Popular Tags: [View All]
Björn “Beorn” Rabenstein
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yesterday, we tried Imperial for the first time. We liked this remarkable mix of 18xy, Antike and Diplomacy so much that we played it twice in a row.

Some interesting findings from the two games, both with three players:

- This first game lasted two and a half hours, although we were all new to the game. The second took a little bit longer. The power points of the nations were much more evenly distributed in the second game, and the game had more turns. So experience seems to provide more balance.

- The first game had a huge point differential between first and last player, while the second was extremely close. Again, experience provided balance.

- None of the games started with the "early investor" strategy. So no new insights from our side for that.

- Most nations started with Factory, which is, I assume, the typical start for a long-term build-up strategy.

- In the second game, two players started with all of their nations with Factory, while the third player started differently with both of his nations. He became last, but only with a very small point difference.

- In the endgame, we had some of the Investor -> Taxation -> Investor -> Taxation hops described in other threads of the forum. But I am not convinced that this is really a problem. As long as it is not a no-brainer to apply under nearly all circumstances, it's OK. My impression so far is that it requires certain circumstances to reach (and keep!) first before this strategy can be applied successfully.

Altogether, we liked the game a lot. It has so many different levels of indirection. In that sense, it is really much alike to an 18xy game. Sure, you cannot sell bonds, but the investor card rule guarantees frequent switching of directors err governments. Several strategy patterns from 18xy apply, like taking the money out of a state, using a state where you are only marginally more invested than others for dirty jobs, or screwing up a state if there is the threat of a takeover.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jbrier
United States
Aventura
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I know close to nothing about this game, and I still don't know anything after reading this review...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Gritt
United Kingdom
Brighton
East Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a session report, not a review. Its content is perfectly appropriate and informative.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.