Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Derek Croxton
United States
Charlottesville
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Does this ability (which exists on several cards) allow the user to battle the same unit if it was not removed because of a response card? My gut would be no, because the rules specify "another unit," but not clear on designers intention.

Derek

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The response cards that prevent a unit from being removed say something like, "Do not remove the unit this turn." That means there is no circumstance in which that unit is going to be removed from the board.
You could battle it a second time, but that second battle will be as ineffective as the first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Chick
United States
Tujunga
California
flag msg tools
badge
That's a good point, but I would argue that Derek already has it right when he points out the language about "another unit". That, to me, would prohibit battling the same unit, regardless of whether it could be removed.

-Tom
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Brody
United States
Woodstock
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My intention is that you can battle the same piece twice, but it's usually a waste of time - but not always.

One example that comes to mind is Surprise Attack vs Radar

Just for the record, there are no cards that use the word "another".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blair
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
IanBrody wrote:
My intention is that you can battle the same piece twice, but it's usually a waste of time - but not always.

One example that comes to mind is Surprise Attack vs Radar

Just for the record, there are no cards that use the word "another".

Yup, AFAIK the word is "additional":

Frontal Assault: Use when you battle a land space. Once per turn you may discard 2 cards from your hand and battle an additional Army in the same or an adjacent space.

Makes sense to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Chick
United States
Tujunga
California
flag msg tools
badge
I'm not trying to be dense here, but what's the distinction between another or additional? We've interpreted -- apparently incorrectly -- the card to mean you can't battle the same unit twice.

-Tom

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Croxton
United States
Charlottesville
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the quick reply!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blair
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TomChick wrote:
I'm not trying to be dense here, but what's the distinction between another or additional? We've interpreted -- apparently incorrectly -- the card to mean you can't battle the same unit twice.

-Tom

I think it would probably just make more sense if you think of it as an additional battle which could be against the same unit or a different unit/space.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Chick
United States
Tujunga
California
flag msg tools
badge
"Additional battle" makes perfect sense, but that's not what the card says. Dive Bombers reads "battle an additional army". Ian implied that because it doesn't say "battle another army", it means you can battle the same army a second time. But I don't see how that follows.

I get that the intent of the card is that, say, it can still take Ukraine if Russia plays the Stalingrad response. I'm just curious how the grammar of "additional" means something different than "another".

Because when the issue has come up for us -- and it's come up more than once -- we've reasoned that "additional army" means an army other than the one originally battled. In other words, another army.

-Tom

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blair
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, you are right. It does seem that it would only make sense for the additional battle being in the same place if their was a second country's unit in that same place.

If this isn't already in the FAQ, it should be added.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Brody
United States
Woodstock
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Blair46 wrote:
Yeah, you are right. It does seem that it would only make sense for the additional battle being in the same place if their was a second country's unit in that same place.

If this isn't already in the FAQ, it should be added.

Noted. Of course cards that state for the rest of the turn are immune to a second attack. It's just a few instances that there could be some confusion, and I'll update the next version of the FAQ to clarify this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blair
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you Sir.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.