Hide
22 Posts

Stargate Trading Card Game» Forums » General

Subject: Online play through OCTGN rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
brine octgn
msg tools
hey all, I'm a plugin developer for OCTGN. For those who may not have heard of it, it is an open online card game engine that lets players play various card games online (www.octgn.net).

The Stargate TCG was a personal favorite of mine, and I have been working on an OCTGN plugin of the game as a sort of pet project. It features a full rules-enforced engine, backed by a powerful Python scripting language and API built into OCTGN. Here is a work-in-progress screenshot of what I have accomplished so far:

As of now the game is in a "demo" development state, and is currently "playable" (but is probably riddled with bugs). It currently supports all cards available in the four SG-1 starter decks, which you will also be able to play with. You can play the decks as-is, or build your own decks from the limited card-pool.

HOW TO INSTALL:
1) Install OCTGN -- http://www.octgn.net
2) In the "Games Manager" tab, click "Add New Feed"
3) In the popup window, add "https://www.myget.org/f/stargatetcg" in the URL box. Call it "Stargate TCG"
4) Go back to the Games Manager, select the Stargate TCG feed from the drop-down menu (it defaults to Official Feed)
5) Click the Stargate TCG item in the list of games that appears, and click the green "INSTALL" button

LINKS:
- Github (Source Code) for the project: https://github.com/brine/Stargate-TCG-OCTGN
- README file on how to play the game, etc: https://github.com/brine/Stargate-TCG-OCTGN/blob/master/READ...
- OCTGN IRC Channel, probably the easiest way to contact me (username -- brine): irc.freenode.net #octgn
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bate
United Kingdom
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I loved playing the original online game until SOE pulled the plug when the licence went pearshape. Spent way too much on those darned virtual cards. This looks worth checking out. Thanks for the heads up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brine octgn
msg tools
I've set up a feed for the game, to access it add a new feed in OCTGN with the url https://www.myget.org/f/stargatetcg (don't click this link, copy-paste it into octgn's feed manager instead.

(for better info on how to install games on OCTGN, see the guide here, but replace the URL with the one linked above. http://www.octgngames.com/installing-games/)

The game has not been tested fully and there may be bugs. Only the cards from the four starter decks are available, but they are fully scripted. It comes with the image files pre-bundled as well as the 4 starter deck files, but you can make custom decks from that card pool as well.

I don't have documentation set up yet for how to play the game, but most actions should be found either by right-clicking a card or double-clicking it.

One big TO-DO I have still is to design a better game board, as the current one does not make optimal use of screen space.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bate
United Kingdom
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
brine_octgn wrote:
One big TO-DO I have still is to design a better game board, as the current one does not make optimal use of screen space.

Would it be worth looking at the old SOE version for some pointers? There are a few short gameplay videos and screenshots that may help or not. But I doubt that OCTGN can throw the cards about in quite the same dynamic way of moving the focus on the screen centre between players actions.

I think I'll have to pull out the rules and check what is needed before adding anything else and checking out what you've done so far too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brine octgn
msg tools
Is there still an installer floating around somewhere for the SOE online client? If someone has it installed on their computer as well, then an uploaded ZIP of the folder would be super helpful too as I would love to extract some of the art assets from it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bate
United Kingdom
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I doubt software would run without the server side databases running. I'm sure the graphics were well hidden. It was the same engine they used for the Star Wars Galaxies card game. I never found any art files that were accessible or compressed into one big file.

https://archive.org/details/StargateTCG

Other resources

http://www.tradecardsonline.com/im/selectCard/game_id/57

http://ccggamez.com/index.php?opcja=gra&idgry=135

http://ccggamez.com/index.php?opcja=download&idgry=135

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brine octgn
msg tools
ah bummer, yea the install files for the program aren't of any use. I was hoping I could decompile or extract the image assets, but no luck.

I do want to do some work on creating template files for the cards so we can get some higher-resolution images available. It would have been nice if we could extract the artworks/screenshots from the cards, I really don't want to have to go through the series and locate each of the scenes

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bate
United Kingdom
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the card images may have been downloaded to the users system as needed and were stored ready for use with the odd new card downloading if they appeared in the opponents deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brine octgn
msg tools
the tutorial mode in the game has full access to the images and card data so I would have to assume that the install directory has the complete game's worth of images pre-bundled. It wouldn't make a lot of sense to only include those cards, but then again this is SOE we're talking about.

If someone is ever able to hack the program and extract the original arts and template images from the program, those would be a HUGE boost to this project. I'm still pretty confident that the card images were being generated from template files.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brine octgn
msg tools
A quick status update, I've been working on optimizing the game board a little better, so the cards will be larger and more readable in-play. Once that's done I'll send an update out through the game feed for those who have installed it already.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth Swim
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mb
well i just checked (had to backup my computer back then due to computer's hard drive failing back then (Computer was old, lol) so i just loaded that stuff from back then onto new computer)

appears that on the old soe program the collection list, deck builder and tutorial's work

issue with deckbuilder and collection is that it shows you have no cards, but you can still look at every card in game, and your old deck lists, but given that the online server is down it doesn't show you owning any cards as that was saved on the other end.

you sadly can't play against the computer outside of the tutorial though because you can't get past the login screen, so no go there

but yes some aspects of the program still work

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Brooks

Texas
msg tools
I just found this thread, it would be awesome to play this game again. I still have some of the paper cards somewhere, but of course haven't played since the game went offline.

I think I remember playing with you a few times TheFlash4.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brine octgn
msg tools
hey, thanks for the interest. I've been on break from developing the plugin but I plan on continuing it again soon.

@TheFlash4: How are the digital images of the cards in the client? I may need to generate new images for the cards I have in the plugin (some of them are pretty small and hard to read).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gate Fan

Washington
msg tools
A few years back, I created a simple Solitare Octgn 2.0 Game module for Stargate, drag and drop no scripts other than the limited/booster packs capability. Basically a deck tester. I was happy when I saw Brinelol began work producing Stargate TCG for everyone.

If there is still interest in Stargate TCG below is a link to my Magic Set Editor 2 files that I put together that can be used to create custom cards. There are two sets of folders, one for regular deck cards (SG), the other for mission cards (SGM). The images are from regular size screenshots from the original Stargate Tcg Online game (still works on my computer).

SG (Team, Support, Gear ... etc)
SGM (Culture, Science, Combat, Ingenuity Missions)

In both Type the following to input the skill/glyph images into the cardtext.

CUL, COM, SCI, ING, PIS, GEM, LIB, TRI, ORI, SCO

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B-A1B9lYmT5bZ1pfclQ2Tm96WG...

Stoicgamer
Enter the gate!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bate
United Kingdom
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, anything that can keep old CCGs alive in some form is very welcome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brine octgn
msg tools
hey, these are great! Would love to use these as proxy templates for the OCTGN plugin!

I haven't really done a lot of work on the plugin since my last post here. I've taken on more of a developer role for OCTGN itself and haven't had as much time to work on the games themselves lately. I do still plan on getting it finished though.

I believe the current plugin version I have up on the feed in the original post is still functional, but it currently only has the starter deck cards implemented.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Osborne
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
This is super cool. Has any more work been done on it? I loved the game back in the day, I was one of the lucky few on the beta for the online game. Would love to play it again!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brine octgn
msg tools
I took a hiatus on working on this, as I got more involved with developing the core OCTGN program. I do plan on coming back to it to finish the first set, when my plate is more empty.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roman Sandal
Australia
flag msg tools
Awesome job mate, really looking forward to following your progress.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brine octgn
msg tools
hey sorry I didn't see your post earlier. I don't usually browse boardgamegeek unless something points me to it, so I tend to miss the posts or PMs in here.

Long story short, I took a pause on the plugin and took a more active role in OCTGN's core development. Alongside my current commitments to the active game plugins I code for, I don't have a lot of spare time for projects like this.

I do intend on coming back to it, with fresh eyes and programming experience needed to code a full rules enforcement engine. Unsure of when I'll get back to it though, to be honest. Plus I've helped add a ton of exciting features into OCTGN which will vastly improve this game's scripting and gameplay experience.

The best bet for updates is to follow the github repo for the game that I posted earlier. Feel free to use the issue tracker if you want to get a hold of me -- I won't mind if its not an actual issue ticket
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bate
United Kingdom
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the update Brine.

Glad to see OCTGN is still getting the love and support. Lackey has sort of fallen by the wayside with Trevor's RL commitments taking priority.

I'll be looking forward to any updates to SGCCG you may able to do in the future.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roman Sandal
Australia
flag msg tools
Any updates on the progress of this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls