Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: BSW [+] [View All]
mrbass
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I learn Tichu yesterday face to face (thanks Andy, Alex, and Mark) and we play one full game. I have a semi-handle on most things and I'll get strategy slowly but surely.

So I go play on BSW and it is slow...thanks to the famous Brad Oliver (he works for www.aspyr.com who ports Sim 2, Call of Duty 2, Civilization IV, etc. to the Mac platform) who figured out that BSW programmers don't know much about Macs and his tip solved my problem for java on intel macs. I'd say it speeds it up about 500%.
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/1168677#1168677

Make sure you click the UPPER LEFT CORNER of the card to select it....otherwise you'll click like a mad monkey like I did.

My interest was peaked as I always read Steve's (housefullofgames.com owner) blog and he wrote two great tichu articles. My tichu copy I can't read the rules it came with as I don't have a magnifying glass handy.
http://hfog.blogspot.com/2006/04/tichu-part-1-rules.html
http://hfog.blogspot.com/2006/04/tichu-part-2-strategy.html

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
My notification for this article told me its title was "news flash...most hostile game ever on BSW" - I see it's changed. But my curiosity is piqued. Was the hostility a result of your delays and struggles to find the happy-clicky corner of the cards, or was there something gameplay-related?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mrbass
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
yeah initially that was the title of my post and it was about 3 times as long. Bunch of complaining about hostile opponents, etc. Anyway I decided who cares. Probably about 33% of the games your going to find hostile opponents if your just learning and can't play extremely quickly. After about 15 games I'm no expert but I don't hesitate for a moment at all and don't have to look at the Tichu Player Aid any longer.

To answer your question it was a combination of both..but mostly being a newbie.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien Browne
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have only just recently learned Tichu - and I did so on BSW.
I found the process completely painless.

One person let me '/peek' when he was playing, and explained the rules to me as he played.

Each time I saw a new opening card combo, he explained why it was legal (consecutive pairs, full house, straight, bomb, etc) and that was it.

I don't yet know what makes great scores, but otherwise I'm pretty much up to speed.

'/peek' is a great teaching aid, if you get a chance to watch someone play beforehand.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
That's only the half of it. Getting to /peek while a veteran plays is a great introduction, but a great next step is for you to play a hand and have the non-playing veteran /peek you. Then said veteran can send you private feedback on your play (pointing out mistakes or cases where he/she would have played differently, and why).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Schmit
United States
Menomonee Falls
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, don't forget you can find some other BGGers on BSW if you join channel #BoardGameGeek

Just issue the command

/channel BoardGameGeek

in the main window. (Case sensitive!) I'm sure at least some of us are willing to do learning games of Tichu or other things on BSW.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.