22 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Hot Deals

Subject: [Ebay] Container: The Second Shipment for ~30$ + 12$ shipping rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lior A
France
flag msg tools

Dirt cheap expansion for this ultra expensive game.

Found it on ebay, guy says he has more than 10 copies, crazy!

Container: The Second Shipment

http://www.ebay.fr/itm/CONTAINER-THE-SECOND-SHIPMENT-EXPANSI...BSS:FR:3160

Enjoy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lior A
France
flag msg tools
No idea. It is not my listing.

But a friend of mine just ordered from him so it should work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Shibley
United States
Boonton
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Price has increased and may continue to increase. It appears the seller did not know the true value of the item. I told him it was worth about $50.. is this accurate?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Perry
United States
Red Lion
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
Noble Rat wrote:
Price has increased and may continue to increase. It appears the seller did not know the true value of the item. I told him it was worth about $50.. is this accurate?

I'm personally not interested in this, but why would you tell him to hike the price when you aren't even sure of its value, or even at all? Now it's been ruined for others...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Shibley
United States
Boonton
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Firstly, I didn't tell him to hike the price up: he messaged me when I asked for a second copy and said he didn't know the value of the item but had raised it at the advice of another customer. He became suspicious when copies started selling faster than he anticipated.

Secondly, a deal is one thing. Ripping off an unsuspecting seller is another. I was happy to buy a few copies when I thought he had a glut that he wanted rid of but after speaking with him realized he didn't know what he had and felt bad. I figured I'd ask the gentlemen on BGG what a "fair" price was.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You're a good person for telling them.

Noble Rat wrote:
Firstly, I didn't tell him to hike the price up: he messaged me when I asked for a second copy and said he didn't know the value of the item but had raised it at the advice of another customer. He became suspicious when copies started selling faster than he anticipated.

Secondly, a deal is one thing. Ripping off an unsuspecting seller is another. I was happy to buy a few copies when I thought he had a glut that he wanted rid of but after speaking with him realized he didn't know what he had and felt bad. I figured I'd ask the gentlemen on BGG what a "fair" price was.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyone buying this item knows its value - high, due to rarity.

Kusanagi888 wrote:
Noble Rat wrote:

I'm personally not interested in this, but why would you tell him to hike the price when you aren't even sure of its value, or even at all? Now it's been ruined for others...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dj sabor
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Noble Rat wrote:

So, did you pay him the higher price for both your copies? Just wondering.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Shibley
United States
Boonton
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, I hate to be the "bad guy" but I've definitely seen this game for more than $19.99 GBP.

darthhugo wrote:
You're a good person for telling them.

Noble Rat wrote:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Shibley
United States
Boonton
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No he's a nice guy and honored the original price. Wasn't expecting that but was plesantly surprised. Good people are out there, folks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Baxter
Canada
Calgary
AB
flag msg tools
Supercalifragiliticexmealidocious
badge
Mars by 2050!
mbmbmbmbmb
Of course now he needs to re-title his listing as it's no longer "CHEAP".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick C.
United States
Milford
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
Because I served, I will resist
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think the expansion is nearly as valuable as many seem to think.

The expansion is poorly rated compared to the base game. For years it has sat at around $40. I sold a copy myself for around $50 last year. That was after sitting on it for a year at around $80 or so. Spielboy shows sales on BGG to be in the $40 range throughout 2013. Only two copies sold in 2015, one below $40, one above.

The expansion is also rather small. And some of the best parts (the loans) can be done PnP.

On Amazon two sellers are asking $115+. However, the sales rank is almost 800K. For a toy on Amazon that's horrible. We're talking one copy sold in one, maybe two years. The expansion isn't moving on Amazon.

The original asking price was actually pretty darn close to the historical norm for what this sells for. Why it's suddenly getting trumped up as somehow more valuable is beyond me. It doesn't add enough to the game to pay through the nose for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have seen two copies go for $85 and $92, per eBay auction. So, relative to its contents, that is pretty high. Remember, the BGG data is far from complete - I know many sales that I have been the buyer that were never recorded/conducted through the marketplace. Sometimes, granularity is lost when multiples get dumped into one item...

So refering to the BGG marketplace data as The Word is fraught with peril.

travvller wrote:
I don't think the expansion is nearly as valuable as many seem to think.

The expansion is poorly rated compared to the base game. For years it has sat at around $40. I sold a copy myself for around $50 last year. That was after sitting on it for a year at around $80 or so. Spielboy shows sales on BGG to be in the $40 range throughout 2013. Only two copies sold in 2015, one below $40, one above.

The expansion is also rather small. And some of the best parts (the loans) can be done PnP.

On Amazon two sellers are asking $115+. However, the sales rank is almost 800K. For a toy on Amazon that's horrible. We're talking one copy sold in one, maybe two years. The expansion isn't moving on Amazon.

The original asking price was actually pretty darn close to the historical norm for what this sells for. Why it's suddenly getting trumped up as somehow more valuable is beyond me. It doesn't add enough to the game to pay through the nose for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
-=::) Dante (::=-
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
travvller wrote:
The expansion is poorly rated compared to the base game.

Indeed. After researching it last year I removed this from my wish list even though Container is one of my wife's most prized games.

If I recall the best received part of the expansion doesn't even need pnp, it's just a rules variant. While the component driven parts of the expansion were not regarded very well by many.

So it's worth keeping in mind that unless you're a completionist the high value here is due to scarcity not quality. It's value while in print was debated and the expansion was passed on by many fans of the base game even when it was cheap.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve B
United States
Springfield
MO
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Now that the guy is selling 10+ copies of them their price should drop as the market gets more saturated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
yeahbowen wrote:
Now that the guy is selling 10+ copies of them their price should drop as the market gets more saturated.

Yeahhhh, that's not going to happen. Even a few dozen copies is hardly enough to significantly devalue something that is scarce and long out of print.

I've seen similar tiny caches of titles pop up like this over the years and it has never once changed their general market valuation in any significant way. Only a second edition or reprint will.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dj sabor
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm personally still amused by the guy who was all heart and told him to raise the price, while purchasing two copies for himself _at_ the lower price. It's pretty good for a chuckle!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick C.
United States
Milford
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
NuMystic wrote:
yeahbowen wrote:

Yeahhhh, that's not going to happen. Even a few dozen copies is hardly enough to significantly devalue something that is scarce and long out of print.

I've seen similar tiny caches of titles pop up like this over the years and it has never once changed their general market valuation in any significant way. Only a second edition or reprint will.

If you were talking about the base game of Container I'd agree with you. But not this expansion. Quality does play a role in how valuable these things become.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
travvller wrote:
NuMystic wrote:
yeahbowen wrote:

If you were talking about the base game of Container I'd agree with you. But not this expansion. Quality does play a role in how valuable these things become.

Well sure but that doesn't change that these few copies showing up now aren't going to change it's already established value over the long term since that value already factors in it's quality and demand compared to the base game.

I guarantee that 6 months from now when this small batch is long gone it will be selling for exactly the same range it was 6 months ago which is all I was saying.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Maxwell
United States
Burtchville
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The personal loans module is, for me, the best part of this expansion. That part is super easy to proxy though. The gold containers are interesting, but I'm not whether sure they improve the game or clutter it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick C.
United States
Milford
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
NuMystic wrote:
travvller wrote:
NuMystic wrote:
yeahbowen wrote:

Well sure but that doesn't change that these few copies showing up now aren't going to change it's already established value over the long term since that value already factors in it's quality and demand compared to the base game.

I guarantee that 6 months from now when this small batch is long gone it will be selling for exactly the same range it was 6 months ago which is all I was saying.

But as I noted earlier, the historical norm for this expansion hovers around $40 or so. A few copies have sold for well above $50*, but most have been below $50. My whole point was that the original asking price, along with shipping, was close to the normal selling price.

*Some sellers group games together into one single purchase. It screws up the whole system. Say you win three or four games in an auction. Seller tries to save time by putting them all under one listing. It's possible that at least one of the outliers for this game was the result of this. See spielboy.com for a breakdown of the copies sold here on BGG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
All I did was point out that this small cache of games turning up isn't going to significantly deflate the market value of this item in the long term.

By definition "market value" is the recent historical norm. I never made a case for it being worth more.

This seems to be a case of violent agreement as I have no idea what you were "disagreeing" with? Did you somehow misinterpret my statement as a defense of this carrying a steeply inflated price tag, because that is certainly not the case.

If you read my earlier posts I even debated it's value at MSRP while it was still in print!

The fact that they're not flying out of this guy's stock at the current price is proof enough that it's not valued by most at this amount or more. (there will always be occasional outliers)

As for spielboy I've written at length here in Hot Deals and the Trading Forum about misleading metrics due to combined lots. It's easy enough to parse which is which in most cases though by simply hovering over the data point which shows the marketplace listing text.

When you see things like "only for x user" and "auction win" you know that it may not be for the single item. Unfortunately not every seller does this so one always needs to take Spielboy listings with a grain of salt. This is why only the majority of sales matter in establishing true market value not the outliers.

Even though I personally think this item is not worth the crazy prices, in this case at least two of the highest appear to be authentic single item marketplace sales as their listing text was simply "new in shrink, shipping x amount".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.