Popular Tags: [View All]
Angus the Bull
United States
Elyria
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As the title declares, I just got a Nintendo DS.

Anyone have any game recommendations? I've been playing AoE and loving it. My wife got me Animal Crossing but I've got to wait until Chrismas for that one. soblue She's got got Club House games for hers and we've been playing that via DS download and having a great time.

Looking for other good single player strategy games and what other multi-player should I look at for with the wife?

Getting connected with WiFi: Is it worth it? Best way?
I'm also looking for recommendations here. I've got Broadband at home but all cabled, no wireless. I don't have a laptop that I'd need a wireless router for at this time but what are people's thoughts on a wireless router/hub vs. the nintendo USB for DS connections. Does anyone have experience with Nintendo's product? Signal strength? I know that in my house, if my wife and I are in different rooms the DS signal strength drops to the last bar (not even the extremes for the house). The computer is at one extreme end of the house and I have some concern that I wouldn't be able to get a signal from the USB unless I was nearby. Thoughts?

Thanks!

O

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Montero
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I'll take Manhattan in a garbage bag. With Latin written on it that says "It's hard to give a shit these days"
mbmbmbmbmb
Want strategy games? For the DS, Advanced Wars Dual Strike is the answer.
There are all kinds of good, quirky single player games out there. From Elite beat agents to Trauma Center. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney is very good too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob
United States
30° 12′ 38″ N, 95° 45′ 2″ W
flag msg tools
badge
You can't rob Peter, Paul and Mary to pay yourself.
mbmbmbmbmb
Speaking of quirky single-player strategy: Try NintenDogs, where you feed, train and play with different breeds of dogs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rachel
United Kingdom
Norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I like Phoenix Wright and Trauma Centre too. Trauma Centre really makes good use of the stylus, because you are performing operations and using the stylus as the scalpel or an injection. I also like Brain Academy - its like the Dr Kawashima's Brain Training game but a lot more fun with a lot more entertaining short puzzles.

I got the internet browser for the DS but we have a wireless network already set up. However I don't think that the wifi is very strong because I need to be quite close to the router for it to connect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nairb Attobas
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sifu-uk wrote:
I like Phoenix Wright and Trauma Centre too. Trauma Centre really makes good use of the stylus, because you are performing operations and using the stylus as the scalpel or an injection. I also like Brain Academy - its like the Dr Kawashima's Brain Training game but a lot more fun with a lot more entertaining short puzzles.

My fiancee and I are fans of the brain games, although I prefer the Doctor's Brain Training Age game (or whatever the heck it's called) over the Brain Academy. Just personal choice. The games in the Brain Academy just irritate the crap out of me for some reason. (Doesn't help that I suck at them.) Since the Brain Age one keeps track of your daily progress by maintaining stats and graphs and whatnot, it feels more like a tool than a game, which I like. You also get sudoku (if you're into that kind of thing).

But, yeah... not sure what to suggest with regard to strategy games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Glenn
United States
Virginia Beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
I'll second Advance Wars Duel Strike

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
My son insists I suggest Pokemon Ranger.

Mind you, he is 7.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
Stephen Glenn wrote:
I'll second Advance Wars Duel Strike

Booyah

-MMM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angus the Bull
United States
Elyria
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Advanced Wars Dual Strike

Sounds like what I'm looking for, this will be a must have

Quote:
Trauma Center

This might be something for the wife as she's a medical professional and likes the TV hospital dramas as well.

Quote:
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney

No decision on this one but it seems to be getting some praise elsewhere as well.

Quote:
Nintendogs

My wife has one of these for hers and she spends a bit of time each day "training, feeding and watering" her virtual siberian husky. Of course the real dogs demand more of her attention than the virtual one does. Her complaint - No Virtual Vets office. No wonder she can make money so easily.

Quote:
Brain Age

My wife also has this one for her DS and I've played with it a bit. Fun but the graphs aren't convincing me that I'm making progress. I do like the Soduku though.

Thanks for the input so far.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
david funch
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
mb
M&L: Partners in time is a crazy action RPG that's a little too cute for the level of difficulty involved in it's precision button pressing gameplay. If you've played Paper Mario, you've got the jist of it except Partners is more action/platforming, less RPGing.

Another great strategy game is Prince of Persia. A complex mix of CCG and table top minuatures.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.