Subject: Is this game language-independent? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Colin Sykes
Thailand
Bangkok
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There seems to be some text on the cards. How difficult would this make playing a foreign-language version of the game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Though I've never played the game, based solely on the following image, I'd say probably not... A crib sheet would probably do, but it depends how many cards are like these:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Schulzetenberg
United States
Los Angeles
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Off the top of my head, those cards are the only ones you need to translate. They make up roughly 1/6 of the deck, and they come up a lot, so you'll get familiar with them after a couple plays. Might be a little tricky at first.

I would see if you can try this game before investing too much time in it. The theme is really cool, but most of our group finds the game a little bit too long for what it is. I'd hate to have you spend a long time making a custom version, only to find out that you don't like it that much. There's a reason that the game's got a low average score...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
keith hunt
United Kingdom
Bradford
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not entirely language independant. There are multiple copies of 6 different dark blue cards in the playing deck. The text from these can easily be converted to a simple refernce sheet. Similarly the three unique castle cards and orange okugata cards. All other cards carry a title plus 3 numbers (honor, Ki, strength. Should be easy to covert I would have thought.
Biggest problem would be translating the rule book!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sergio Cesco-Cancian
United States
Warrington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I have the English version, but it was bought over a year ago at Board and Bits ( USA ). The Japanese version is nicer and has Japanese Katana characters on the dice. Paul is right, most of the cards do not need a translation. Boulder games has the english version for $ 24.80 .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maitre Sinh
France
Marseille
Provence
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i've got a german version oif the game. Could someone help me providing the original english texts ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iain Cameron
Scotland
East Kilbride
Glasgow
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'm in a similar position, I bought the German version, but need rules in English plus translations for the cards which have text on them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.