Popular Tags: [View All]
Ava Jarvis
United States
Bainbridge Island
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay. I'm getting pretty annoyed with spam. Fortunately my internet provider has a very good blacklist/greylist and SpamAssassin to boot. Unfortunately the web interface for mail from my internet provider, well, is crud.

(I do pull my mail down into sane mail clients, but very often I do not have this access when I'm out and about.)

I do like the GMail interface. But I am wondering; what's the the spam blocking like? I'd forwards my current mail over to GMail, but my provider says they'll drop spam filtering in that case (okay....).

Many gthanks for your opinions and experiences, good or bad.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott A. Reed
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I use GMail and I'd say their spam filtering is 98% accurate. Only on the rare occasion does one slip past the filters and end up in my inbox, and I don't believe I've ever seen a legitimate piece of mail in my spam box.

Been using Gmail for 1.5 years.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M C
Canada
Lethbridge
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Game group needed...
mbmbmbmbmb
I've found their spam filter to work flawlessly so far. I've never had spam come to my inbox and have never lost a legitimate email either.

The Gmail search function is hard to beat also.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JessA
United States
Southwestern
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
That's MRS. McFoxFace to you!
mbmbmbmbmb
I get about one spam a week in my gmail account. No complaints here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
At the moment I get about 200 pieces of spam mail a day through gmail. Maybe one of those a week creeps into my inbox, the rest goes straight to the spam bin. I think it's the BEST spam filtering email I've even had. And I have a bunch.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Millersville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree. I havn't seen any better spam filtering program than the one gmail uses. I had a few strange spam messages get through the first few times I saw that style but after telling gmail that they were spam they all go directly to that folder now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Karp
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
admin
Developin' Developin" Developin!!
badge
100 geekgold for OverText, and all I got was this stupid sentence.
mbmbmb
Yup, an excellent spam filter. a couple pieces a week sneak by at most. Everything else is caught by the filter. I think I may have had legit email caught once or twice at most, but I think those were mass mailing, probably ads on mailing lists I had signed up for.

-Daniel

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon W.
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
I use Yahoo and I can't recall ever having a spam mail (2+ years). I have had legitmate mail get thrown in the spam box, but it notified me just in case.

My work account on the other hand is total crap. We use the "pray Microsoft Office has up to date filters" strategy. Of course it doesn't, so I get 300 spam mails A DAY, 90 of which make it into the inbox.

Awesome, IT guys.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ava Jarvis
United States
Bainbridge Island
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the input, guys!

I've started forwarding my mail to my main gmail account. So far, so good; it's already doing better than my ISP's filtering, which I thought was decent at 2 spam per day!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.