Popular Tags: [View All]
KK Su
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When word of BattleLore first came out, I was pretty hyped up about it. A wargame with a fantasy theme? Yessiree, sign me up on the waiting list at my FLGS ASAP!

A couple of weeks later, I began to have my doubts. I'd not played any of Richard Borg's games, although I had heard glowing reports about the C&C system. What really made me worried was the fact that these games were "two player" games. Yeah, yeah, spare me the details about team play; when you're married with kids, most "two player" games will be played with your spouse. The problem was, my wife Cynthia wasn't into wargames. With games like Puerto Rico, Caylus, and Settlers topping her list of preferred games, I'd classify her as a Light-Medium Eurogamer. So would I be able to get much play out of BattleLore with her?

On the other hand, I really didn't want to pull out and lose my place in the waiting list for what might be the biggest board game hit to-date, and so for a while I agonised over what to do. Finally, I formulated a simple 3-step plan:

1. Borrow Memoir'44 from someone.
2. Get wife addicted to M44.
3. Buy BattleLore.

If M44 was as good as everyone said it was, I should be able to get Cynthia hooked. The friend who lent me M44 suggested one small ammendment to Step 2 - Get wife addicted to M44 by letting her win.

So one Sunday afternoon, Cynthia and I setup "Scenario I: Pegasus Bridge" and started to play M44. Cynthia played "Allies" while I played the Germans. To our delight, the game went quickly, the command cards were easy to understand, and the die rolls were very exciting. I lost the outer bridge, and my 2 troops in that area, and it was a matter of time before Cynthia breached the wire defences, called in an "Air Strike" on my remaining troops and went on a full assault to claim her 4th medal for a 4-2 win. After the game, Cynthia mentioned that although she wasn't into the WW2 theme, she wouldn't mind if there was a similar game with a sci-fi or fantasy theme.

Ka-ching! I mentally gave myself a pat on the back. I told her about BattleLore, and she wanted to see some pics of it.

By Sunday evening, I was still buzzed over our first game of M44. I had re-read the rules carefully, and various strategies had crystalised in my head. I really wanted to try another game, so after we put our daughter to bed, we set up for a second game of M44. This time, we played Scenario II, with me still as Germans, and Cynthia as Allies.

Being a cautious player, Cynthia air-dropped her troops right into the middle of the board, getting all four of her para-trooper units into play. Seeing that I had a tank unit, I decided to get it out as soon as possible to hunt down any troops left in the open. My own german troops were moved into the cover of the forest.

A brief fire-fight started up on the Allied left flank, which ended up with her Allied troops holed up in the town exchanging single die pot shots with my german troops hiding in the forest two spaces away. Over the course of several turns, my german troops managed to snipe all Allied units in town, thus earning my first medal. Towards the Allied right flank, I had managed to get my tank out, and it devastated an Allied troop unit while taking a single loss itself. Cynthia backed her Allied troops away into a nearby forest and town.

By this time, I had picked up 3 "Attack centre" cards, so I decided to move as many troops as I can towards the centre of the board, positioning for a major assault. I ordered the tank to cut through the forest to get to the centre (thought that it was the safer path) But then, my wife attacked on the right flank and was badly beaten back. Her remaining troop fled towards her end of the board, and seizing the opportunity, my tank burst out of the forest in hot pursuit like a savage wolf running down a wounded deer. The troops didn't stand a chance. During her turn, Cynthia managed to destroy the tank with another bunch of troops, but by now, the score was Axis 3 - Allies 1. It was a simple matter for me to push all out all my troops and wipe out her units, giving me my 4th medal and winning the game.

I was elated, but my victory glee was quickly extinguished with one glance at my wife's black look.

Uh oh. Maybe totally crushing her in the 2nd game wasn't such a good idea after all.

I waited several days before broaching the subject again by showing her pictures of BattleLore from BGG. She looked interested, but was reluctant to play M44 again. Oh well, at least I didn't completely stuff up the plan.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean-Claude Ranise
France
Croix
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Your friend was totally right let her win...

This is also my main goal to drive mine into War Game and Gaming in general.

But is so hard to play to loose. This is a very hard excercise, but result may be so cool, make war with your love is so sweet. We need to be focus on our real goal get her hooked to play more and more.
As a man we have to fight agaisnt our willing to survive in the game. It is a very good exercice but I can't... blush

I think in the woman mentality, she must feels superior for some time, if she is able to win us at wargame. John Grey, the man who wrote Mars and Venus best sellers, will agree with it.

I will try again next time....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Universal Head
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
Professional creative visual communication: www.universalhead.com
badge
Game summaries and reference sheets: www.headlesshollow.com
mbmbmbmbmb
'Letting' her win! Ha! That's what I tell myself I'm doing ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Prizzi
United States
West Newton
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
This reminded me of how I once summed up my wife's tastes in boardgames:

She likes game with enough luck, that when she loses she can blame the cards, dice, etc....BUT, they have to have enough strategy that when she wins it could only be beacuse she's smarter than I am.

When, I ran that by my wife she said "Yep, that's about right."

And yes, she has played through all of the scenarios in both Battle Cry and Memoir '44 and enjoyed them. I think those games fit the above description to a t. We won't be getting Battlelore though, 2 command and colors games is enough for me.

So far my biggest wargaming success with her has been War of the Ring. If you go down that path- make sure you are well versed with the rules before attempting to introduce the game to your wife, and make sure she knows the first game will be a learning experience. She was the shadow player and got to spend the whole game slaughtering my forces, plus she won. I do not let her win though. I draw the line there. A man has to have some gaming pride.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
KK Su
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
UniversalHead wrote:
'Letting' her win! Ha! That's what I tell myself I'm doing ...

Mind you, my wife Cynthia still remains undefeated in Caylus. No matter what I try, she still manages to come out ahead. She says that it's probably because women are better in multi-tasking than men

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim W
United States
wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If your wife starts to become shy blush of the Memoir or BattleLore try Ticket to Ride. My wife loves it, especially since she wins twice as much as she loses and loves the travel theme. Possibly you can compromise to play one game of Ticket to Ride for one game of Memoir or BattleLore.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.