Star Realms» Forums » Rules

Subject: Scrapping rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Manu
China
flag msg tools
mbmb
Is there a difference in the game between "may scrap" and "scrap"? In other words, unless it is clearly stated that you MAY scrap a card, do you HAVE TO scrap it?

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGS
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Warhammer: Diskwars
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gillum the Stoor
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
M7N6L wrote:
Is there a difference in the game between "may scrap" and "scrap"? In other words, unless it is clearly stated that you MAY scrap a card, do you HAVE TO scrap it?

I believe that the abilities that say "scrap" are base abilities, which are optional and may be used at any time. In contract, ships' primary abilities say "may scrap" because they must be used when the ship is played.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGS
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Warhammer: Diskwars
mbmbmbmbmb
gillum wrote:
M7N6L wrote:

I believe that the abilities that say "scrap" are base abilities, which are optional and may be used at any time. In contract, ships' primary abilities say "may scrap" because they must be used when the ship is played.

The edge case being the Machine World Base in which case, you must scrap a card if you choose to draw one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gillum the Stoor
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ronaldo wrote:
gillum wrote:
M7N6L wrote:

The edge case being the Machine World in which case, you must scrap a card if you choose to draw one.

Right. Machine Base's ability is "Draw a card, then scrap a card from your hand."

You need not use this power at all. But, if you do, you must do it entirely - draw, then scrap.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manu
China
flag msg tools
mbmb
gillum wrote:
M7N6L wrote:

Does "may scrap" in this case mean that if i choose to play the card i must scrap, but don't have to if i don't play the card?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gillum the Stoor
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
M7N6L wrote:
gillum wrote:
M7N6L wrote:

Does "may scrap" in this case mean that if i choose to play the card i must scrap, but don't have to if i don't play the card?

If a ship's primary (or ally) ability says "may scrap," it means that, if you play the ship (or activate its ally ability), you may choose to scrap another card.

If you don't play the card, you may not use any of its abilities.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Newton
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
M7N6L wrote:
gillum wrote:
M7N6L wrote:

No, it means the opposite. You play it and then get to chose if you only want the ship resources (trade or combat) or the ship resources and scrap.

If a ship did not say "may", it would work as you said: either scrap a card or don't play the ship.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.