Paolo D'Ulisse
Italy
ROMA
Italy
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just curious:
Wasn't the kickstarter map supposed to be mounted? I received with the game a standard Columbia Games map, only a little thicker...
When I read about a "Deluxe Mounted Map" I thought about something similar to GMT COIN maps...
Your opinion? ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leonardo Martino
Italy
Milano
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
well Columbia Games uses thick maps while Gmt uses mounted boards. That's their standard... Don't know what they promised for this kickstarter though..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Daffin
United Kingdom
Ledbury
Herefordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
collezionista wrote:
Just curious:
Wasn't the kickstarter map supposed to be mounted? I received with the game a standard Columbia Games map, only a little thicker...
When I read about a "Deluxe Mounted Map" I thought about something similar to GMT COIN maps...
Your opinion? ninja

Yes, that's exactly what was promised for the Kickstarter.

The thick card map that is in my KS version barely lays flat........ (and looking at other people's photos, it's true for most people?)

I don't think that it lives up to the expectation of what a mounted map is meant to be (i.e. GMT-quality map).

I feel that this KS has been a learning experience for me........
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Berg Asklev Hansen
Denmark
Vejle
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The map is deluxe in Columbia games terms. Compare it to the map in Pacific Victory for example and you will see that ViE´s map is much thicker
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Rice
Scotland
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Columbia's standard game maps are made from thick paper. Their deluxe maps are cardstock like this one. Whether they are similar to GMT maps I can't say.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Daffin
United Kingdom
Ledbury
Herefordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
brian asklev aursen wrote:
The map is deluxe in Columbia games terms. Compare it to the map in Pacific Victory for example and you will see that ViE´s map is much thicker

OK, so it's not a paper map, but 'deluxe' - really?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mattias B
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree, it can hardly be called a "deluxe mounted map", it's not even mounted.

Never mind, I've ordered an enlarged map from a print shop in some kind of canvas. Cost me what the standard board game costs, but whatta hell, this game is worth it (despite the poorly run kickstarter campaign and the less than deluxe map )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Daffin
United Kingdom
Ledbury
Herefordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sylvestris wrote:
I agree, it can hardly be called a "deluxe mounted map", it's not even mounted.

Never mind, I've ordered an enlarged map from a print shop in some kind of canvas. Cost me what the standard board game costs, but whatta hell, this game is worth it (despite the poorly run kickstarter campaign and the less than deluxe map )

I took 'mounted' to be mounted on a board, not on thick card - more fool me.......

I've also opted to use a local imaging company to produce me a 19% larger board-mounted map - images to follow later this week!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Well at least it's thick card stock! Got that going for us. laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
O. C.
Spain
flag msg tools
blablabla
badge
lololo
mbmbmbmbmb
This "Deluxe Mounted Map" is a joke... Too small and too thin yuk
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Rice
Scotland
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, I think the map is rather wonderful. I could always mount it on a plank of wood if I wanted it thicker. But for what?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
Very little research is required to learn what cg means by mounted map.

Very, very little was required to see the size of the map, it was on ks from day one and the center of the project.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Kaxte wrote:
This "Deluxe Mounted Map" is a joke... Too small and too thin yuk

To be fair about the size, they purposely sized it so to fit inside the box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
O. C.
Spain
flag msg tools
blablabla
badge
lololo
mbmbmbmbmb
Wimplesaur wrote:
Actually, I think the map is rather wonderful.

Map art is great, I agree.

Wimplesaur wrote:

I could always mount it on a plank of wood if I wanted it thicker. But for what?

My board doesn't lay flat.

scifiantihero wrote:
Very little research is required to learn what cg means by mounted map.

Now I see: "mounted map" means "unmounted map" for Columbia Games shake

scifiantihero wrote:

Very, very little was required to see the size of the map, it was on ks from day one and the center of the project.

Exactly: too small since day one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Rice
Scotland
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The map will fold flat, but as with the paper maps from Columbia, there's a little trick to it.

Once the map is opened up, you need to carefully back-fold each of the map creases against the direction of fold.

When that's done the map will lay flat nicely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paolo D'Ulisse
Italy
ROMA
Italy
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Having said that I am a fan of Columbia Games and I own a lot of their games, maybe if they had written "Thick Cardstock Map" instead of "Deluxe Mounted Map" I would have understood better what to expect... not only Mounted but Deluxe Mounted... The map I received doesnt seem deluxe mounted... cool
I dont complain about the size...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Rice
Scotland
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
collezionista wrote:
Having said that I am a fan of Columbia Games and I onw a lot of their games, maybe if they had written "Thick Cardstock Map" instead of "Deluxe Mounted Map" I would have understood better what to expect... not only Mounted but Deluxe Mounted... The map I received doesnt seem deluxe mounted... cool
I dont complain about the size...

I agree that the phrase, "Deluxe mounted map" seems to have misled some people. I always took it to mean deluxe in terms of being an upgrade from the standard CG paper maps, so I'm fully satisfied with it. Others seem to have expected something like a Monopoly board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Wimplesaur wrote:
I always took it to mean deluxe in terms of being an upgrade from the standard CG paper maps, so I'm fully satisfied with it. Others seem to have expected something like a Monopoly board.

Well, that may be the case for you and other experienced CG customers. But how about all those KS backers that didn't "know" Columbia Games?

While doing your homework is certainly a requirement before pledging for any Kickstarter project, I'm sure for many backers this was there first venture/exposure to a CG game. Was examining CG's pedigree of "mounted boards" so to arrive at Columbia's unique definition of a mounted board, part of that expected homework?

Let's face it - there's a commonly accepted definition in our hobby of what's meant by "mounted" board. And if a publisher doesn't prescribe to that definition, then they should be very clear in their descriptions of their game to describe exactly what their boards are.

I don't think anyone is faulting CG for producing a thick cardstock map, per se. The fault is referring to that thick cardstock as "mounted". While technically true, it doesn't fit the commonly accepted definition of "mounted". (And then there's the "deluxe" part...). Columbia Games knows this and should've just pointed that out, is all. Because a lot of people who buy/pledge for CG games are first-time customers.

Other than not being what people expected, it's a fine mapboard otherwise (size issues aside). And everyone would've been OK with it (again, size issues aside) if CG had just called it what it is from the getgo.

Edit (add-on to change gears): However, I DO give CG lots of credit for sending all of us (KS backers - those who got the map in question) a digital image of the board. Now, that was a really nice gesture! Makes you think that they knew there would be "unrest" over the map board so to mitigate the looming unrest as best as they could, they sent out the digital map. Whatever the motivation, I love that they did that. And while people will grumble that the digital version is useless unless one spends money out of pocket, it was a good gesture nonetheless. I wish more publishers would make available a digital version of their boards!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Daffin
United Kingdom
Ledbury
Herefordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bgm1961 wrote:

Wimplesaur wrote:
I always took it to mean deluxe in terms of being an upgrade from the standard CG paper maps, so I'm fully satisfied with it. Others seem to have expected something like a Monopoly board.

Well, that may be the case for you and other experienced CG customers. But how about all those KS backers that didn't "know" Columbia Games?

While doing your homework is certainly a requirement before pledging for any Kickstarter project, I'm sure for many backers this was there first venture/exposure to a CG game. Was examining CG's pedigree of "mounted boards" so to arrive at Columbia's unique definition of amounted board, part of that expected homework?

Let's face it - there's a commonly accepted definition in our hobby of what's meant by "mounted" board. And if a publisher doesn't prescribe to that definition, then they should be very clear in their descriptions of their game to describe exactly what their boards are.

I don't think anyone is faulting CG for producing a thick cardstock map, per se. The fault is referring to that thick cardstock as "mounted". While technically true, it doesn't fit the commonly accepted definition of "mounted". (And then there's the "deluxe" part...). Columbia Games knows this and should've just pointed that out, is all. Because a lot of people who buy/pledge for CG games are first-time customers.

Other than not being what people expected, it's a fine mapboard otherwise (size issues aside). And everyone would've been OK with it (again, size issues aside) if CG had just called it what it is from the

Barry has summed it up perfectly.

I wouldn't expect this to happen to a 'deluxe mounted map':

(By the way, I'm taking no pleasure in harping on about this, but I do feel that we were mis-led about this. GMT, DVG and other game companies produce deluxe mounted maps on board-stock. BTW, I love the map graphic, but I would really have loved to have it on a decent board.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paolo D'Ulisse
Italy
ROMA
Italy
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bgm1961 wrote:
However, I DO give CG lots of credit for sending all of us (KS backers - those who got the map in question) a digital image of the board. Now, that was a really nice gesture! Makes you think that they knew there would be "unrest" over the map board so to mitigate the looming unrest as best as they could, they sent out the digital map. Whatever the motivation, I love that they did that. And while people will grumble that the digital version is useless unless one spends money out of pocket, it was a good gesture nonetheless. I wish more publishers would make available a digital version of their boards!

Where did you get this image?... I'm a KS backer but I dont remember to have received it... robot

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
collezionista wrote:
bgm1961 wrote:
However, I DO give CG lots of credit for sending all of us (KS backers - those who got the map in question) a digital image of the board. Now, that was a really nice gesture! Makes you think that they knew there would be "unrest" over the map board so to mitigate the looming unrest as best as they could, they sent out the digital map. Whatever the motivation, I love that they did that. And while people will grumble that the digital version is useless unless one spends money out of pocket, it was a good gesture nonetheless. I wish more publishers would make available a digital version of their boards!

Where did you get this image?... I'm a KS backer but I dont remember to have received it... robot
Check your emails - the link was in one of those.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
O. C.
Spain
flag msg tools
blablabla
badge
lololo
mbmbmbmbmb
collezionista wrote:
bgm1961 wrote:

KS Update #34
Mar 6 2015
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paolo D'Ulisse
Italy
ROMA
Italy
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kaxte wrote:
collezionista wrote:
bgm1961 wrote:

KS Update #34
Mar 6 2015

Thx I will check!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
daron slaybaugh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
can anyone forward me that email. i cant find it in my folders. golfnut40@embarqmail.com

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paolo D'Ulisse
Italy
ROMA
Italy
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dragon444 wrote:
can anyone forward me that email. i cant find it in my folders. golfnut40@embarqmail.com

I could not find the mail but downloaded the map directly from the kickstarter site - update #34... there is the link to download...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.