Subject: How do you take care of old people? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Martin Kulp
United States
San Pedro
California
flag msg tools
My dad's 83. My mom is showing signs of alzheimer's. I work at Target and make $6.50 an hour.

Now just how the hell am I supposed to pay for their longterm care?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
anthony dawson
United Kingdom
swindon
wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
somebody somewhere once said that the mark of a civilisation is how they care for their elderly.

i know the feeling, im a general practitioner in the uk where we have "free healthcare" except the actual fact is that we have free substandard elderly care (provided you have virtually no assets to help with the cost or you have to pay for substandard elderly care)

i dont mean to make sweeping generalisations but i often see people talking about the uk system as somehow preferable but it too has significant shortcomings. i guess im saying, my sympathies and i sure as *$%£ dont know the answer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew W.
United States
Monessen
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Taoist, Pittsburgh Sports fan, and welcoming to people who are kind, from any walk of life.
badge
I have been playing games since the Atari 2600, Candy Land, Chuttes and Ladders, Go Fish, & the Apple ii. Supporting "the Geek" since 2006
mbmbmbmbmb
Marty, I'm sorry for your situation. The onset of dementia or Alzhiemer's is a terrible thing to watch. I hope your folks are at least comfortable, if not well. If they cannot have health, I wish them mercy and peace in due time.

When my great aunt had gone as far as she could living on her own, I do know there were facilites that were affiliated with her faith (Roman Catholic) that took her in. It broke our hearts to do it, but she really did need the care and supervision that we could not provide. As far as the costs, it was cruel, but they took her in for the whole of her social security monthly payments, as well as billing Medicare for the things that they could. Mercy and peace took her body within a year -- I like to believe her spirit left her at the onset of the decline, and was free long before her body was released from its toil.

I wish you and your folks luck and dignity at their stage of life.

Redbeard in 84

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
How are they being supported now?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Kulp
United States
San Pedro
California
flag msg tools
They still live on their own. My dad walks three miles a day and doesn't have a single indication of any mental decline at all. He's quite capable of taking care of my mom for the time being, but he's 83 and his health luck could give out at any time.

Well, at least we're safe from Saddam Hussein now. That was my first priority before my parent's healthcare...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.