Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric Paquet
Canada
Thetford Mines
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why am I reading so many posts from people bothered by luck in Thebes? The mechanics fit perfectly with the theme and make the experience more realistic. Think about archeologists who devote their entire life digging in search for artefacts. They accept that they simply cannot control everything. Can people who play this game can also accept it for just 90 minutes?

It's amazing how people here constantly try to "improve" games that are labeled as "family games", by sucking the luck out of them just to make them more suitable for "gamer" brain.

Do people who complain about Chess being too abstract tweak the game by introducing some luck? No, they just move on and play another game that is more in line with their tastes.

We are "lucky" enough to live in an epoch that offers a plethora of games. People should enjoy the ones that fit their tastes and shouldn't bother about the other ones.

And after all, isn't luck part of life, like it or not? Does it mean that all zero-luck games are unrealistic and unthematic?

To conclude on a more philosophical note : are people trying to seek perfect control in games because they are frustrated by not being in control of their own life?

What do you think?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Toms Leikums
Latvia
Jelgava
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like Thebes, but still see, how drawing from the bag can be frustrating, even for fans of this game. I agree that luck is thematic here, and the game is well made. Nonetheless I understand those, who don't want to play the game ever again after one unsatisfying experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Roskam
United States
Birmingham
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with the OP on this one... This is a game of luck mitigation. Improving your odds for success is a critical part of innumerable game designs. While it is difficult, even painful to deal with a carefully constructed large pull that yields nothing but dirt, the law of averages says that the best strategy will win in the long haul.

The fact that a small expedition might stike it rich with a high yield of the best artifacts is both thematic and an exciting part of this game...sort of a push your luck against the odds and get paid off for your boldness thing ... This is an important part of the fun of Thebes.

The "you can't win because I actually played more correctly than you" crowd should probably stick to chess, Agricola, and Puerto Rico.

I think if someone is playing games to prove every time that they are smarter than their opponents, they will not like this game, or any game where a less calculating player can still win out of shear boldness combined with a favorable deviation in the odds. I play to win, but I play for fun... And the fun of Thebes for me is the tension of reaching in that bag and not knowing what exactly will come out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Vinyard
United States
Las Cruces
NM
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Theme? Check.

Luck? Check.

Lots of fun? Double check!

My only gripe with Thebes? It only supports up to 4 players. I wish there were a little larger map with 5 or 6.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fenmar
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Zooboo wrote:
To conclude on a more philosophical note : are people trying to seek perfect control in games because they are frustrated by not being in control of their own life?

A very good point. I feel touched by this note, and will keep in mind in the future when thinking about myself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.