GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,487 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
17 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
4 Posts

Cargo Noir» Forums » Rules

Subject: Syndicate question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff Boes
United States
Saint Joseph
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We played a five-player game last night as our first experience with this, and it was enjoyable. One question arose: If you have one or two syndicates, and you are outbid at a port, can you do this:

* Resolve the port by retrieving your ship and your old bid, and collecting coins for the syndicate(s);

* (do whatever you choose in step 2)

* Return a ship to that same port (with a higher bid of course).

For one of our players, that seemed to be against the spirit of the rules. You'd normally have to have the money to increase a bid during phase 1, but this allows you to increase the bid in phase 3, essentially.

Is this correct?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Roberts
United Kingdom
Burton On Trent
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
Sysop of "Big Bang Burger Bar" Forum (www.bigbangburgerbar.co.uk)
badge
Organiser of "Raiders of the Game Cupboard" (www.raidersofthegamecupboard.co.uk)
mbmbmbmbmb
MurWiz wrote:
We played a five-player game last night as our first experience with this, and it was enjoyable. One question arose: If you have one or two syndicates, and you are outbid at a port, can you do this:

* Resolve the port by retrieving your ship and your old bid, and collecting coins for the syndicate(s);

* (do whatever you choose in step 2)

* Return a ship to that same port (with a higher bid of course).

For one of our players, that seemed to be against the spirit of the rules. You'd normally have to have the money to increase a bid during phase 1, but this allows you to increase the bid in phase 3, essentially.

Is this correct?

With a Syndicate it allows you to take 2 coins for withdrawing from ONE port a round. If you get a second syndicate it allows you to withdraw from from TWO ports a round collecting 2 coins for each withdrawal. You are never allowed to go back into a port you have withdrawn from that round.

Also covered in this thread
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Boes
United States
Saint Joseph
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm. I read that thread before posting here, but I didn't see anything there (or in the rules, might have missed it) that restricted where you could place a ship. To be clear, I'm talking about this sequence:

* Start of my turn, I have a ship in NY and a previously purchased Syndicate. I am outbid in NY by 1 coin, but I have no coins to bid it up.

* I resolve NY by withdrawing my ship, and collect 2 coins for doing so.

* I resolve all my other ships.

* I choose to trade in, or not, doesn't matter.

* Then I put my ships back out. One of them goes on NY, with my previous bid, plus 1-2 coins (made from the syndicate).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ilias Sellountos
United States
Henrico
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rules, page 4 wrote:
Abandon this Port's Cargo to the competition by removing his Ship and taking his coins back into his Safe. Important: By doing so, the player forfeits any chance to get this Cargo (unless other players keep the competition alive for another turn). He is not allowed to send ships back to this Port when redeploying his ships during Phase 3 of this turn, though he may still do so in later turns.

Rules, page 6 wrote:
Each Syndicate card lets the player who owns it collect 2 coins once per turn, when he abandons a Port’s cargo to a higher bidding Competitor (during Phase 1 of a turn).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.