Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff Donigian
United States
Fremont
NH
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm playing through this brilliant game right now and having a blast! I'm playing the Main Event scenario, currently in June 1941. The Axis is doing suspiciously well. They got a lot of lucky die rolls and Diplomacy pulls. France fell by May 1940, and the Italians have conquered almost all of North Africa and the Middle East. Spain activated as an Axis country. Turkey activated as as Soviet country.

The UK is surprisingly close to collapse after the North African blitz, somewhere around 11 Will left. They've been booted out of both Europe and North Africa, so I guess they're just biding their time until an amphibious invasion of North Africa and then Europe is plausible. I'm thinking they might attack through French North Africa, and then invade mainland Spain, however that might change as Gibraltar has fallen. I was also considering invading Portugal, which has been left devoid of any units after being conquered by Spain/Germany.

The Axis invasion of Russia took off very well in Feb 1941, despite poor weather. The USSR attempted an immediate counter-attack through Romania, which was almost empty since it had just activated. It ended almost disastrously for them, as they were quickly repulsed by the German 3 Panzer and both Romanian armies. Russian resistance in the Baltics was weaker than it should have been, which allowed the Germans to break through and encircle the Northern flank of the Russian line.

Finland and Sweden are currently attempting to break out of Scandinavia, aided by a single German Infantry unit.

On the South side of things, the Afrika Korps, Yugoslavia, Bulgaria, and Italy are doing pretty well invading Turkey. Constantinople is about to fall, and while the bulk of the Turkish army was distracted in the North, Italian units began to invade from the South, fresh from conquering Syria. If any of these forces invading Turkey are allowed into mainland Russia, then the USSR will almost definitely collapse.

More updates to come as I play more
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe C Faust
United States
Hartville
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Keep the updates coming! I'm just learning this one now, making my way through a game of Case Blue where the Axis has been slow on the attack, but finally took Rostov in the south, albeit a few months behind "schedule".

I'm looking forward to playing through the training games and then setting up the Main Event. I have a head full of alternate strategies I'd like to try out. This game could be on my table for years.

Not bad considering I'm mostly a Tactical level guy. But the videos and reviews I saw on this one sold me. It does pretty much everything I want a game at this level to do without the complexity. I think it's a brilliant design.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E M
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmb
Great! Are you playing solo?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Dey
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds great - I'm interested to hear more! As a note, when you said that Sweden and Finland are trying to break out of Scandinavia, I wanted to mention that Axis Swedish troops can't enter Axis Finland because of the non-cooperation policy. However, they could strat move into Russia if the Finnish or German troops make enough headway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Salvatore Vasta
United States
Woodstock
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Exciting. I'm glad to hear you are enjoying the game. Definitely keep us informed.

The Axis are doing incredibly well within a time frame that seems very short. It does make me wonder if perhaps you missed something rules wise that would have tempered that. Not that it matters much if you are having fun, because having fun is the point. However, it may impact replayability for future games.

Sal
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Yedidia
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
svasta wrote:
Exciting. I'm glad to hear you are enjoying the game. Definitely keep us informed.

The Axis are doing incredibly well within a time frame that seems very short. It does make me wonder if perhaps you missed something rules wise that would have tempered that. Not that it matters much if you are having fun, because having fun is the point. However, it may impact replayability for future games.

Sal

E.g., it's pretty hard to conquer France by May 1940, but becomes much easier if one forgets about the Home Defense Policy that forces the Germans to keep 3 armies and 2 air forces on the Eastern front. Maybe that rule was forgotten?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Donigian
United States
Fremont
NH
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Duncan Ferguson wrote:
Great! Are you playing solo?

Yep!

mark dey wrote:
Sounds great - I'm interested to hear more! As a note, when you said that Sweden and Finland are trying to break out of Scandinavia, I wanted to mention that Axis Swedish troops can't enter Axis Finland because of the non-cooperation policy. However, they could strat move into Russia if the Finnish or German troops make enough headway.

Swedish troops strat moved into Russian Karelia. I'm not 100% certain it was a legal move, but I don't have the rulebook in front of me so I could be wrong.

svasta wrote:

Sal

Yeah, I know I've made a few mistakes, but for the most part, the Allies have rolled a statistically improbably amount of ones. I'm loving the game, by the way! You're a brilliant man!

jed2000 wrote:

E.g., it's pretty hard to conquer France by May 1940, but becomes much easier if one forgets about the Home Defense Policy that forces the Germans to keep 3 armies and 2 air forces on the Eastern front. Maybe that rule was forgotten?

I actually remembered that policy. The early conquering of France was due to unseasonably decent weather and an early Italian activation tying up French units in southern France and French North Africa, as well as just plain poor die rolls. I think my green weather die (which I've designated the Allied die as well) may be loaded

Thanks for the tips and feedback everyone! I've been studying the rulebook whenever I can, hoping to iron out the rest of the kinks in my play. I'll probably post part two tonight, however I'm not positive as to the best way to do it. Should I keep editing updates into this post, or post each part on its own?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Yedidia
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jeffiesnugglebottom wrote:
I'll probably post part two tonight, however I'm not positive as to the best way to do it. Should I keep editing updates into this post, or post each part on its own?

I'd keep adding new posts to this thread. If you edit your original post, people won't know there's something new to read.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.