallen? That simplifies thing a whole lot, especially when it comes to map size which is very small if one is distinguish between different cities in an area that in itself is very small.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin Savatt
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Yup, control of an area includes everything within the borders of that area.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.