Jon Purkis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
youtube.com/c/actualol
badge
Actualol Board Game Videos
mbmb
Reading the front page of the manual reminded me of the brilliant dystopian sci-fi film Equilibrium. It's a very similar world, where peace has been achieved through suppressing people's creativity and emotion by force. The people have injected themselves with drugs to stop them from feeling emotions and committing "sense offenses".

This had me wondering whether there was potential for the theme to come out more in the gameplay? Currently it doesn't feel (to me) like any of the characters or equipment evoke that dystopian theme. Instead of laying a bomb, could the agent provoke emotion in a hunter which leads it to act irrationally until another hunter re-injects them? Perhaps rather than picking a traitor at the start, the agent could "turn" a hunter during the game?

Maybe it's ridiculous, but you could play a variant where the people playing the hunters aren't allowed to show emotion (get angry etc.) in keeping with the characters they are playing. If they do, there could be a punishment of some sort (move one less space, or something).

Anyway, I don't have any brilliant ideas right now, but I was hoping to start a discussion on it - does anyone else have any ideas?

And I'd love to see more of the Equilibrium/1984 dystopian theme come through in future expansions. Since the current thematic elements seem to only carry the basic sci-fi tropes of mutants and biotic humans that could be found in many games/worlds.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Hoyt
United States
East Liverpool
Ohio
flag msg tools
ボルトン
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jonpurkis wrote:
Reading the front page of the manual reminded me of the brilliant dystopian sci-fi film Equilibrium. It's a very similar world, where peace has been achieved through suppressing people's creativity and emotion by force. The people have injected themselves with drugs to stop them from feeling emotions and committing "sense offenses".

That's a great example of the Theme. I had forgotten about this movie. I always liked the "Gun-Kata" sequences as well. This is my 3rd favorite Bale flick. (ie. 1.Batman, 2.Reign of Fire, 3.Equilibrium)

The ability to Turn a Hunter is an interesting one...Maybe the Agent wouldn't have to reveal his self if it was the "turned" hunter who would have seen him. The Hunters would need some way to counter this after a turn or two tops otherwise it becomes too unbalanced in the Agents favor. Maybe the "turning" is temporary and it will take D2 turns for the Chemicals to be neutralized in the Hunters bloodstream.

Which probably has the same net game mechanic effect as Stunned. But might be an interesting "Specialty Equipment" that could be fired(?) at a Hunter.

~Will
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.